50mm time

<p>I thought about this when I read the thread about "lenses so good you had to buy a body for them." The 50mm f2 Nikkor I had for so long had gathered dust long enough. I mounted it on the FE-2 I picked up last month and decided to see if this lens was as good as I'd heard. I was pleasantly surprised. What 50mm experiences do the rest of you have? Share pics if you've got 'em.</p><div>00Tw2V-154607584.jpg.8d2b82b651e83ca8b49f9734c2b3ad04.jpg</div>

<p>For color, my "newer" Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF ($110 plus shipping) is one of the best lenses I own (except for the sense of build quality). Oops, I realized this is a classic camera forum. Never mind, just pretend this is my 45mm GN Nikkor.<g> Sorry.</p><div>00Tw4Y-154627584.jpg.2edc9683f9e8e6722a99ef7328fc095b.jpg</div>

<p>A few weeks ago, my (former) boss, Anne, asked me to shoot her dog (with a camera of course). I brought my Nikkormat FT2 with the F2/50 Nikkor, just after sunrise. The light was kind of reddish as it usually is that early at Bluffers Park. The shots came out nicely.</p><div>00TwA4-154673684.jpg.e794b8b6b0498cc9493c95b11c0dbf94.jpg</div>

<p>I think it would be difficult to find a real "dog" among the 50mm lenses. There may possibly be a few old uncoated triplets from way back that might be soft at the wider apertures, but I really haven't done much research in that area. Along with the lenses that are renowned for their sharpness as well as those that are seldom heard of or perhaps got a bad reputation because of a bad sample, the ability to take a technically good photograph is there. In other words, maybe human error. I've certainly missed focus or misjudged how much depth of field I need many times. BTW, thanks for all the responses.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I think it would be difficult to find a real "dog" among the 50mm lenses</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Actually, it would be hard to find a mechanically more deficient, and optically more mediocre, 50mm lens for the 35mm format than the ill-fated Meyer Domiplan 50mm f/2.8. Of the near dozen specimens of this bow-wow (grrr.., arf, arf) that I have accumulated in various mounts, almost all of the M42 mount automatic diaphragms are non-functional. At the same time, I have seen some very nice pictures taken with the lens. For example, among various lenses put into use by Subbarayan Prasanna in his pregrinations about Bangalore, I believe he has used this one on occasion.</p>

<p>So as we have all told the younglings lusting after bigger and costlier glass, "it ain't the glass, it's the photographer."</p>

<p>Of course, the Domiplan was well matched to the <em>pre</em> -Praktica L series cameras that it was often the cheap lens for. No Red Banner award for Meyer on this one.</p>

<p>Some of us think that the 50mm f 2.0 for RF was the best ever, and the 50mm f2.0 for SLR was actually better than the later 50mm f 1.8.</p>

<p>I still have both of the 50 f2.0's and my 1961 RF Nikon has had 1 repair (last year) in the 48 years of its life. </p>

<p>Lynn</p>

<p>Our Nikkor 50/2 AI is a fine lens, have gotten great images, close, mid-distance, distance. Image quality isn't about the latest-and-greatest, coolest looking lens with a massive lenshade and huge front element. One of my best lenses is a Micro-Nikkor 55mm/3.5 lens from the mid 60s, the elements look tiny by comparison with modern AF lenses, yet it produces great images.</p>