Kodak Monitor film advance flaw

<p>I recently shot two rolls of Ektar 100 120 on my two Kodak Monitors that I collected sometime ago. Both rolls of film were re-spooled on to 620 spools. I discovered possibly a design flaw of Kodak Monitor. It happened on both of my Monitors.</p>

<p>I followed the instruction carefully to load the film. The instruction says to align the number 1 at the red window then move the winding clutch level next to the winding knob from "WIND" position to "1-8" position then turn the film winding knob a little further until it locks up and the camera is ready for taking a photo. The problem I had was it wasn't just to turn the winding knob a little but quite a bit. It continued to wind at least half a frame of film before it finally locked in position. So I think I lost half a frame of film at least to begin with.</p>

<p>The next problem is worse. I only got 4 to 5 shots and I ran out of film. I was supposed to get 8 frames. I think one of my Monitor got only 4 shots and the other 5 shots then bot ran out of film. I practiced loading film and taking pictures until I was very clear about how to do it correctly. Well, with film in them they did not behave the way I anticipated. I am quite disappointed. Kodak Monitor was a high end camera at the time. It seems they were not very well designed. The whole double exposure prevention mechanism do not work well in my opinion.</p>

<p>I also shot a 120 roll on my other collection, a Voigtlander Bessa. Everything was simple, smooth and worked the way I expected. It does not have a double exposure prevention mechanism like Kodak Monitor's of course. I have not processed the films yet. At this point I am afraid that I have collected two Monitors that are good for collection only, which wasn't what I had in mind. I got them for the purpose of using them. I feel pretty depressed.</p>

<p>It sounds like the film counter roller is binding and not being turned by the film. I have a 620 and a 616 Monitor. Both required some cleaning and new lube up under the top cover. There are also a couple of leaf springs next to the pressure plate.<br>

Watch the film indicator on the top cover. If that stops turning at any time, then you will be in trouble.<br>

A couple of weeks ago I used this 620 camera without a problem, but tonight on a test run its not working well at all. Very odd.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I had hoped that my Kodak Monitor would be very possible to load a 220 re-spooled to 620 spool and get 16 frames. I tried a practice 220 roll (exposed) and found that it just doesn't work. It is strange that the difference between 120 and 220 is only a layer of backing paper behind 120 film. I have removed the top to check into the gears inside. I gave them a little lube. Still the re-spooled 220 roll just won't work. Otherwise the Monitor would have been a great useful 6x9 to have.</p>

<p>Do you mean the problem has something to do with the re-spooled film? I already lubricated the gears and checked to make sure that all gears turn easily. It seems to be a real possibility that the re-spooled film caused the slipping of the roller. </p>

<p>When the roller stopped turning the film winding knob will not reach the lock position. The double exposure prevention mechanism will not allow the shutter button depressed. This means even if I used the red window to advance the film I still can not press the shutter button to fire the shutter. In my opinion it is a real bug of the double exposure prevention mechanism.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I don't think that the re-spooling is causing a problem. I think, as John has already said, that the whole mechanism has to be carefully cleaned and relubricated. I don't think that just oiling will do the job. Also check the spring fingers that press the film onto the count roller.<br>

As for operating it without the counter, The shutter can be released manually on the shutter itself, by a cable or by moving the lever under the viewfinder to the right.<br>

It may be worth persevering with it to use 220 film.<br>

How did your test shots look?</p>

<p>I will check the gears again. I did not take any thing apart to clean for fearing of any damage I may cause than fixing. The roller did turn with very slight effort by my finger. I already tried to lift the two leave spring so that they will press down against the back of the film harder. The problem persists on both of my Monitors. I will try it again with another expired roll of 120 film.</p>

<p>I think I am giving up the idea of shooting 220 films on my Monitors. I am pretty convinced that it won't work. I may try again with another expired 220 film. I can still shoot with 120. In the worse case I can use a shutter release cable hooked up on the lens and use the red window for the guide for advancing the film. This can not be done with 220 film.</p>

<p>I have not developed my Ektar 100 120 roll yet. It may be done in a few days. I will post a few images if they look good.</p>