Canon G3 gross overexposure

<p>My brother gave me a box of old cameras. Included was a Canon G3 which at first glance appeared to function. It powers up and I was able to take some shots with it. The problem is that the photos are way overexposed. Has anyone had this experience with the G3 and if so was it a fixable problem?<br>

thanks</p>

<p>If the camera has an adjustable EV, many cameras permit you to adjust with a two stops under and two stops over exposure range, I would adjust that to under-expose. Alternatively I would tend to include more sky'highlight area in the shot when taking 'half-trigger' before re-framing for the shot required. Half trigger permits the camera to set itself up and then still holding HT you re-frame for the shot you want to take. The camera will close down for the sky exposure and give you a better result for the sans sky picture you want to take. A useful technique even when a camera is working properly when you want to over-ride the automatics to get the result you want ... quicker usually and just as good as than changing into manual mode. </p>

<p>I wonder if it might me a problem with the neutral density setting. Perhaps the meter thinks the neutral density filter is on, and metering accordingly. That could only be the case if the meter doesn't actually meter through the ND filter, but instead makes and electronic assumption and correction.<br>

Go to the menu when the camera is turned on and in shooting mode (as opposed to viewing the contents of the cf card mode) and scroll down until you see the "ND Filter". Make sure it's off, and see if that affects the metering.</p>

<p>Peter</p>