Extended warranty not valid in Florida?!

johnw436

<p>Just bought the K20d and looking forward to that free 3 year warranty. Got the camera registered then went looking on the Pentax site for the extended warranty information. Boy was I shocked!</p>

<p><strong>For Factory Service, please send to:<br /></strong>PENTAX SERVICE DEPARTMENT:<br />12061 Tejon Street, Suite 600,<br />Westminster, CO 80234<br /><br /><strong>In your package, please include the following:</strong><br />A. A copy of the Extended Warranty Card.<br />B. A note describing the problem with a complete return address.<br />C. All necessary items, such as batteries or other items related to the problem.<br />D. Any sample pictures. Please include your memory card with images that show the problem.<br />E. A check or money order in the amount of $19.95 to cover shipping and handling.<br /><strong>NOT VALID IN FLORIDA, THE COMMONWEALTH OF VIRGINIA OR WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW</strong><br>

<strong></strong><br>

It's Saturday, so I'll call them when they open on Monday. I can't believe this. Am I missing something here?</p>

<p>It probably has more to do with the state laws in those areas; less likely to be an arbitrary assertion by Pentax. When you're buying a warranty, you are usually purchasing a promise for future services. Since the structure of the item is the same, with or without warranty (the camera is the camera), I would imagine that it would be the laws that regulate consumer protections, more than the item itself, that would be the more active influence. </p>

<p>If Pentax can't tell you why not, then someone with knowledge of consumer protection laws in Florida probably could. I don't know the answer myself.</p>

<p>Yeah. It's nothing to do with Pentax. Florida instituted this legislation a while back to protect consumers. I think the rationale was that it'd help prevent vulnerable retirees from being scammed and being sold useless extended warranties and the like. The legislation ended up being so broad and kind of punitive that a lot of companies have to make sure that they don't sell their warranty extensions or coverage plans to Florida residents, because of the onerous requirements there. That's what I recall, anyway. I'm not a lawyer and have never even been to Florida - it's just that this came up with my previous employer at one point.</p>

<p>I'm not a lawyer, and I don't live in Florida, but is it possible that was is not valid is the requirement to send $19.95 for return shipping? That would make more sense as a consumer protection law. It *does* seem to me to be adding insult to injury to require me to PAY them to return my camera to me.</p>

<p>Paul Noble</p>

<p>It's a good thing Walter saw through my post. ;) Now if I can only explain that my credit card is registered to my 'work' address...</p>

<p>I'm sure it's not Pentax. I was simply caught unaware until I had already purchased the camera. It's not like I wouldn't have bought it anyway it's just that the 3 year warranty was a real sweetener when I talked myself into the purchase.</p>

<p>Good thing I live in Georgia. Phew!</p>

<p>It's Florida. We have very, very demanding terms on extended warranties, contests, etc... Florida's consumer laws have bankrupted a number of notable companies. Hence why several companies just void their entire set of terms for Florida.<br>

I always got tired of looking at the Dell home consumer accidental damange warranty plan and seeing it a non-option for Florida residents only. The small business version didn't have any such term, although it was a crapload more expensive (like 3x)! It's typical.</p>