FM2n light meter not working

david_waugh3

<p>I have recently acquired a 'new' FM2n but cannot get any LED's to light up. I am not a Nikon newbie (having owned an F3, FA and some FE2's) but quite possibly am doing something completely stupid :-)  Have tried three sets of batteries, have cleaned the contacts, shutter speed isn't on bulb, shutter cocked etc. I have also searched the net to no avail, so sorry if this has been addressed before.  Does anyone have any ideas?  Many thanks in advance.<br>

</p>

<p>Pulling the wind lever out turns the meter on with an FM, but not an FM2n. For the FM2n, you've got to pull the wind lever out and depress the shutter button slightly. Of course, making sure you've got good batteries, and making sure they're inserted the correct way is a good idea. The "battery check" for an FM/FM2n is to turn on the meter and see that the LEDs light up.</p>

<p>Does the FM2n's meter stay off until the frame counter reaches 1, like the FE2? I tried to search for that info but didn't come up with anything.</p>

<p>Even if that's the case, I suppose you've been firing & winding the camera enough to be in the regular frame count range while trying to figure this out.</p>

I have the FM2n and I never had any problem with the meter. When it arrived I put the bateries and never had to change them in more than 10 years (I am a casual photographer).

<p>

The only thing I can think of is that, sometimes, bateries or bateries cavity have a protective plastic to avoid contact meanwhile the camera is storage.

<p>

You can look throught this very informative web page, there are several pages devoted to the FM2n and, may be, there is a reference to your problem. http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonfmseries/fm2n/fm2manual/index.htm

<p>David,<br>

I had the same problem with a late model FM2N, purchased in what could be described as reasonably "used" condition. <br>

After many new batteries, which all worked perfectly in other FM's and FM2N's, I found that the battery compartment screw-in lid had a tendency to short circuit the connection if it were screwed in tight by using a coin in the slot to tighten it.<br>

Leaving it just finger tight maintained the electrical contact. A MD-12, now attached to the camera, stopped the possibility of the battery lid from becoming undone and thus, the consequence of losing it.</p>

<p>David, I have repaired hundreds of Nikon FM2n bodies for event companies during the pre-digital age. You should remove the three bottom cover screws, lift off the bottom cover and examine the battery compartment. Don't worry, nothing should fall out and there are no secret springs or strange connections to worry about. There is a blue and black wire that should be firmly soldered to the small tab on the battery compartment near the front of the camera. Check these wires for disconnect, poorly soldered or corrosion on or around them. These would cause your meter not to work assuming the three wires on the TC lever switch are also fine. The TC lever switch is under the top cover and takes a little more to remove for inspection , but by no means is it difficult. The FM2n is one of the best built cameras for easy repair ever made, Unlike most which are an engineer's dream, and a technician's nightmare.</p>

<p>My FM2n does have this contact problem affecting its metering. I need to turn the aperture ring of the attached lens back and forth (from smallest aperture to greatest apperture) multiple times to make it work again. I need to do thing from time to time (once every few months) or else the meter does funny things, including not lit up.<br>

HTH</p>