Insurance for my Camera Equipment

robert_dare

<p>Your homeowners or other insurance companies offer what is called an "Inland Marine" policy specifically for<br>

such things. It usually runs around ten dollars per thousand of coverage. Be sure and get replacement coverage with no deductable.<br>

Do a search on replacement costs of each individual item and where you got the prices and take that to your insurance company.<br>

They can write it the same day. Be sure and pay the whole annual premium up front, otherwise they charge you a fee for quarterly payments.<br>

Nationwide is who I have mine with.<br>

Best wished,<br>

Harold</p>

<p>Make sure you read the fine print on any photo equipment insurance policy. </p>

<p>I had a friend who got burned. His was staying at a large hotel in Brazil, and his equipment was taken from his hotel room. There were no signs of forced entry, and the police concluded that likely a hotel staff member used a key to get in.</p>

<p>However, his policy stated that there must be signs of a forced entry and the company wouldn't pay him, even though he had a copy of the police report.</p>

<p>Our homeonwer's insurance policy allows us to add on a "rider" that covers our photographic equipment. It costs just 1% of the total value of each piece insured (for 1 year of coverage). It covers accidental damagae and theft. There is no deductible. It offers complete replacement value. Quite a deal!<br>

Julie Roggow</p>

<p>I can highly recommend State Farm insurance, specifically I have the personal articles policy. I took the insurance out for my camera equipment about 3 years ago.<br /> <br /> Last month I had my camera and lenses stolen in Ecuador (first time I had my camera stolen, and I travel a lot), after I came back from the trip I made a claim with my State Farm agent. A person from their claims department called me back the next day, asked about what was stolen, asked about the police report (I did obtain one, but she did not ask for a copy of it, just that I had it). She then told me she would go to the B&H website to verify my claimed values were reasonable, called me back 15 minutes later and said that my check would be mailed within 2 days. 4 days later I received the settlement check (this was for a few thousand $ btw, definitely not a small amount) <br /> <br /> The check was for the values of equipment that I paid. So for example if you buy a Nikon D300 for $1800, and next year it gets stolen the amount you get back would be $1800. Some insurance companies will deduct depreciation from the amount insured, so make sure you know exactly how your insurance works.<br /> <br /> All insurance companies are nice, until you have to make a claim.....</p>

<p>I highly recommend that you do <strong>not</strong> insure your gear through your home-owners or tenants insurance. One claim might be all it takes for your insurance company to dump you and if you get dumped you'll have a very hard time to find new home-owners or tenants insurance and if you find any, the pricing will be double or triple of what you're paying now. At least!<br /><br />Go with Hill & Usher, the insurance offered through Photo.Net or join a professional organization such as PPA, ASMP or similar and get your camera insurance through whatever program they offer at group rates. </p>

• 1 month later...