Models with Mirror Lock Up

brian_carter2

<p>I'm trying to determine out which of Canon's *current* DSLR's have an MLU feature for vibration reduction (not cleaning), and how high one must go up in the model line to get the feature.</p>

<p>I'm mostly shooting medium format for landscapes/nature and trying to decide on a DSLR to augment that and for help in metering my shots. Kinda getting down to the nikon vs. canon decision and real differences. In the near future I'll go full frame but not quite yet..</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Yep, they all have MLU and most have several ways of engaging it. The easiest way is to simply use LV. If you wanna use the VF with MLU, you needed to enable it via the menu. It's often buried in the CF so it helps to add it the the custom memory preset if you use it regularly. I like using the RC-1 with 2-second delay: press button, mirrors looks up and shutter fires 2 seconds latter. It's the fastest method for me and doesn't require swimming through the menus.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>The RC-1 remote has two release settings: immediate and 2 sec delay. When you use the RC-1's 2-sec delay setting the mirror immediately flips up and the shutter releases 2 seconds later. I used MLU thus on my Elan, IX, Elan 7E and now on my 5DII. I haven't tried the RC-1 with any of the Rebels but I suspect they function the same. The 5D (MKI), 10D, 20D, 30D, 40D and 50D are not compatible with the RC-1 remote.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>`I'm trying to determine out which of Canon's *current* DSLR's have an MLU feature for vibration reduction (not cleaning),`</p>

<p>Just a side note Brian in case of misreading your post. Do not use MLU, `B` ,LV or any other method but `Sensor clean` mode to clean a DSLR as this is the only mode that`ll desensitize the sensor AFAIK. anyother way leaves the sensor statically charged and a magnet for dust hair etc...HTH ;-)</p>

<p>Be aware that some of the models will not allow the mirror to stay locked up more than 30 seconds at a time.(or clost to it) Not a lot of use when you have a flower setup waiting for a bee or hummingbird to come into the perfect spot for your photo. Miss the older mechanical bodies that had a mirror lockup that you would set and could wait all you wanted.</p>