Canon BW-58 Lens hood

cadillacmike

<p>Hi all; What FD lens takes a BW-58 Lens Hood? Not BW-58B or BW58C but the "original" BW-58. I just bought one but cannot think of a lens that used it except for maybe a 1st generation FD Zoom probably 35-70mm F-whatever, (maybe), but I don't have any lens catalogs out here, and the two reference documents that i pulled off the yahoo site don't have this hood listed (and the files have errors, so i'm not going to try and 2nd guess). Maybe the 1st Gen 35mm T&S??<br>

Anyway, someone out there knows, or else i can just use it on my New FD 35-105mm F3.5-4.5 zoom. Thanks, Mike</p>

<p>Hey Mike, Good Luck to you and keep your head down. My 1981 FD Lens Pamphlet says the BW-58 goes on a TS 35mm f/2.8. But the 1982 Lens Wonderland and 1978 Lens in a Nutshell show a BW-58B as the one for that lens. My advice, put it on your 35-105mm 3.5-4.5, shoot a couple at 35mm, and if there's no vignetting color it done and still keep your head down.<br>

Don B in Hampton Roads</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The Canon publications I have specify both the BW-58 and BW-58B hoods for the TS 35mm lens. This information, which is inconsistent and confusing, is summarized as follows in chronological order based on the publication codes printed on the back covers:</p>

<p>Original TS 35mm - BW-58 (published 09/1973)</p>

<p>TS 35mm SSC - BW-58B (published 02/1979, 05/1979, 05/1980)<br>

TS 35mm SSC - BW-58 (published 02/1982)</p>

<p>TS 35mm (post-SSC) - BW-58 (published 09/1987, 12/1987)</p>

<p>The information I have specifies (a) the BW-58B hood for the New FD 35-105mm f/3.5-4.5 lens, and (b) the BW-58C hood for the New FD 28-55mm f/3.5-4.5 and New FD 35-70mm f/3.5-4.5 lenses. Under Canon's coding convention for bayonet hoods, the angle of coverage should be progressively wider as you move from the BW-58 to the BW-58B to the BW-58C. This would mean that the BW-58 may result in slightly more vignetting on these zooms at their widest focal lengths.</p>

<p>My 1990 Canon dealers price list shows the BPW-58B as being the hood for the 35mm f2.8 T&S nFD I assume the insertion of the P stands for plastic?<br>

Dealer price was $20.00 suggested retail was $33.40</p>

<p>My 35mm f2.8 T&S nFD wears a BW-58B And i have never seen and problems with it.</p>

<p>I'll bet it is 1-2mm shorter or longer than a BW-58B and when the TS 35mm changed (there were barrel changes over the years) the new lens config required a slightly longer or shorter hood. In any event I now have all three BW-58 series hoods, but no 35mm T&S, which by the way kicks nikon's shift only lens in thee A$$.!!!!<br>

I can't buy any film out here, and if my wife sends any it will likely get ruined by the dammn x-ray that they put all the mail through..... I'll just have to wait until i get home - Nov for a couple weeks. That's a LONG way off......<br>

We definately know that the BW-58C goes on the one touch 35-205/3.5-4.5 - with the molded glass aspherical element (as opposed to ground glass on the "real" Aspherical - AKA L lenses).<br>

That's why Canon never gave that lens an L designation - new cheaper mfg technique, which compared to todays PLASTIC lens elements michgt actually be considered good - but i digress...</p>