Bouncing to an Umbrella?

<p>Will somebody please explain this concept to me. I just read in an article where the photographer talked about bouncing a flash into an umbrella instead of using a direct flash for softer lighting.</p>

<p>Do they literally mean an umbrella that you would buy in a store to keep you dry or is this a type of diffuser that I am just cluelesss about?<br>

Also, how exactly does this process work and can it be achieved easily?<br>

Thanks<br>

Miller</p>

<p>Adorama sells photo umbrellas of various sizes and types. Basic concept is a light source that covers a larger visual angle relative to the subject, so you'll get more diffusion by placing the light-plus-umbrella closer to your subject. Flash-to-subject distance which normally controls exposure becomes flash-to-umbrella-to-subject distance, plus an extra f-stop for light absorbed and spilled by the umbrella. An alternative is a softbox, which gives more directional light and usually more of it.</p>

<p>To get the concept down, consider pointing your flash at the ceiling, a wall, or a corner where walls and ceiling meet, rather than at your subject. Same principle, but it's called bounce flash. Same exposure calculation as above for white walls; more exposure for darker walls, and you have to think about the color cast they impart to your flash. A very portable flash diffuser is called a bounce card: auxiliary flash unit mounted on camera, pointed straight up, into an angled 8x10 piece of white cardboard in a little holder. Good diffusion, gets rid of the flash-on-camera look, excellent for fill flash.</p>