I need some mental help . . . .

About 15 years ago, I was a very active black and white photographer with a great and functional darkroom producing

some nice work. I had moved from 35mm to medium format and was looking at 4x5. One night when I was browsing

a magazine looking at some new gear, my wife (a very nice woman by the way) said, "If you are going to buy one

more f$&%ing camera lens, you better start making some money with it!"<p><p>She was actually right about that,

but over the next few years the business of wedding photography pushed the darkroom work off to the side. This

year, I have pretty much shuttered the wedding business (long story!) and I would like to get back in the darkroom.

The problem is that I am suffering from a lack of inspriration . . .<p><p>What do others do? What are you reading

these days that inspires you? How do I get back off of my ass and start working again?

<p>I'm now semi retired having been a working pro all my life, and I DO hear you......Thing is to have a project separate from other photography you are doing. Mine, at this moment is to prepare slide shows with all the bells and whistles of.....whatever. Currently <strong><em>"The Valley Project"</em> </strong> and the<em><strong> "Brico </strong> <strong>Requiem"</strong> </em> will keep me busy for a while to come.<br>

But........on occasion one does need to "create" a project just to keep the enthusism flowing....all the best to you, Bob</p>

<p>Ed, your subject title compelled me to read your post. Yes, mental health inspection sounds right for those of us who indulge in this money-losing compulsion. I think doing something to sell our work would be theraputic? Which is why I am currently going nuts printing, matting, framing...oh, "going nuts? - this doesn't sound good for mental health either...(LOL!)</p>

<p>On a serious note, I think networking with like-minded people works. Going out to shoot with a few buddies may work very well to keep you inspired and happy. Try going with people who share the type of photography you like and, better yet, whose skills you admire.</p>

<p>Although I've never been a working photographer, I have been taking pictures since 1973. First film, and darkroom, then digital and computer. I'm 57 and understand this "get off my ass and start working again" situation.</p>

<p>I use to shoot mostly nature. And around 2000 i saw "street photography" for the first time. And it captured my imagination. One reason, in restrospect, is because when I was younger I always enjoyed going to Farmers Markets and just watching the array of people in there. You see all types. But, that was not a doldrum, that was just a new area I had not previously explored....street photography, that is.</p>

<p>When the doldrums do occur, there is only one way to get off your ass and start working again.........and that is to force yourself out there to shoot. Even if it's just garbage (critique, not actual garbage...although, if that works....why not ;-) Sometimes you just really got to force yourself to do it. One foot in front of the other and go shoot. And then edit and print it.</p>

<p>Amazingly, it always comes back to me, and years later I wonder how I thought that there was nothing left in me to shoot.</p>

Look at your old pictures! Sometimes the best inspiration is your own past work, partly because you can't make excuses that you don't have the talent or gear to do work of that quality. For me, the knowledge (and the proof) that I can make something beautiful (or whatever quality you are seeking) is a great motivator for my future creative endeavors.

<p>I usually head out to the woods. Or, for people pictures (not many), I go to where the people are. Just pick up your stuff and start moving towards an area with the subject that you want. Make some photos, and then think about it. You will build up again. Some reading or viewing will bring inspiration, but it has its limits. </p>

<p>When I'm getting too full of myself, though, I go to galleries and see what everyone else is doing. Usually the work is so good, I feel immediately that I need to get back out there and try again. Maybe a cruise through the galleries here, too. The galleries will be more of an incentive to put out higher quality. For subject matter or compositional inspiration, more of that comes from within. </p>

<p>Get some film exposed. Rack up some time. Start feeling your way out from there.</p>

<p>Shoot digital, convert and develop with Lightroom, print with Epson 3800 (optimum price, maximum quality, glossy/semi-gloss fibre friendly.</p>

<p>Edward Weston and Bill Brandt are my main inspirations. They'd both be digital today, IMO.</p>

<p>Same feelings here. For different reasons I stop darkroom/shoot film altogether for while....<br>

One day I decided to go back to it again...<br>

I started from the dark room, reprint some negs that I like... I use 35mm/MF/LF/digital... After a couple weekend in the darkroom, I choose the MF and start to shoot again (B&W) and later move to LF...</p>

<p>I hope this help....</p>

<p>Enthusiasm is infectious, and any time you can be around enthused people you're going to catch their vibes.<br>

I was in the same boat, and luckily found a way to begin to teach photography as part of a local Community College continuing education program (for adults at night). I've always enjoyed teaching because of the enthusiasm of those wanting to learn. And anyone who has ever taught anything will tell you that's the best way to learn what you're teaching...because you have to know it!<br>

Since I started teaching I've found myself interested in a lot of new things (even video now with my 5D MKii). You're not the same person you were 'back then' and your interests may be different. Only way to find out is to explore.<br>

I would highly recommend putting your talent to work teaching...my gosh it's needed based on the advent of digital and explosion of 'experts' in the field...your business experience alone would be a boon to newbies...</p>

<p>Ed,<br>

You just got 13 very good answers....some of them even inspired me. I'm 61 now and have been in/out of love with photography a number of times....but I always come back because it gives me a creative outlet....do something out of character....for me it was going digital.</p>

<p>All journeys begin with a first step. When I have moved to a new area and don't know just what is out there to photograph, I used to just start driving around exploring. Worked pretty well. Then once I thought I had seen about all there was and felt familiar with the area, I would just frequent what I knew about.</p>

<p>After living in Seattle for several years, I had found many places I loved to go to. Then once while waiting for my wife to join me for lunch at a nice cafe near downtown, I spotted a rack of info brochures with maps about the touristy things to see. Then and there I knew I had been driving within very short distances of some great places to see. That added maybe 1/2 dozen new spots for enjoying, and I never had heard of them.</p>

<p>We had added a gorgeous conservatory, a few small, scenic parks, a historic homes section, miles of hiking/biking trails, etc. The brochures really opened up several additions to our regular outings. You might check with local tourism sources, to see what info they have on hand.</p>

<p>Then get out there and just start exploring for anything worthy of photographing. Good luck with your getting motivated, and rekindling the interest in something you clearly enjoy. Best regards.</p>

<p>Patrick</p>