are you ready for fireworks? Oooo... Aaaa

<p>Our Independence Day is a time to celebrate by lighting fireworks. Here is what you need to capute that perfect shot:<br>

A camera capable of timed long shutter speeds(something longer than 1 sec.,) or something with a "B" or "T" setting. With B and T, you'll also probably want a cable release so you can control the timing without touching the camera.<br>

A tripod, sandbag, or friend who will keep the camera steady while you shoot.<br>

Patience, or lots of film or memory.<br>

Last, but not least, I like a nice background... something that shows where you are.<br>

If you get something good... let's see it! <del>Post result here</del>.</p>

<hr>

<i><b>Moderator's note:</b> There will be plenty of fireworks threads on photo.net's No Words Forum and elsewhere. Those will be the best places to post photos of your weekend photos. On the Beginner Forum, let's stick to only photos that illustrate and explain techniques beginners can put to use this weekend, not just show and tell pix. -- Thx.</i>

<p>Actually, <em>B & T settings</em> ? ? ?</p>

<p>Seriously, look at Bob Atkins' site for hints on shooting fireworks in a digital, or not, age (<a href="http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/tutorials/fireworks.html">link</a> )</p>

<p>When you've got your shots, then post them in your portfolio, if you have a bunch, or post the best one on the <strong>No Words</strong> forum.</p>

<p>I think both 'B' (bulb) and 'T' (time) are both relevant to photographing fireworks (I wish my DSLRs had a 'T' setting). Another useful technique is using a camera's multiple exposure feature, often using 'B'. Using known slow shutter speeds is valid as well. Luck, clear weather, and being on the good side of a slight breeze and the moon (87% today, full on the 7th) will also help.</p>

<p>There are so many different kinds of aerial shells, ground displays, and backgrounds that no single technique can be said to cover it all. I think it's good if it works for you...photographing fireworks is a very inexact science. I hope we all get good fireworks images.</p>

<p>Todd, it is likely that I knew what "bulb" and "time" settings were before you were a gleam in your parent's eyes. My amazement was that it just seems a little more than strange, to say the least, to present those up front in the <strong>BEGINNER</strong> 's forum with no explanation whatsoever.</p>

<p>And the funny thing is, that I control my cameras (no P&S among them, unless you count things like my old DDR Taxona) fairly well with no use of B and T at all. Of course, I suppose the B setting would be the one to use on my Kodak Jiffy 620, if I were to try to do fireworks shots with it. Most modern cameras use remote switches, if you were to use a technique holding the shutter open.</p>

<p>You might also do well to take a look, as the moderator suggests, at what the different forums are, and what is appropriate on them.</p>

<p>wow, cheer up JDM.<br>

If anyone wants an explanation of T, time, and B, bulb, (or anything from a post of mine for that matter) just ask. This is a forum, not a one-way opinion rant.<br>

Don't berate an attempt to teach the noobs, especially in the proper forum.</p>

<p>Unfortunately an opportunity was missed to actually provide specific information that might have helped new photographers to understand how to get good fireworks photos, <em>before</em> the event. Ideally, that's what the first post should have contained. With this year's Independence Day behind us, let's move on.</p>

<p>For beginners researching these threads, a good starting point at around ISO 100-200 (typical for many digital cameras) is f/8-f/16. Use a shutter speed set to anywhere from 2 to 10 seconds timed, or you can use the "bulb" setting to lock the shutter open when you see the fireworks launch, and release the shutter after the bloom reaches maximum. Sometimes holding the shutter open after the bloom dissipates can soften the effects so timing of the peak bloom may work best. Depending on your camera design you may be able to capture or overlay more than one fireworks display per frame.</p>

<p>My personal favorite trick, which is very unconventional and won't appeal to everyone, is to handhold the camera, lock the shutter open and pan with the launch. During the bursts I'll wiggle or even rotate the camera (like twisting a steering wheel). This creates unique patterns and occasionally some interesting results. Not to everyone's taste, but I became bored with my own conventional fireworks photos years ago. My "<a href="../photodb/folder?folder_id=833771">Painting With Fire</a> " folder has <a href="../photo/7269547">one I really like</a> , <a href="../photo/7269546">one that's just okay</a> and <a href="../photo/7269538">one that missed the mark</a> . Those were all done several years ago with 35mm compact rangefinder cameras, but any camera with an optical viewfinder, other than an SLR, can be used since the view is not blacked out by the mirror locking up. There are many digital cameras that can be used as well.</p>

<p>Unfortunately conditions this year were miserable here in my hometown, overcast and hazy, so none of my fireworks photos are worth showing off. However, there are two good threads in the <a href="../no-words-forum/"><strong>No Words Forum</strong> </a> with many examples of fireworks photos. The EXIF data may be attached to some of those photos. If not, beginners may e-mail the photo.net members whose photos interest them and ask for suggestions. Most photo.netters are happy to share such information.</p>

<p>If you study the EXIF data in these threads you'll see that the classic sharply defined blooms follow the above exposure parameters: approx. ISO 100-200, f/8-f/16, shutter speeds of 1 to 10 seconds. A few photos in these threads were taken at higher ISOs, up to 3200, which may have been a choice or may have been an indication of a common misunderstanding, that nighttime photos must be taken at higher ISOs. But there are many ways to approach this favorite subject for photographers.<br>

<a href="../no-words-forum/00Tqg1"><strong>Fireworks photo thread #1</strong> </a><br>

<a href="../no-words-forum/00TphZ"><strong>Fireworks photo thread #2</strong> </a></p>

• 2 weeks later...