Solar Position Calculator/Map

<p>Hi,<br>

I had an idea a little while back to plot the Sun's position against Google Maps data to allow me to approximate when and where the sun is going to rise and set on any given date. There has been a fair bit of cursing and swearing getting it up and running, but finally I think it is ready to give it a shot...<br>

Hopefully this will be a useful tool for photographers other than myself (or maybe I'm just getting too anal about planning ahead) but in order to do that it needs to be reasonably accurate. I've tested it against as many Internet sources as I can find, and though the results have been very positive I don't feel that is a substitute for looking out of the window. With the view from my window now thoroughly checked, perhaps some of you kind people could take a look and let me know if the the map is accurate for your location?</p>

<p><a href="http://www.iesmith.net/tools/solarcalc.html">Solar Calculator & Map</a></p>

<p>Remember though, it is only meant to give you an approximation... It can't account for altitude or local terrain, both of which will effect the time the sun sets or rises on the local horizon. There is also some work to do in improving the interface I feel, so I'd welcome any feedback in that respect.<br>

In any case, I hope it will be of some use to someone.<br>

On another note, the site in general is a new venture so I'd geniunely appreciate any feedback anyone feels inclined to give.<br>

Thanks,<br>

Iain</p>

<p>thanks Iain,<br />i will definately find that useful. i cant tell exactly how accurate it is but it certainly looks close enough for a very useful guide. with regards to the interface, i found it very straight forward and simple to use. is it ok to link that to my site?<br />cheers, Gary.</p>

<p>Iain, I just tried it for San Francisco, CA</p>

<p>It is 15:40 local time (GMT-8) and your calculator gives a current position of 340deg Az and -26deg Elevation.</p>

<p>I don't think the -26 is correct, since the sun is in the sky here (behind clouds albeit).</p>

<p>But I like the idea and have book marked the site for later when you get the bug(s) out.<br>

thanks<br>

<Chas><br /></p>

<p>I think I know what the problem was... Did you alter the time (in the Date & Time box) to reflect your local time? At the moment the calculator defaults to the current time in GMT. You'll need to alter the time to 15:40... It then brings up 260° az and 51° elevation.<br>

It looks like one enhancement I could make would be to try to pick up the local time from the browser, rather than the server. Or perhaps better still to work it out from the time zone data.<br>

Thanks,<br>

Iain</p>

<p>Iain, I didn't realize that I had to enter my on Time of Day. I assumed it was grabbed from my system, since the date was correct.</p>

<p>Not a serious problem, but a usability issue that's worth addressing. As a suggestion, I would get the current ToD from the system along with the Time Zone data.</p>

<p>Thanks,</p>

<p><Chas><br /></p><div>00TfJI-144567584.jpg.d4becf1362fe6c638fafc851605fbe3c.jpg</div>

<p>Thanks Scott, I was aware of TPE and it looks like a good program. I specifically developed as a web-based application as I'm not one who carries a laptop with me when on the road. I generally have to carry all my equipment on my back, so I wanted something I could drop into a friends house or cafe and use. For that reason, I'd like to think they were complimentary rather than competing.</p>

<p>Chas, Yes I'll be working on grabbing the local time rather than the server time, as it will save that extra step. I'll post back when done. I've probably been a bit UK-centric in my thinking when developing it, but at least the data looks right for 00:45! ;-)</p>

<p>Really pretty neat. While I was recently going through some of my dads stuff I found just such a calculator that I think was issued by the millitary during WW2. It folds up into it's own wallet kind of thing, and is labeled "American Emergency Standard" Photographic Exposure Computer ASA Z3833 1942. 24 pages of charts, and other instructions. </p>

<p>Lunar data actually crossed my mind... If I come across the right formulae for it I'll maybe include it - time permitting. Time in front of the computer is time not spent behind the lens! ;-)</p>

<p>I still need to sort out a few niggles with time zones I think, so I'll be prioritising that for now.</p>