Carl Zeiss 135 mm f1.8 Sonnar T

BelaMolnar

<p>I try to find, or shopping for a Carl <em >Zeiss 135 mm f1.8</em> Sonnar T (for Sony )( I all ready have a Nikon 135/2 AIS) for Nikon mount or similar fast 135mm lens for Nikon or some solution to adopt this lens for Nikon mount. It is possible to get this lens for Nikon? Thank you.</p>

<p>Not currently for Nikon, but I, like you, have noticed the existence of this lens and wonder when it might be available for Nikon F mount. Zeiss makes several 'unique to Sony' lenses, among them an 85/1.4 with 2 additional lens elements compared to the ZF 85. I suspect, but do not know, that after a certain period of time(5 years?)these interesting designs may be available.</p>

<p>In order to adapt a Sony Alpha lens to Nikon F, you need to shave off 2 mm and replace the mount, which is tricky. The lens doesn't seem to have an aperture ring, which means that you need some electronic concoction to control the aperture. If you're serious, you could always ask SK Grimes about it, but there is no guarantee that this modification is possible and if it is, it will be costly.<br>

As for getting the lens for the Nikon system someday, who knows...ask Zeiss...</p>

<p>Thank you Keith and Oskar. The lens is phenomenal, not only for the the fast 1.8 aperture, but the image to produce. I have seen images first hand, from my friend whom own one with the Sony alfa. I hope some day it my be available for Nikon mount too.</p>

<p>It is a good idea Jerry, but I have to wait to my next pension payment and the next one and the next one . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . and the next one. Then maybe able to buy it. In the other hand, the D300 & D700 mach better cameras I own, then the Sony a-900, specially at high ISO. The Sony good to up 400 and the Nikon easy up to 600-800ASO! I don't give a sh. ... for the 24 mp sensor, I producing very good image with my D40 at 6 mp sensore.(I love this small camera.) Look this image with D40. Test run with an old 200mm/4 AI-S, hand held . . .http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=918446</p>

<p>Addendum; If I'm 26-36 year old and has excess to machines, laid, etc., I could easily modify the Zeiss lens mount to fit to Nikon F mount, with all the necessary connection. I was very good with very fine mechanical fabrication and electrical work was a child play for me. And I would be very happy having this Zeiss lens on my D700 or the D300 body.</p>

<p>I own the 135 f/1.8 as well as the Sony A900, after switching from Nikon earlier this year. It is by far the sharpest optic I have ever personally used, and combined with a 24mp sensor, often leaves me awestruck.<br>

I believe that Sony and Zeiss have an agreement that precludes Sony mount Zeiss glass from being produced in any other camera mount. The Carl Zeiss lenses for the Sony Alpha line are actually manufactured in Japan by Sony, with Carl Zeiss in charge of quality assurance for the lenses.<br /> It was a tough choice to leave Nikon, but one of the reasons was the Carl Zeiss glass (the Sony G series is also quite good), I have not been disappointed.<br /> All the Best.</p>

<p>I suspect the 135/1.8 will not become available for Nikon simply because this is a joint venture with Sony and the last thing Sony wants to do is to start making lenses for their competitors' DSLRs ... ;-) Though they might actually sell many more 135/1.8's if they did! However since it is an autofocus lens it probably isn't very easy to modify to work well on Nikon cameras, especially without Nikon's support. Even Nikon seems to have difficulty autofocusing their 135/2's and 105/2's on their own cameras :-D Well, that's a separate issue.</p>

<p>Hi Ilkka. As you mentioning the AF issues of the nikon 105 & 135 AF f/2 DC lenses, I don't like them either. That is the reason I acquired the older version, more solid and better build, manual 105/1.8 & 135/2 AI-S versions, and I'm very happy with them.<br>

The Zeiss is an other question. I love to have one to my Nikon D700. And I don't need a AF either. </p>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...