Olympus PEN E-P1 - will you buy it or not?

john_graham5

<p>No.<br>

According to dof master:<br>

4/3: 17/2.8 @ 2m = 1.27m dof (!!!!!)<br>

35mm QL17: 40mm/1.7 @ 2m = 0.25m dof<br>

Apples to oranges but its kinda like a digital rf replacement for me, and the lack of dof control doesn't cut it for me. Pity though, the concept is brilliant!</p>

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<blockquote>

<p>John Kelly wrote: EP-1 isn't designed for bug/flower photos, it's obviously designed substantially for people-pics.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You really think so? I thought cameras were designed for "the average user", which as we all know, doesn't exist. It's why there are so many qualified responses in this thread. I wish Olympus had had the balls, excuse me, the <em>audacity</em> to design a camera for the street shooter. That way all we would see in this thread would be "YES" or "NO".</p>

<p>As for my own reply: I think the E-P2 is more likely to be what I would want this type of camera to be, but if I had the spare cash right now I would buy an E-P1. Clearly, it's not enticing enough to make me want to sell some gear to produce the needed funds :-)</p>

<p>Akira's comments have got me having second thoughts too. It is only the second (not counting the pricey GH-1) edition of micro four thirds. Maybe it is a good idea to wait for the next offering if I am not seduced by the Dark Side of the Force.. Elegance in design and layout are of interest but not compelling...I am also anxious to see what Olympus's next <strong>flagship model of 4/3</strong> is going to be. Meaning this-I could use the money for EP-1 plus some add ons commands which is not insignificant to help finance an upgrade to my well liked E-1. I may back off and think with caution- bumps ahead.</p>

<p>I bet Ritz in Ala Moana will have a sample to look at. It will attract fashionistas who still have pocket change to travel. It is nevertheless an exciting thing to get the juices flowing. If a one lens deal, as with the 17mm and OVF, that is not a sales closer. Has to have a wider appeal.</p>

<p>Akira, as you see I welcome even more of your thoughts if you want to flesh out your evaluation. What do other Olympians in Japan ( a market for small and elegant)think of the EP-1 versus say the Panasonic G-1 approach. And especially the MSRP price of the kit and the quality of first lenses to 'come to the party' in this format? I happen to think the standard 4/3 still has some redeeming qualities and am going to get max use of the nice lenses I bought for my E-1.<br>

I think the idea of my using FD Canon is still interesting but is less of an appeal now that I think of it. Wish I could have a free trial of that combo to convince myself that it would not be a day to day value. A personal take. I am mainly a people shooter. And need one travel small one (which I have more or less in the Coolpix P 5000. The best I could find at the time to fit that size under five hundred US bucks.)</p>

<p>No. No viewfinder, no sale. Especially at the rather high price point. <br>

Also, although it's hard to tell from pictures, it looks too small, and not very ergonomically shaped. I would much prefer something shaped and sized more like the E420-E620, or Panasonic G-1. </p>

<p>The EP-1 is not for me. I insist on a real viewfinder! But I am <strong>very </strong>interested in the "EP-2" as described by Zone 10--with an EVF. I seek an OM replacement for the digital age. Light weight, and a good viewfinder, are vital. The "tunnel vision" viewfinders in most DSLR's are no match for the glorious viewfinder in my OM. I am hoping that the EP-2's EVF will be at a minimum better (in effective magnification) than the E-620, my previous candidate for purchase (which I have abandoned as it's not much smaller than an OM). <br>

There is no reason why EVF's cannot be improved over time to become really good and acceptable replacements for a good-ol' glass pentaprism. Please give us good magnification and no "tunnel vision". </p>

<p>Gerry, I find that the reaction of Japanese people to E-P1 is not very different from that of people outside Japan. One thing I noticed is that a large portion of people who are interested in E-P1 seem to have been shooting with P&S cameras, which is well understandable.</p>

<p>The prices of Olympus cameras are "open", so there's no MSRP. According to the price comparison site best known in Japan (kakaku.com), today's lowest offered prices for different kits are: JPY 80,325 (body only), JPY 98,400 (body, 17/2.8 and OVF for 17/2.8) and JPY 116,770 (body, 14-42 zoom, 17/2.8 and OVF for 17/2.8).</p>

<p>No, I will not buy it. Not yet.<br>

A great new camera - but also a victory of the marketing people versus the engineers. As usual. They want to cash in on the success of the Pen and make the resemblance as close as possible<br>

Tomorrow everything is cheaper and better - that is the rule of the digital age.<br>

I will buy it, when it gets an articulated screen. Next year.<br>

A shame that it hasn’t - no concept begs more for an articulated screen than the E P-1. <br>

When it has the articulated screen, it will be my perfect street shooter - preferable to all existing alternatives. Aperfect back up for the E’s.<br>

Olympus & Panasonic created a new+ next generation of HQ cameras - in a couple of years, most of us will shoot them.<br>

You actually can't call them a DSLR any more, the inheritage from the analog age will be gone, no R (=Reflex) needed any more, and for god's sake, eventually our luggage will be smaller again, what we expected, when we sold our Nikons, Canons, Monoltas and OMs to buy a digital camera.<br>

Can you help me with the right name, as catchy as DSLR, to describe the eVf equipped DCs?</p>

<table border="1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" width="622">

