Customers demanding to chimp

<p>How do handle or what do you say to customers who insist on viewing the camera screen images during and on the laptop after the portrait session? It's annoying and time consuming.</p>

<p>I'd rather rather they didn't see anything but the re-touched CD files or prints.</p>

<p>I tell them I'm just checking exposures when I chimp, and they can't see them until I have edited out what I won't show them because of bad expressions, blinking, goobers in their noses etc. I have never had one insist after that.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Go with whatever suits your working style and temperament. When I got my first digital camera, an Olympus P&S in 2002, group-chimping wasn't as common. By the time I got the Nikon D2H in 2005 things had changed. I expected people would want to see the screen so I bought two batteries with the camera. Within a few months I added a third. During some sessions, especially photographing families and kids, I was group-chimping constantly and could easily run through a battery in a single session.</p>

<p>The chimping doesn't usually bother me, so I let folks peek. If I'm in a hurry I'll just smile and wave them off with one of those vague "Just a second" looks. If I have time I'll let 'em have a peek afterward. If I blow a shot, I'll just laugh and admit, yup, I blew the focus or exposure. But I'm not doing this for a living so my habits may not suit yours.</p>

<p>I can understand not wanting to show people the raw photo. It's a bit like a restaurant patron asking to taste the dish after it's cooked but before it's been plated. Straight from the pot, the food tastes the same. But a dish isn't done until it sits there in front of the customer.</p>

<p>But when I do street photos, I will often show people the picture I took. Sometimes I won't, but if I think it's a flattering image I don't hesitate to show them because it helps to make them feel more at ease with the idea that some random stranger just went up to them with a big camera and snapped a few shots. They also tend to ask to be sent the image, which I am happy to do because it's free publicity. When it's a casual event, I also let people see. There are times when I know the shot came out wrong. In such a case, I either delete it immediately, or I keep it in case it's salvageable in PP. If I keep it and the subject asks to see it, I say "too late, I deleted it." Little white lie. But it helps if they see one really horrid photo where one eye is shut, their face is contorted, or the lighting is unflattering. After that, they know better than to ask to see, unless I tell them it's good.</p>

<p>Photographing people has as much to do with social skills as it does photographic skills. You can't hide behind your camera or profess to be some kind of "pro" who just "needs to do his/her job." Every situation is different because you're dealing with different people. You have to know how to gauge their reaction, their comfort level. You do what you can to bring out a person's character and personality, what defines them. The camera is just one component of the dialogue you have with your subject. And the advent of digital photography has allowed us the possibility of using the camera to engage the subject in other ways. You don't have to use the review function. But it is there if the situation, as you judge it, is right.</p>

<p>I often shoot tethered. It's a part of the job that doesn't concern me. I get feedback to speed things along.</p>

<p>When shooting on the street I've had clowns and wise guys purposely venture into the shot for attention. I go with it, shoot, smile and move on. There are some folks whom have yet to fear flickr or youtube....</p>

<p>Last week I was on the beach in Jersey shooting a sunset, it's was 5:00 AM and an obviously drunk couple approached me and asked for a picture. She was holding an ipod, and I assumed they wanted a pose with her camera. Instead she wanted me to shoot her picture with my camera, and just her, (boy friend on the sidelines... he was as puzzled as I). I declined and moved on. Not all social interactions go well, and you have to trust your gut instinct to avoid potential problems.</p>

<p>If your clients want to chimp, let them. You have to be remembered as a fella whom is easy and a pleasure to work with.</p>

<p>A bit of a digression, but...</p>

<p>Peter, the situation you described has happened to me several times. I've discovered it isn't at all unusual for someone to ask me to photograph them, with me using my own camera, and no expectation that they will ever see the photos. </p>

<p>Whatever the reason or situation I've always been happy to oblige, whether a drunk couple smooching on a park bench, a guy telling me about his days in a Chicago gang, a group of tourists, little kids with their parents, young ladies all dressed up and wanting someone to notice. Doesn't matter to me. It's happened when I've used digital, Rollei and Yashica TLRs, an old Agfa folder... just about anything.</p>

<p>Even if I'm busy doing something else, it usually takes only a moment to oblige. Not a big distraction unless the camera is already mounted on a tripod and set, in which case I'll fetch another camera from the bag to take the candid photo.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Mark C, when being paid defines you, you're not "the photographer," you're the cashier.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Being paid defines a professional. That doesn't mean you have to do what your clients want. But professionals who don't listen to their clients wants had better make up for it in some other way (talent, pricing, etc)if they want to stay in business.</p>

<p>But if you aren't getting paid, you aren't a "professional".</p>

<p>A professional photo printing and finishing business here charges extra if the customer wants to be present when retouching or prints are made to/from a digital photo. Not a bad idea ;-)<br>

I wouldn't go with any group chimping during the shoot, it messes up the whole thing. Could show some photos after, though.</p>

<p>Josh, OK. But there's more to "professional" than "getting paid." There's the determination and ability to do something superb for the customer/client...as well.</p>

<p>Also, we're confusing "customer" and "client." How important are you and your customer/client? You are a customer at Walmart (where "cashier" is as important as most employees get...but you are a "client" to your doctor. </p>

<p>If the photographer is 100% serious, maybe he wants the client to see post-processed, even printed results.. not just a file, as from Uncle Bob's digicam. What's wrong with a little mystery?</p>

<p>My guess is that this mostly boils down to client expectations. How much does the client respect the photographer's preferences? </p>

<p>Lex, ordinarily I would have shot and been done with it, but it so happens I was set for the sunrise on a tripod and playing the waiting game. The girls male companion was clearly upset by her wanting the shot. Too weird. I declined and moved down the beach and reset.</p>

<p>I wonder how many of the people that take a tough stance in reaction to customer demands are actually successful. It seems that there is a strong-willed class of people who want to be left alone to practice their craft in a dark room. It's your demeanor when you are face-to-face with the customer that really counts, of course. What you say about your mother-in-law to your pals in private can be night and day different from anything you would ever say to her in person.</p>

<p>The person offering you money for your services gets a little power in the bargain you might not appreciate until you have been around for a while. Eventually you may realize that it makes a lot of sense to behave yourself in a way that would please them enough as possible to get them to return for more. It makes no difference what you call your customer/client/patron, as long as you pay attention to managing your relationship for the better in the present, and for the future.</p>

<p>There's certainly nothing wrong with being competent and firm about the practices and policies that require you to say "no" once in a while. I would rather read more from people demonstrating a concern that they are considerate, reasonable agents acting for the customer to make sure that (their own) services rendered live up to expectations set when a deal was first cut. Who wants a kick-ass photographer with a piss-poor attitude?</p>