Help- has my camera died?

steven_mills1

<p>I have a Canon EOS 400D which has developed a fault and I can't take photos.<br /> Just tried using it and when the shutter opens as I take the shot, the image I see in the viewfinder shifts slightly downwards for a brief moment. Normally when I release the shutter, the view through the viewfinder remains the same, but it's now definitely being altered when I click the shutter.<br /> This I could live with, but more significantly I don't see a photo there. When I switch to playback mode the frames I took are all blank. It does look like it's taking pictures as the number of shots remaining total does go down after each click of the shutter, but there's nothing to view.<br /> I've tried using different settings, different lenses etc. but it's always the same.<br /> Any ideas? Or has my camera died and gone to EOS heaven?</p>

<p>Well, you are aware, that the mirror of the camera is being moved while the image is taken, so the viewfinder MUST be blank for a little moment. How long this moment lasts, is depending on the exposure time your camera uses. If it uses 1 second, the viewfinder will be dark for one second.</p>

<p>-- "When I switch to playback mode the frames I took are all blank."</p>

<p>Are they all black or all white? I guess, they are all white ... means the image is absolutely overexposed ... this could come from a wrong camera setting (eventually manual mode and a long exposure time?).</p>

<p>-- "but there's nothing to view."</p>

<p>Doe the camera say "no images" when you press the review/playback button? or does it show an image (black or white)?</p>

<p>Start with "green square" (all auto) mode. See if this helps ... I think it is not absolutely unlikely, that you simply screwed up your camera settings. But of course, it is also not unlikely your camera shows a malfunction.</p>

<p>Are there any files on memory card or all pictures are just 100% black? I think that your mirror may be broken. Take the lens off and take few pictures looking at the mirror. If it doesn't go all the way to the top it needs repairing.</p>

<p>WELL SO FAR , WHEN THIS HAPPENS THE BATTERY CAN BE DEAD EVEN THOUGH IT SHOWS CHARGE AND SECOND YOU MIGHT TRY TO FORMAT THIS MEMORY CARD AND TRY SHOOTING PHOTOS IN AUTO, I HAVE HAD BOTH OFTHESE GIVE ME THE SAME PROBLEM, </p>

<p>[[Are they all black or all white? I guess, they are all white ... means the image is absolutely overexposed ... this could come from a wrong camera setting (eventually manual mode and a long exposure time?).]]</p>

<p>This was my first thought as well. It sounds more like you've set the camera to a very long exposure.</p>

<p>-- "Any other suggestions?!"</p>

<p>- Take the lens off.<br>

- inspect the mirror (dont touch it).<br>

- Set the camera to manual mode (M) and set exposure time to 2 or 3 seconds. (without lens mounted)<br>

- Take an image. While you press the button, watch the mirror chamber. The mirror should flip up. The shutter should open, you should be able to see the sensor (don't worry about dirt for this moment ... clearing is not hard to do, and if you don't do this in a dusty room, nothing happens).<br>

The last step is important, repeat this several times until you are sure about what you see.</p>

<p>It sounds to me that the reflex mirror might possibly be stuck or jammed somehow. Why?</p>

<ol>

<li>You report that the image in the viewfinder shifts down briefly. This would happen if the mirror moves partially but is unable to lift up completely.</li>

<li>A dark/black image is recorded. This means the shutter has opened and shut but no light has reached it.</li>

<li>Changing exposure settings does not alter the behavior of the camera. Therefore it cannot be over- or underexposure.</li>

</ol>

<p>All of these point to a problem with the reflex mirror. You do not specify whether the viewfinder goes completely dark during a long exposure. If it does, this means the mirror does fully lift. If it does not, that would be further proof that the mirror mechanism is broken or blocked. Another method of verification would be to set the camera on a table, set the aperture on the lens to its widest setting, set the shutter speed to a few seconds (at least 1 s), and set the auto timer. Take an exposure, and watch the camera through the front of the lens. You should be able to see the ambient light coming from the viewfinder through to the front of the lens. This light should be blocked by the mirror when the exposure is taken. As a check, repeat the same procedure except set the aperture to its smallest setting. You should see the diaphragm close, then open. If it does not, you may have other problems, either with the lens or body. <br>

The next step is to look at the body without a lens attached. See if the mirror lifts, per the instructions described previously. <strong>Do not touch the mirror assembly or otherwise poke around inside the camera. Doing so may void any warranty. </strong>Do not attempt to repair the problem yourself. If the mirror does lift without a lens attached, then check that the lens is mounted correctly and that there is no protruding objects that may block the mirror from lifting whilst the lens is attached.</p>

<p>In summary, I think you will need to have the camera serviced. It does not sound like this is something that will resolve itself, nor does it sound like user error.</p>