upgrading from 20D to Rebel T1i

reza motaghedi

<p>I have a 20D and recently decided to upgrade to Rebel T1i mainly for two reasons. First I find 20D too heavey and too "visible". I do street photography and it draws much attention. I find it heavy as well. Second I sometimes crop my photos and 20D is only 8 mega pixel so I cannot print them largly. Otherwise I love 20D. That is why I think Rebel T1i might be a good option because it is lighter, draws less attention and has higher resolution.<br>

I only have two concerns. I use a Canon 24-105 lens. I want to know If I put camra on tripod can it bear the weight of that lens or in the long term a 24-105 may damage lens mount of Rebel.<br>

The other concern is about noise. I have heard that It has a higher noise than even a 20D in low light. I dont want to upgrade to to get a lower imgae quality with higher noise. Some people also complain that images from T1i is too soft ( softer than 20D). Is that true?<br>

Do you have experience with both of these cameras? Any advice is much appreciated</p>

<p>using the 24-105 with either the 20D or the T1i may attract attention. I think it is the large lens that gets people's attention as opposed to the camera body. If you like the ergonomics of the 20D then you may want to go to the 40D or 50D. The T1i will feel a lot smaller in your hands. I personally don't see this as an upgrade - i.e. going from a semi pro setup to a consumer setup - again if you like the ergonimics of the T1i because it is smaller and fits your hands better then that would be the way to go. The lens mount should be able to hold the 24-105 without problems, however the balance may not feel right with a light camera and a heavy lens. I suggest that you try one out before you buy. Good luck.</p>

<p>I'm not sure I'd do it. The main reason for getting a T1i would be if you're interested in shooting video. I doubt you'll see a huge difference in image quality unless you're really cropping a lot.</p>

<p>The T1i is certainly smaller and lighter than the 20D, but I find the 20D/30D/40D/50D easier to hold. If you have small hands the T1i might be better for you of course.</p>

<p>A 24-105 will be fine on the T1i, but it's not exactly a "stealth" lens. For that you might just want the 18-55 kit lens, or a small prime like a 24/2.8, 35/2 or 50/1.8. The 24-105 isn't exactly light either.</p>

<p>I doubt a T1i would be significantly less conspicupus than a 20D.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks for responses.<br>

Apart from size if camera I want higher resolution. recently somebody wanted a big print of one my photos and I couldn't do it because of lower resolution.<br>

Maybe 50D is a good option. But what about noise. Bob I read in one of ur articles that it has higher noise than 40D . One of the photogrphers here also was complaining that it had higher noise than 20D in low light. Is that correct?</p>

>>> Do you have experience with both of these cameras? Any advice is much appreciated

Yes. About a year ago I upgraded from a 20D that I had been using extensively for street photography for four years, to a rebel XSi (precursor to the T1i). I was

going to get a 40D, but after comparing the 40D and XSi over the counter it was obvious the XSi was a much better choice

for street photography based on handling ergonomics shooting one-handed, and the really nice 3" super readable LCD.

I've found the IQ better than my 20D both in normal light and shooting in dim light at ISO 1600. And the +50% more pixels

provides nice margin for cropping. Today I'd make the same choice again, but going for the T1i instead.

www.citysnaps.net

<p>I like using the kit zoom for walking around, taking pictures of street stuff. Though it's not equal to my 24-70L in terms of image quality, the gain in portability makes it perfect for certain situations. Which is why I bought a smaller XSi to go along my 5D. If I were to use a big lens I might as well carry the 5D with the grip</p>

<p>If your primary concern is to have a camera that is less conspicuous, you don't make a lot of ground to move to the current Rebel, or any other SLR. I find the Rebel series to feel like plastic toys compared to the 20D, so even if you want to stay with an SLR it wouldn't be my first choice.<br>

You might want to have a look at the Canon G10. It's a lot smaller, with manual functionality and a hotshoe to allow most of the flash features of higher level cameras (with a really high sync speed as well). It's a small P&S camera with professional level adjustability and a 14 Megapixel sensor. Rangefinder cameras like the G10 are well suited to street photography.<br>

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?ci=0&shs=G+10&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&InitialSearch=yes&O=jsp%2FRootPage.jsp&A=search&Q=*&bhs=t&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=submit</p>

<p>I have to rise to</p>

<blockquote>

<p>only 8 mega pixel so I cannot print them largly</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Even cropped images from an 8 MP file can be printed pretty darned large. Are you going above 13x19" (33x48cm)? What counts is how you handle the printing and an appreciation of proper viewing distance.</p>

<p>More pixels better? Sure, but 8 MP isn't that bad. There was a time when only Canon had cameras over 6MP and Nikon users then were saying 6MP was enough -- and they were right, for the most part!</p>

>>> I find the Rebel series to feel like plastic toys compared to the 20D,

Odd... Mine feels like a nice camera and takes decent pix.

