Want your next camera made in Japan?

<p>Keith Reeder, lighten up a bit. While insinuating that the Chinese are less capable than the Japanese may be a small bit of "racism", insinuating that China is less capable of high quality production than is Japan is more a question of institutions and culture rather than race or ethnicity. I think you are missing the big picture here and unfairly brandishing a sword of political correctness to silence your foes. What we have here is "place-ism" not racism.</p>

<p>For example of place-ism, consider Germany. Pre-war german manufacturing quality was rather homogenous, as were political insitutions, race and culture. However, in post-war Germany, two different political institutions were implemented (both different from the initial state pre-war state) and strong quality differential emerged. With the merging of the German state, the quality differential has eased, though it has taken time. While China, Japan, Thailand, etc... are not as juxtaposed as East and West Germany, there are substantial differences in law, regulation, etc... that we can expect to lead to quality differentials. I for one have given up on Chinese derived food due to an utter lack of regulation by the Chinese state, not because thet average Chinese citizen is somehow less intelligent or less concerned with quality than the average American citizen. While I am sure that Canon and Nikon are ruthlessly concerned with their quality control (and I would readily buy their products regardless if where they are manufactured) I am less convinced about Chinese-owned companies as some of my experiences have been good, others less than satisfactory.</p>

<p>I also object to China for my own political reasons and would prefer to buy my products elsewhere so I do not enrich a despotic regime... however, that is completely off-topic but provides even more evidence that a strong preference for a country of origin can hardly be construed as "racist." But, if you must continue to dilute the word... feel free.</p>

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Well, my former, but beloved, Mazda 626 was made in Hiroshima by workers who likely knew it was headed to the US of A.</p>

<p>There's fertile ground for paranoia! I mean, they wouldn't do anything, would they....?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>In the West, there was a huge struggle that had to be won before the formation of a middle class could take place. At least we had a democracy and rule of law by that time that could be utilized for justice.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Memories...of the way...we were...scattered pictures...etc...etc...</p>

<blockquote>

<blockquote><br /></blockquote>

<blockquote><br /></blockquote>

</blockquote>

• 4 weeks later...

<p>Mainly for cars and electronics, if the prices are similar, I too prefer a Japan-made product over other countries of origin because of attention to detail and tight tolerances made inherent in japanese manufacturing culture.<br>

<strong></strong><br>

Here is why I still prefer this even in the face of globalization. I recently bought my first dslr, a Nikon D90. It did not upset me that much that it was made in Thailand since I was reassured by many places online that the plant has strict QC and management.<br>

<strong></strong><br>

However, when I received my camera all was well except for one minor misalignment of the popup flash. I'm a very detail oriented guy and can find minor misalignments in manufacturing and it really annoyed me since it was the most I have ever spent on a camera. I checked out other similar units at local stores and most of them did not have the issue. I also ordered another unit from the online store I bought it from and it had the same misalignment, so I chalk it up to a bad batch or the same worker or machine that part.<br>

<strong></strong><br>

What this tells me is that Nikon QC was willing to let this go. Sure in economic terms, it is better to let it go and have the .01% of anal retentive manufacturing-tolerance guys like me complain about it or return the unit, than to send back all those units and fix the problem in the first place for better quality. Most people probably wouldn't even care it and complain anyway. So it probably made economic sense at the Thai factory.<br>

<strong></strong><br>

However, I just cannot imagine this scenario happening at a Japanese plant. If I could spot it, then i'm sure the QC worker in charge of that should have spotted it after seeing millions of similar units and I"m sure it would have gone back for readjustment or discarded. I'm basing this on the fact that all the point and shoots (Canons and Panasonics) I have owned were made in Japan and have not had a single problem like this ever. They were all under $300. I figured a $1000 purchase would have offered me better quality. The only differences were their places of manufacture.<br>

<strong></strong><br>

Did my unit work fine and do I love the camera? Absolutely. But did that one small issue bother me and cost me time? Absolutely.<br>

<strong></strong><br>

I'm still convinced that japanese manufacturing of electronics is the best in the world for however longer it will stay on top. It's amazing that Canon is able to still manufacture in Japan and keep their prices competitive as well. People who prefer made in Japan usually have a story or anecdote to back up the reason for why they feel that way.</p>

• 2 years later...
<p> I have learned I have little to say in the world except with my vote and where I spend my money. Things like human rights, environment and jobs are important to me. Mostly I buy used gear anyway as I prefer shooting film. But I buy Domke camera bags, Tiffen filters and Kodak film. All American companies providing jobs for Americans. When I shop for a product whatever it is I always look at the options available, the country of manufacture, human rights, environment and price and shop accordingly. If I were going to buy a brand new camera I would want one made in Japan or Germany. However if I ever buy another camera it will be a used camera probably from KEH.com as they offer lots of good choices and warranty. The money from that camera sale will stay in America. However it's not possible to live like that for everything for me but I do the best that I can.</p>