How often do you shoot per week?

<p>I shoot, as a non-professional, 3-4 times a week. I am dedicated and addicted. When I go out to shoot, I have a plan...and a GPS and a fully stocked camera pack (see prior thread, lol) I am gone for hours and hours. Wondering what you all do.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I am a casual photographer and over the course of my life my photographic style and frequency of photo outings have changed quite a bit. In the beginning I photographed constantly, exploring many different ideas and techniques trying to improve my technical skills as well as both my ability to see and my ability to capture that vision. As time went on I began to photograph more and more selectively, and now, although I still experiment with ideas when they strike me, I would say that I tend to (%80 of the time) plan ahead and photograph a few times a month in specific locations. In a given year I may have as few as 4-5 photo outings to as many as a dozen or so.</p>

<p>When I go out I always have plenty of loaded film holders (usually 28 sheets of black and white and 12 of E-6), a stereo camera, and often take a hand-held medium format camera with built-in metering just in case I want to be more spontaneous than a 4x5 field camera allows. I tend to be out for anywhere from 2 to as many as 10 hours (with the average being about 4-5). Duration depends quite a bit on weather, terrain, subject, ect. If I am working here in Florida the tides or the heat and humidity usually dictate how long I'm out, but when I go home to the Smokies I might be there for 3-4 days straight working for 8 hours or more at a stretch...</p>

<p>- Randy</p>

<p>i seldom even get up to the bathroom without a camera in hand. i'm mostly a 35mm guy and on good weeks burn about 10 rolls tbut this is when i don't have a specific shoot going on. often my photo sessions are good for about 10 rolls within a 5 hour period.</p>

<p>i love just driving around with a backseat full of gear and plenty of tyme to explore and find things to shoot then letting my gps figure out how the hell to get me home!</p>

<p>Not counting grab shots of my granddaughter I shoot generally once a week, but I try for two. A lot depends on the weather. June was a disaster. We got some rain on 23 days, but I managed to get in three outing between the raindrops.</p>

<p>I'm shooting more now, primarily because of a beautiful summer here, with any rain mostly confined to weekdays. I take the camera almost everywhere. Oregon has long, gray rainy winters, conditions that lead to blah photographs. During that time I hibernate in front of the TV...</p>

<p>i'd like to do more shooting in inclimate weather. i shoot in light rain when it occurs while i happen to be shooting already but i'd like to do more snow, heavy fog, and storms. of course i shoot plenty of indoors stuff too. i like to document going out with my friends and i'd say this is a very large part of my photography. the paid stuff or gigs is fairly small but all my casual shooting translates into better professional shooting.</p>

<p>In the woods, 4-6 hours a day, at least, 4 days a week. Somehow, I always end up needing a weekday for something. Weekend photos in the woods are useless, because the whole place will be overrun with people. Commuting to and from locations is at least 500 miles a week. At least one full day a week will be labs; printing, mostly. Miscellaneous tasks backfill; I may photograph more, but that's about average minimum that I know I can bank on. 2,500 words a day, and gym time or runs if I do not go to the field. </p>

<p>At the end of every day, I pretty much feel like I am out of interesting ideas. When I wake up the next morning, I realize what I should have done the night before. There's always something to prepare. </p>

<p>I will carry a camera pretty much every day; but, somehow those photos usually end up being about something else. That's usually another group, or the next cycle of ideas in the beginning stages.</p>

<p>I photograph professionally. Most weeks I shoot nothing. Indeed I sometimes go for weeks without making a single photograph. I don't carry a camera with me all the time; in fact I never carry a camera unless my prime intention is to photograph. But then for between 80 and 100 days a year I will photograph intensively pretty much to the exclusion of everything else, and normally I'm away from home. Its rare for me to photograph near where I live unless weather or light is very unusual. </p>

<p>I shoot an average of three or four projects a week for my day job. I always take a camera with me outside of work, but only shoot when I see something of interest. Usually the good lighting is wake up call. If I see good lighting and I know I'm close to having something interesting in the foreground, I'll go for it and take a detour. That happens about once or twice a week on average.</p>

<p>I always shoot when traveling, even if I can only manage a few hours of a day, and during good lighting.</p>

<p>I tend to shoot more often during changes of season, with my most prolific of shooting for fall colors, the start of spring, and dead of winter during the first of ice storms. During those times I will shoot most every day for one to two weeks straight until I'm satisfied.</p>

<p> </p>