What good is the 70-200?

travismcgee

<blockquote>

<p>size and weight are an issue [...] I’m attracted to the quality and sterling reputation of the 70-200 series, but wondering if the 70-300 would be a better choice.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>70-200/4 IS is your best bet but as far as value for money goes, the crown goes (IMHO of course) to the 70-300 IS. Personally, I recently swayed away from zooms in favor of primes.

<p>Happy shooting,<br>

Yakim.</p>

</p>

<p dir="ltr"> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>"I travel for a living, so size and weight are an issue."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I have three versions of the 70-200 (both IS's and f4 non-IS) -- yeah, I've been meaning to sell something any day now -- and I have the 70-300 also. If I traveled for a living, the 70-300 is the one I'd always have with me: light, black, sharp, and 50% more reach. Not as big a maximum aperture as any of the 70-200's, but not much slower than the 70-200/4's (and if I traveled for a living carrying a 70-200/2.8 everywhere would be out of the question).</p>

<p>My 70-200 f/2.8L IS on my 1DM3 is heaven for indoor sports. I shoot lots of swimming at all levels, from youth to senior swimmers and I am often amazed at the quality of the images I get with this lens. Also great for portraits, flowers, landscapes, you name it - my favorite lens by far. Get any of the four versions of the 70-200 depending on your needs - I believe that they are all fantastic. You will not be disappointed.</p>

<p>My 70-200 f/2.8L IS on my 1DM3 is heaven for indoor sports. I shoot lots of swimming at all levels, from youth to senior swimmers and I am often amazed at the quality of the images I get with this lens. Also great for portraits, flowers, landscapes, you name it - my favorite lens by far. Get any of the four versions of the 70-200 depending on your needs - I believe that they are all fantastic. You will not be disappointed.</p>