By exchanging your 20D for a G10 you'd be taking a hit on image quality as well as forgoing many shallow depth of field

creative possibilities. The G10 is a decent point-n-shoot flexible camera (and not a rangefinder, BTW).

www.citysnaps.net

<p>I have a t1i and a 5D. As far as putting a heavy lens on the t1i is concerned, I often mount my 100-400 lens on it. A heavy lens is a heavy lens no matter what camera you mount it on. I think the t1i is a wonderful camera. I haven't experienced any level of objectionable noise. The August issue of Popular Photography has an article on the t1i and they give it high marks for low noise at higher ISO's. And I don't see anything wrong with the build quality of it either. <br>

I don't mean any disrespect to anyone, but I believe that most ppl who talk down the Rebel series are ppl who don't actually own one.</p>

<p>Thank you for comments. You are right Rebel is not inconspicuous. But it is ligher than 20D. I was thinking about a 4 third system like panasonic lumix G1 but again image quality is not comparable with SLRs. I have to choose between T1i and 50D I guess. My only concern about these two camera is their noise. I may also wait for 60D which will be released this fall.<br>

Regards<br>

Reza</p>

I think the noise issue is overstated and that really you have nothing to fear and everything to gain by choosing either. The noise control on both the T1i and the 50D blow the 20D away IMHO. And yes, I've used a 20D as well as the 50D... If weight really is that big an issue, the T1i might be better for you. But if you can handle the extra grams, the 50D is quite a camera.

<p>The problems with camera tests is the tester is pixel peeking, I've seen shots from the 50D at 12800 ISO printed on postcard prints which is absolutely great.<br>

If you pixel peek you probably see slightly more noise on the 50D than 40D on higher ISO, however if you downsize the picture (resize) to same as the 40D it apparently show less not noise and more sharpness in same ISO. 15 megapixel is a lot, and you need a huge print to be able to pixel peek on that image, and if you see slight noise, use noise ninja or something similar to get rid of it, softens the image but removes the noise nicely. Or as I read on one test just resize the image after, or shoot in reduced size which they claim reduces the noise immensely.</p>

<p>I just decided to sell my 450D and buy the 50D due to the ergonomics on it is very bad in my hands, it's to cramped for me. I tried the 50D and the 5D MK II and they are way way way better to hold, so it was easy to decide. If your rig is drawing to much attention get a smaller lens, say 35, 28, 24, 20 or 10-22 maybe for the streets... If you need longer reach get 18-55 or 17-85 or if you budget allows it the 17-55...</p>

I'm still not getting this notion that camera and lens size is what drives (presumably unwanted) attention. It's about your

attitude and how you carry yourself, not about the gear your using...

www.citysnaps.net

<p>I wouldn't "talk down" the xxxD/Rebel series. I own an XTi and find it a very good camera for the money. But, like some of the others, I find its "operating system" less convenient than the two-wheel+top display of the xxD and xD models. I also find that the camera is not very comfortable for my hands without its battery pack.</p>

<p>Of course, I started on the 20D, and that may have shaped (imprinted) my expectations, but I find it and my "new" (to me) 5D to be very comfortable and sensible in control.</p>

<p>The 24-105mm lens? no problem in mounting it on any of the bodies. It's not like you're putting on the 100-400mm lens --with that one, the camera is just tagging along for the ride anyway....</p>

<p>[[if your primary concern is to have a camera that is less conspicuous, you don't make a lot of ground to move to the current Rebel, or any other SLR. I find the Rebel series to feel like plastic toys compared to the 20D, so even if you want to stay with an SLR it wouldn't be my first choice.]]</p>

<p>The logical acrobatics of this statement make my head spin.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Hi Reza<br>

I also have the 24-105 lens. I have used the Digital Rebel XT for 4 years and recently upgraded to the T1i. I was amazed at the poor quality of the T1i. I've just done some shot comparisons and it is quite evident that the T1i is not capable of handling the 15.1 mp. I have been selling stock photos for 2 years and just returned from a trip to Boston with the new T1i. All of the shots I submitted to my stock agencies were rejected. Upon reviewing the shots at 100% I see why. I will be returning the T1i as it does not allow me to work. XT blows it away. No joke!</p>