Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L "II" rumors

shubhankar_ray

<p>I have been trying to get a 35mm f/1.4L for sometime now, but many stores don't seem to have it in stock and some have increased the prices by 200-300$.<br>

There are some rumors about canon releasing a mark II version of this lens, this summer (canonrumors.com). I wonder if anyone has information about these new releases?<br>

If true, I think its better to spend a few extra bucks on the upgraded 35mm.</p>

<p>Shubhankar</p>

<blockquote>

<p>If true, I think its better to spend a few extra bucks on the upgraded 35mm.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>An upgrade is never a few extra bucks. Think mitt full 'o benjamins instead. Yep, same friggen lens but with improved internal flocking, a recessed AF/MF switch and a $1000 price increase.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>Why believe rumors?</p>

<p>Here's one - the EOS 60D will be released this fall. Here's another - the EOS 1Ds MkIV is coming soon.</p>

<p>If you think the lens shortage means a 35/1.4L II is on the way, then you should also anticipate an 85/1.8II, a 100/2.8 Macro II, a 135/2L II and a whole bucketload of new lenses (mostly prime) any day now...</p>

<p>Rumor websites are great. You need no facts and the more people you sucker in, the more you can make from advertising. People want to believe the rumors, so you have a captive audience. It's pretty much like selling crack.</p>

<p>Not that I'm saying there won't be an EOS 60D or a 1Ds MkIV or even a 35/1.4L II. Eventually I suppose we'll see pretty much anything you can predict. All bodies and lenses will eventually get "upgraded".</p>

<p>In general, lens "upgrades" aren't something I particularly wish for. You typically get 5% better performance for a 50% price increase.</p>

<p>i got this lens (35mm f1.4 L) about 2 months ago, and i didn't have to wait at all... the funny thing was that the guy that was selling it to me (he's an owner of the shop and main dealer of canon in irl) said, that i'm paying "old" price for it (€1569 - i live in dublin, ireland) as the price will be increased due to new batch coming to dealers in UK (all canon equipment coming to ireland through official channel is coming from UK) and they are changing currency they were paying with for all goods from £ to € because of crisis and £ loosing value considerably (there was a time that you could buy £1 for €1, so many folks were going for shopping to belfast or london and paying for 1DS mkIII around 5700 while in dublin price was 7499)...</p>

<p>regarding the lens, i don't really know what could you improve in this lens... optically and mechanically it's excellent and close to perfection...</p>

<p>i got this lens (35mm f1.4 L) about 2 months ago, and i didn't have to wait at all... the funny thing was that the guy that was selling it to me (he's an owner of the shop and main dealer of canon in irl) said, that i'm paying "old" price for it (€1569 - i live in dublin, ireland) as the price will be increased due to new batch coming to dealers in UK (all canon equipment coming to ireland through official channel is coming from UK) and they are changing currency they were paying with for all goods from £ to € because of crisis and £ loosing value considerably (there was a time that you could buy £1 for €1, so many folks were going for shopping to belfast or london and paying for 1DS mkIII around 5700 while in dublin price was 7499)...</p>

<p>regarding the lens, i don't really know what could you improve in this lens... optically and mechanically it's excellent and close to perfection...</p>

<p>The test of the current version of this lens at Photozone.de on a APS-C sensor showed superb sharpness; but there was some barrel distortion, some chromatic aberration, and some vignetting. If the changes in some of the other classic Canon lenses of late (such as the 16-35mm mk II) hold true for any revision of this one, these relatively minor problems will be virtually eliminated.</p>

<p>But the price is likely to be substantially higher if it does come out, since Bob is almost certainly right in this regard.</p>

<p>I agree with Ian. The only thing they could do to improve it is to make it significantly smaller. Any performance advantage they could possibly eek out is an advantage i coudn't possibly make use of.</p>

<p>I put my 35/1.4L up on ebay a while ago, when the first set of v.II rumours surfaced. The buyer flaked out and didn't pay. For whatever reason, i decided not to relist, and nearly a year later, no v.II has been produced. I'm so glad that buyer was such a schmuck. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>I The only thing they could do to improve it is to make it significantly smaller</p>

</blockquote>

<p>If it ever gets updated - smaller it ain't getting, but maybe a bit lighter. And as for improvements, even though it is a very good lens, there are a lot of aberrations evident on FF high-res sensors: CA, light fall-off, corner sharpness, a touch of barrel distortion. Yes, most of above is significant only wide open or near wide open, but still... I hope that Canon will squeeze that last 5% of performance when they update it (even if it ends up being 50% more expensive.) OTOH there are IMO way more pressing updates in the L line.</p>

<p>It is to dream! If they would bring out an f/1.2 16-35mm, I might hock the dog and get one. Of course, it would probably have to be tracked like some of the larger Canon L lenses already are. I don't think ordinary tires would do.</p>

• 1 month later...