Preventing Stolen Gear

<p>Howdy!</p>

<p>The only time I ever had any equipment stolen from my car was when I was taking a dip in one of Idaho's many primitive hot springs (attired as nature intended) and I neglected to lock my vehicle. Somebody liberated a Rebel XT and a 70-200mm f2.8 (non-IS) lens.</p>

<p>Fortunately, I had equipment insurance, and I also had written down all the serial numbers. I reported the theft, collected the insurance, and upgraded to the IS version of the lens and a 40D. The missing equipment showed up in a Montana pawnshop about a month later. The thieves were duly prosecuted and given a just punishment.</p>

<p>Therefore, although not packing your car the night before is a good idea, I think that it is even more important to inventory all your gear, keep the serial numbers in a safe place, and carry insurance on it. You cannot stick with your gear at all times, no matter how much you may try.</p>

<p>Later,</p>

<p>Paulsky</p>

<p>I'd think that unattended gear stolen from the venue is more of a risk than secure gear stolen from a locked car.</p>

<p>Best solution: Never leave your gear unattended! This should be part of your assistant's role. If you don't have an assistant, you should hire one. There are plenty of amaeteur photographers and students willing to work as your pack mule for as little as $8-$10/hour as long as they can follow you around to learn the craft. When I assist as second shooter (or third shooter if we have another lead with us) for my fiance (he's lead shooter), that's part of my job, to keep an account of all our gear. He carries two cameras and a "shootsac" during the ceremony and reception and leaves the rest of the equipment in a big bag, which is never more than 10 feet from me and always within my field of vision. When we hit the reception and don't need all the equipment from the big bag, I lock it up in the car. Additionally, when we're done with equipment, I run it back to the car so I don't have to worry about it. Used CF cards are always on my person, of course.</p>

<p>The only equipment we don't constantly keep an eye on are our studio lights with attached pocket wizards, which are set up in corners and firing during the reception. We don't worry about those too much because I doubt anyone is going to have the nerve to take them down and try to carry them out of the venue without being noticed. And if a light stopped flashing, we'd notice it instantly. So they're pretty safe. If they do get taken, we're insured, so it's not a stressful thing to worry about. (Biggest concern with the studio lights is making sure they don't get tripped on or fall over. If they're can't be put in a safe location, we don't use them.)</p>

<p>BTW, the shootsac is AMAZING! If you've never heard of them, go to <a href="http://www.shootsac.com">www.shootsac.com</a>. A little pricey, but worth it because it's a great product. So handy!</p>

<p>A semi related idea is do not identify yourself as a photographer with stickers or decals on your vehicle from photo associations and such. A friend who used to do part time weddings and video shoots has had a personalised license plate for years that says "PHOTO". Nothing subtle about that, and I cringe whenever I see it. Sort of an invitation to thieves - hey the owner of this car is a photographer!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I would rather get up 10-15 minutes earlier than pack the car the night before. It takes the same 10-15 minutes before or after bed except you will be able to sleep worry free. Insurance helps with peace of mind, but wont provent you from being without your gear for that shoot. I wouldnt want to be in your shoes explaining to the bride she wasnt going to have her wedding photos because you wanted a few minutes more sleep! </p>