Tightening lens mount on T50 and T70?

lex_jenkins

<p>Me and my big mouth... uh, keyboard.</p>

<p>About 10 or so years ago, when I still used Canon FD gear, I wrote a post somewhere online (other than photo.net) that among the very few weaknesses in the T50 and T70 was the tendency of the metal ring around the lens mount to become loose. And I neglected to specify how to tighten them.</p>

<p>Naturally, that post has come back to haunt me. Every year or so, someone will e-mail me asking how to tighten the loose lens mount on a T50 or T70. Truth is, that was almost 10 years ago and I switched to Nikon in 2002. I don't even remember how it was done.</p>

<p>I just got another one of those e-mails today.</p>

<p>Anyone else remember the procedure for tightening those loose mounts? I know I fixed my T50 and it seemed relatively painless. Darned if I can remember anything else about it now.</p>

<p>Fortunately nobody has asked me how to repair the winders, the other weakness in the T70. If I'm recalling correctly, the appropriate fix is to convert it into a paperweight or doorstop.</p>

<p>Yea I read that one, it may be correct for a T50 but I tried it on the T70 and there doesn't appear to be any plastic trim piece. It looks like the whole front would have to come off to get at those screws which also appears to be molded in with the top cover (may be wrong). I read a thread about this a while back but, could not find it in a search. Gordon Yee would be the man to ask. </p>

<p>No pressure, eh, Tom? The T70 is one of the Canon FD bodies I don't have. Fortunately, there is a scan of the T70 service manual on Christian Rollinger's Canon FD site:</p>

<p>http://www.canonfd.com/The_Canon_FD_Documentation_Project/Brochures.html</p>

<p>The parts diagram and disassembly notes are pretty straightforward. The removal of the front cover should provide clear access to the lens mount's screws. The only time I've had to tighten a lens mount on a Canon SLR was on a Canonflex RM that I bought a few years ago.</p>

<p>T70- Four screws on the cover surrounding the lens mount, one is on the bottom, one on top front, one on left top and one on right top. Turn the button on the front cover and align the dots. I don't know what the button is for but this lines up the contacts before removing the front cover. Next, there are two tabs on the door release cover that engage with two slots on the cover surrounding the lens mount. The door release cover does not have to be totally removed. Loosen but don't remove the two screws in the film door release cover and cock it away from the front cover to release the hold of the tabs. Snug the two screws before you work on the lens mount so the latch and spring don't jump out. The front cover does not include the grip and it stops at the film door release, also it is sandwiched between the top and bottom cover. You don't have to remove or loosen the top or bottom cover. Again loosen the two screws in the door latch cover and reverse procedure to get the front cover back on. </p>

<p>My disclaimer: I disassembled a free, totally dead, damaged shutter T70 just because I wanted to. That's all, no more, no less. At least Curtis Scott used the bottom cover and battery door and I used the lens mount to make an FD to EOS macro adapter. I still have the remaining parts if anyone needs something.</p>

<p>Lex,</p>

<p>I have a T-70 and I tightened a loose lens ring about a year ago. It is a pretty easy process, as long as you take your time and don't lose any of the small screws. As I recall, it took me about 15 minutes to complete the entire process, and I've never taken a camera apart before.</p>

<p>Good Luck,</p>

<p>Jeff</p>

<p>"Fortunately nobody has asked me how to repair the winders, the other weakness in the T70. If I'm recalling correctly, the appropriate fix is to convert it into a paperweight or doorstop."<br>

Actually the preferred fix is to attach it to your boat anchor for additional holding power.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Actually the preferred fix is to attach it to your boat anchor for additional holding power."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>LOL! I'm safe there. I sold my last boat anchor, a Hammarlund receiver, several years ago. Other than a Westinghouse Cap d'Antibes transistor with analog tuner, I'm all solid-state and digital now, radio-wise.</p>