Opinions on First Version 1.4/50 Summilux

geoff_r1

<p>I was wondering what the first 1.4/50 Summilux is like? The chrome made from 61-68 (I think), before the optical formula was changed (but still a chrome lens for s few years) to the second version, which was made for many years, and is well know.<br>

Pics would be appreciated.</p>

<p>I had one. Great lens. The 1961 lenses onwards were a slight improvement on the original 1959 Summilux, apparently: serial numbers from 1961 are 1844001 according to the Hove guide. I had 2028438, stolen from my car in 1986. I still have the neg and remember well photographing the three pointed star of my Dad's new Mercedes from minimum distance, f 1.4, 1/1000 on Tri X, my first photograph with my M2 and that lens. Beautiful OOF and creamy texture.</p>

<p>MY FAVORITE, but most will disagree. I guess that is why it was made from 1959/1961 only. Sharp in the center only until 2.8 when the edges start to come in. Good copies go for $800. You probably would be better served with the CV 1.5, but then it is not a leica lens and the panach is missing. Cost is half with better optical performance and half the mechanical precision.</p>

<p>The next version has more uniform sharpness, but to a lesser degree, over the whole field, ie not as sharp. It does not really get sharp until 8.0. It also has the most distortion of any Leica 50 mm. It is noticeable with straightlined subjects. Drives me crazy, but nobody elso ever complained that I read. Coma is well controlled for that vintage.</p>

<p>If you can find a copy of Irwin Putts lens compedium, he goes thru all the leica lenses. Right now it is not up on his sight. It used to be free PDF.<br>

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=Leica+Lens+Compendium&x=16&y=16">http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=Leica+Lens+Compendium&x=16&y=16</a></p>

<p>The sharpness king is the current 50 1.4. This will knock your stocks off compared to previous versions.</p>

<p>I also had one, stolen from a friend that borrowed it... Very sharp in the center one stop down, contrast on the low side, but wonderful resolution from f:4 down. Annoying flare wide open when lights inside frame, but gone at 1.5 (probably due to internal reflections inside the barrel) . Front element very exposed, difficult to find 43 filter, non-leica filters incompatible with lens hood. Overall, ... I miss it!</p>

• 2 months later...