<tbody>

<tr >

<td width="118" valign="top">

<p >Comparison</p>

</td>

<td width="69" valign="top">

<p >W mm</p>

</td>

<td width="60" valign="top">

<p >H mm</p>

</td>

<td width="216" valign="top">

<p >D mm</p>

</td>

<td width="156" valign="top">

<p >Weight g</p>

</td>

</tr>

<tr >

<p >Olympus E P-1</p>

</td>

<p >120.6 </p>

</td>

<p >69.9</p>

</td>

<p >36.4</p>

</td>

<p >335</p>

</td>

</tr>

<tr >

<p >Rollei 35</p>

</td>

<p >97</p>

</td>

<p >60</p>

</td>

<p >32</p>

</td>

<p >325</p>

</td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

<p > </p>

<p >See also the photos for the comparison. Both cameras have that solid “brick” feeling. I like to get my hands on a P-1 and do a real comparison.</p><div>00Ttsh-153243584.jpg.17eeb3fa9d0083bd4e83391b9e49cc9a.jpg</div>

<p>Seems like Amazon got a good deal (bulk order?) on the EP-1/+17mm+/OVF kit ( Akira, when I compare what the dollar to yen ratio this month is, very good deal on line here.) MSRP used to be a kind of polite fiction in U.S. , but now it seems the initial three month price if a camera is brand new and HOT...</p>

<p>I am guessing margins are tight enough that the big online outfits have to 'strike while the iron is hot.' and I would do the same....For an item in the $1000.00 range I wonder how much actual profit they make.Maybe not a whole lot. I think the EP-1 will sell very very well,--to the general population-the p and s upscalers- because, like the iPhone,it is small, pretty, and desirable as another slick <strong>handheld toy</strong> . Some things do not change re fashion. Optical or no optical finder.</p>

<p>As an off subject aside, there was a time when the military exchanges in Japan in Yokosoka, (known as A33 to the sailors) used to sell cameras at unbelievable good prices, way below Akihabara and Shinjuku ( if I rememberthe names)although it was fun to look at the wares in such places. I don't recall- do some of the Japanese vendors still negotiate prices. Not here. But I try to negotiate shippping and handling which sometimes succeeds. (A personal message to Patrick Dempsey, Hey, in six months check out Tijuana and Juarez for <strong>special deals just for you :-)) <br /> </strong></p>

<p>NO!</p>

<p>I have reviewed the reviews and have analyzed the marketing strategy. It seems that nostalgia is key; those who owned/used the Pen cameras of old may find this camera of interest. In terms of performance and handling, Olympus forgot one major item... an optical viewfinder, a la Leica M8. It's my understanding that one would have to purchase an add-on viewfinder.</p>

<p>From what I can gather from all of the discussions in this thread and others, inclusive of the reviews, the Olympus PEN E-P1 is a glorified point-n-shoot with the ability of interchangeable lenses. I don't think it will be a BIG seller. Consequently, the folks at Olympus will re-think their marketing strategy and offer something on the lines of a true digital rangefinder.</p>

<p>atlantaMAXphoto.com</p>

<p>Bought it yesterday! Wasn't too worried about the lack of a viewfinder, as it's replacing my LX2 (never could find the LX3 in stock, too bad for Panasonic) which doesn't have a viewfinder either. I was worried about whether the LCD would be responsive enough or have a slight lag that I've seen in lower end P&Ss. I was very glad to see that wasn't the case. </p>

<p>Also, personally, I don't see the point of an EVF since it would still have the same limitations of an LCD for me, the biggest minus being absolutely poor low light performance. </p>

<p>In any case, I am absolutely in love with the camera. Slightly disappointed with the lens, especially the electronic manual focus, but I guess this is what allowed them to make it so compactable. </p>

<p>Yes! In fact I now have the camera and both the zoom and 17mm lens. Much better image quality and color than is available on any P&S, and only slightly larger in size. I don't want or need a viewfinder, the LCD is just fine, in bright light or for critical manual focus I use a Hoodman 3" loupe. As an all around carry everywhere camera, I've found nothing better.</p><div>00TvPk-154203584.thumb.jpg.82eefb4ee50d64a17b79dc853bb4f04c.jpg</div>

<p>Bob Dickerson, fine shot of the camera and the legendary Domke bag, canvas hallmark of the serious shooter...What is that cool rectangular lens <strong>hood set screwed on</strong> in front? I was under the impression that the 14-42 front element rotates a bit (?). But it sure adds photogenic appeal..... Contrary to Ken's prediction above, once it drops about a hundred and gets a Highly Recommended (Just) review there will be a lot of sales. A new category will take about six months to land on its feet Now, what does Panasonic do next. I know,dro the price of he GH-1 and sell them to the still/video gang. The EP-1 does seem a design tour de force. And your photo does it justice, Bob D. My compliments. ( I can hear others holler out"tour de <strong>farce</strong> "what else is new:-))</p>

<p>I wasn't about to give it a second thought until I tried it. I like the controls, I like the feeling of solidity and most of all I like that it has an English menu. Panasonic has been adamant about not providing an English or other foreign language menu in Japan. I'd have to buy a G1 overseas. I want to buy my camera where I can take it back to the shop if something goes wrong. I thought the lack of a traditional viewfinder would put me off but it didn't. So when I do get this Olympus I will cease to be an old fogey who insists the only way to take photos is squinting through a viewfinder and join the tabooed and body-pierced youth in trying something that is for me totally radical.</p>

<p>Yes, I'm going to get that little devil and use Leica and Canon FD lenses on it. </p>

<p>Seriously thought about it but no view finder and no build in flash turned me off a bit. Mostly the viewfinder. Looks like a step in the right direction. I hate p/s cameras and my DSLR's are a bit to big for casual use.</p>