Is photography a lifestyle?

<p>I think by examining famous photographers you will find at least one single common thread, and that is passion.<br>

By that I mean the desire to tell a story or create images is the passion of every photographer who is likely to achieve some recognition. If you travel in professional photo circles you will find that same passion, but there is a major distinction between the professional and the amateur. The amateur is no less passionate about the enjoyment and process of photography, but the professional has to earn a living and/or support a family.<br>

The "lifestyle" involved in professional photography is around business first. In order to apply one's passion, there has to be enough work to make it possible. Focus on bringing in business becomes primary, then the actual photographic process, then of course the focus becomes delivery. Whatever it takes out of your time and life to deliver your product is what constitutes your "lifestyle".<br>

The subject of your initial question has some interesting attributes. Does the passion of professional photography merge into personal life? I used to think it did but I find that the more I work, the less I carry a camera when I am not working. Yes, many people like to do personal projects just to enjoy making the photographs of your own choosing, and I do that occasionally, but the more time I spend in front of my computer doing processing, the more time I need to get away and spend with my family, or just relaxing.<br>

In the film days of course, there wasn't the dependency on Photoshop and post processing. But still, the time and effort it takes just to acquire business can be a full time job just by itself - especially today where the economy is in poor condition. Also, the time it takes just to keep current, maintain an online presence, stay in communication with clients, potential clients, vendors, other photographers, and just keeping your online images and website up to date, can be a lifestyle all by itself!<br>

Lou</p>

<p>What Michael Linder says above rings true with me. I do "look" at things differently. Wherever I go I am looking at photographic possibilities. I see places as "locations" and when I see light in many forms, I imagine using it for making a photograph. I also invision my subjects (mostly brides and grooms) in the locations and lighting almost everywhere. So in that case, my lifestyle has been affected. Your question is not stupid, in fact it is very relevant and carries into probably all forms of the arts where some are amateurs and some are professionals but the awareness is heightened towards the creative process.<br>

As a musician also, the way I hear things is different. When I'm not playing, I still feel the music around me and the rhythms are always noticeable.</p>

<p>There are so many to thank that I will not try to name you individually, but I do appreciate your attempts to answer my question(s). I have chosen not to respond in most cases and simply let persons say what they will.</p>

<p>The range of answers has been very enlightening. Thanks again to everyone.</p>

<p>--Lannie</p>

<p>Here is a late contribution:<br>

I received my first camera at 13. I dabbled in photography - it was just another hobby and my passion for it would ebb and flow with my many other interests. Lately however, as I have been going through a mid-life crisis of sorts, I have found that photography is an excellent means to not only unite my interests, but to share them with others in a creative way.<br>

But more than that, by going into the abstract or near-abstract images, I find it is a great way to record not only what I see but how I feel about my experiences.<br>

So, yes, photography has become a lifestyle. It would be nice to make a living from it, but I will pursue it whether I do or not.</p>

<p>It is a life style --absolutely. A lot of people have a passion that is unique in the way each photographer has to discover his/her own technique and creative expression.<br>

For me photography is the answer to my own neurosis and lack of ability to make a real connection with someone. Photo journalism is a field where your solitude and ability to separate yourself from the moment is a positive thing. To be constantly searching for fleeting beauty and capturing it is a very special and sacred thing to me.<br>

How many hours do you spend working over the same photograph in the lightroom/darkroom? I always felt that there is a certain level of insanity required to fully take on photography. I mean just look at all the threads on here that compare cameras and lenses. All the threads that get down into pixel-peeping.<br>

It can consume your life, if you let it. For others it's not so hard a sacrifice to make. For me, though, nothing really matters --only the image matters. Doesn't matter what equipment you used, doesn't matter how much post you did. I think that is where the passion needs to be: your artistic vision. You've been living your whole life in it and you've just now come to realize it.</p>

• 2 weeks later...