Filter stuck on a 17-40/4L

<p>This happened to me when I dropped the camera and the filter broke. I used a large wrench (no dissimilar to the photo Daniel shows) and making very sure that I had a firm grip of the filter end of the zoom lens I was able to release the smashed filter. The lens and thread were fine so I was lucky.</p>

<p>The important issue I am making is to make sure that having gripped the filter with a rubber band or whatever, make quite sure that you also have a firm grip of the filter end of the lens and do NOT use the camera or camera end of the lens to counter the twisting action.</p>

• 1 year later...
<p>I'll agree with the others who suggested the rubber band method. I was trying out a new 60 mm step ring for fit with a Bay 60 Hasselblad UV Sky filter and it got stuck. Using the wider rubber bands (which measured, stretched, about the width of the ring and the filter and were small enough in diameter that they fit snugly into position), I pulled one each onto both the step ring and the filter and it worked perfectly in a couple of twists; they're must haves for my bag now. Thanks for a great solution!</p>