Tips for photographing fireworks this weekend?

<p>For portraiture with Fireworks as a backdrop, I think you should consider the following:</p>

<p>> Set outside (not being silly you can shoot inside, in a large room with large windows I have seen it done, it is very difficult)</p>

<p>> Think an adequate distance inside the scene for the group of people – i.e. full length portraiture is often better (easier) than managing tighter shots.</p>

<p>> Tripod & Cable / remote release / mirror up</p>

<p>> encouraging the people to be STILL</p>

<p>> Flash Fill and drag low ISO (about 400) OR Good ambient and High ISO (about1600).</p>

<p>> Widish lens</p>

<p>The main challenge is putting the people in the mix: conventional capture instructs to use a very low ISO and a Tv of ¼s to 2s for fire works. that’s great to a capture the fireworks against a black night's sky.</p>

<p>But with people in the foreground, there becomes the necessity to expose them correctly too – so that means compromise.</p>

<p>IMO the best compromise is to bump the ISO and pull a slightly faster shutter and use local available light to illuminate the people: so that means planning the Camera Viewpoint such that there is enough available light at the scene to illuminate the subjects, yet the background is dark. A water view is great for that.</p>

<p>But if that is impossible: then, so long as the local area is <strong><em>dark</em></strong> you can arrange the people and illuminate them with Flash, OR street lights, and drag the shutter to allow capture the Fireworks too.</p>

<p>The key is never having the light illuminating the people brighter than what is required for a correct exposure of the fireworks.</p>

<p>A wide lens and a wide scene with a definite foreground / middle-ground / background, with the people in the middle-ground is the easiest to accomplish first up: and IMO will give better results with the least amount of stress – as the people are “in the scene” which looks nice.</p>

<p>The examples are two test shots (shoots with the People are not posted for legal reasons), which I pulled for a Fundraiser I covered on New Years Eve. I arranged the Celebrities along the Pontoon, and the Ambient Light from the Wharf, was the only illumination on them – the same could be done with Lights in a large Public Park for example.</p>

<p>I used a 5D + 24L and was around F2.8 @ 1/8s @ ISO1600. The F2.8 gave me the DoF required – which is another reason to go wide.</p>

<p>1/8s gave OK shutter for the fireworks and most people can sustain that and remain still if they breathe correctly and in time with instruction: “In / ½ out / Hold - shoot”.</p>

<p>The point is even if one chooses to Drag the Shutter – the people are still required to remain still – lest there be a slight ambient capture of their movement – so IMO the ambient light capture more feeling and adds a natural depth to the capture – though if necessary, I would pull out the Flash.</p>

<p>If required, as soft a Flash as possible is good – a portable a card bounce or brolly – BUT the difficulty is distance and Flash Light fall off – especially if you are going with a wide lens – you might be 26ft SD – so an assistant or remote Flash might be good.</p>

<p>If a brolly is not possible then bang in direct flash, but cut it back a little and attempt to get some ambient exposure on the people - and as mentioned they will be required to stay still whilst the shutter is open to grab the Fireworks, anyway.</p>

<p>For “Just Fireworks” I grabbed these on the same night:</p>

<p><a href="../photodb/folder?folder_id=911909">http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=911909</a></p>

<p>WW<br />Footnote: the area was security controlled and a Public Space, and although we had the OK to shoot Publicity shots, I was NOT allowed to use a tripod – all those are HH but braced – it is very important to choose an area where you can use a tripod, Hand Holding at 1/8s is hard work – not fun which you should be having on your 4th July Celebrations.</p>

<p>WW</p><div>00TpW2-150597784.thumb.jpg.3d51b91fa88cf57e2e553ac2d8897417.jpg</div>

<p>Thank you for your insight. I opted not to photograph people this time, and focus on the fireworks and boardwalk. I had trouble because I wasnt close enough. I didnt want to be too close, but I setup a bit further than I wouldve liked. Next time I will try to add in a few subjects, although it does seem a bit challenging. I was at f/2.8 (as low a 1.4 on my 50mm) and my sudder was between 2s-8s. I did raise the ISO up to 4000 on my 5dm2. </p>