Critics pls!

<p>Hi, <br>

I want to improve upon my work and there is no other place to get critics other than photo.net. I am going crazy about street photography and capturing people's expression these days.. I am in love B8W photography.<br>

As i am progressing. I wanna know what i am doing is right or not..I wanna how well i could improve upon. I am more and more kinda stuck with vertical shots than the horizontal ones..my cam just goes vertical almost all the time..I donnot how do i get rid of this.. Most of my shots are tight framed and not wide ones..that is because most of the time i am hooked on with my canon 55- 250 IS..The other factor being i dont have a quality wide lens...all that i have canon 400d kit lens..which i am not pleased with these days...<br>

Here is my link for my recent works.. the first 30 are my recent ones..pls have a look and criticise </p>

<p><a href="http://www.flickriver.com/photos/gk-photography/sets/72157619554477128/">http://www.flickriver.com/photos/gk-photography/sets/72157619554477128/</a></p>

<p>Many thanks,<br>

GK</p>

<p>I find it interesting that you are seeking help on photo.net but you are not posting any images here. Maybe that would be the first step in solving your conundrum. In my opinion you have some very good and interesting images and a lot of "throw aways". Good luck getting help here until you become an active member of PN.</p>

I think you're doing excellent... You're comfortable around people and find interesting special moments that reveal character, and going way beyond taking

the random shot of anonymous people on sidewalks that are usually so uninteresting. You're also finding nice light and using it to great advantage. And your

processing skills are really good. My only suggestion since you are interested in "street," and many in the link don't feel like "street" photography, is to find more urban environments. If you do that and apply what I've seen in your link, you'll be on your way...

Great job!

www.citysnaps.net

<p>I like a lot of what's there, and agree with Brad about what you're doing right.</p>

<p>If you want to shoot wide, I think you'll be fine with a kit lens. Let go of the idea of out of focus backgrounds. Shoot at f8, and make the background your friend. Paying attention to the background may help you get the camera horizontal, too.</p>

<p>I also agree with Brad that what you're showing doesn't look like what most people think of as street... but if it's <em>your</em> street, shoot it. Nothing wrong with that.</p>

<p>Next time there's a words/no words thread, please jump in. Everyone is welcome.</p>

<p>I agree with Brad, Damon, and Ton.....nice work as far as you've taken it. Overall, but of course not everything......Composition is good, subject matter is interesting, post production skills are good.</p>

<p>The tendancy towards the "street portrait" as I would call your tight shots with blurred background is because you favor the 55-250. And like the others said, they are good, but if you're wanting the wide angle...........or the group of people shot, you need to use your other (kit) lens. Perhaps it ain't the greatest thing on the face of the earth, but when you do a wide angle street shot, you usually use a large DOF (depth of field) anyhow. And even the most mediocre lenses are good to very good at f/8.</p>

<p>Try setting your kit lens on apprx 22mm (that will give you apprx the same thing as a 35mm on a full frame body), which is one of the most popular focal lengths for street photographers. Not saying that you cant use other focal lengths, I do all the time, but my fav is 35mm on a full frame body, or around 20mm on a Canon crop body. And get close....real close....like 7 to 12 feet away. This will give you great subject size but show the environment they are in at the same time. The f/8 will keep things clear and in focus thru out.</p>

<p>Then mix those shots with your "street portrait" stuff, and you'll have a very nice looking portfolio.</p>

<p>Keep up the good work, and yeah, join in on the w/nw threads....they are the most fun here on photo net</p>

<p>Go to the library or google and look and spend time with any or all of the following:</p>

<p>Andre Kertesz, Henri Cartier-Bresson, Walker Evans, Elliot Erwitt, Weegee, Helen Levitt, Diane Arbus, Robert Capa, Garry Winogrand, Lee Friedlander, Robert Frank, Tony Ray-Jones, William Eggleston, Alex Webb, Daido Moriyama, Josef Koudelka, etc..</p>

<p>Hi Folks,<br>

I am very sorry for the delayed response.. i was sick and hence dint get online at all.<br>

Thanks a lot for all your comments. This would definintely help me improve upon my work. I have been more a people photographer than a raw street photographer. The reason i feel being a bit nervous lto shoot close to people. How do you guys shoot just 7 - 10 feet away from people. That is one area i certainly have to improve upon.<br>

Thanks a for providing some reference those are the stuffs i am looking to get inspired and learn.</p>

<p>I generally use a wide and since you're asking about shooting at around 10ft or closer, a wide definitely helps. Prefocus/scale focus with an aperture around f5.6-8 and you're good to go... Much, much faster than waiting for a focus lock (if using AF) or manually focusing the lens.</p>