NYC signs: use of cameras prohibited / strictly enforced

<p>So reads the signs on most bridge and tunnel entrances in the city. What's up with these? Have the terrorists won or what? What sort of damage can be done by shooting pictures of such structures?</p>

<p> In a related historical tale: My father was a policeman in Poughkeepsie , NY in the 1930-40's. He told me a story about two "Oriental" gentlemen "caught" photographing Po'keepsie's Mid Hudson Bridge in the weeks after the attack on Pearl Harbor. The city police arrested the men and hauled them to jail. Where they were stripped and beaten, and their cameras smashed. Soon after this it was revealed that the men were in fact Chinese, not Japanese. And were both visiting professors of Chinese history on their way to Vassar College.</p>

<p>Hey Steve,<br>

Interesting observation - but you can get pics of just about anywhere in NYC through google maps, or live.maps - or whatever - including satellite views - so maybe this is what we would call irony? I am a native new yorker - born and raised - and was living in Manhattan during 9/11, though thee days we live in Bostobn. I do know if you loiter too long in front of a major public space - say the Federal building - you will attract attention. Same thing if you take pictures on the subway.<br>

Anyway - we miss new york. Please send bagels :-)</p>

<p>The most logical explaination is that the postcard industy is trying to make photos of the landmarks harder to get so they can sell more postcards. As far as preventing "terrorists" these bans on photography make no sense. Which terrorist attacks actually used photos of landmarks?</p>

<p>What if our enemies were to discover these landmark picture postcards being sold at the very landmarks we are trying to protect? If they got their hands on them the consequences would be terrible.</p>

<p>I don't think terrorism is the reason, but it is a good excuse for those who want to control and define their public image, especially politicians, police, "community leaders" and celebrities, plus artists who don't want their "public art" to be too public. It is more due to Rodney King, that to bin Laden.</p>

<p>actually Tom....most of that link refers to privately owned venues. And as it is the owners private property they can prohibit photography if they want to. It's actually done at most venues, and not after 9/11 but concerts were definitely way before, (although I can only attest to Philadelphia and NYC, personally). The museum thing has also always been in effect, again, NYC and Philly to my knowledge. The tripod prohibition is actually a safety concern...not a pic prohibitting thing.</p>

<p>What the poster and at least myself was referring to is Public photography. Pictures taken from public property. It's public, there is no privacy. You can take pics of what ever you want to.....or at least you should be able to And in that regard, I stand by my previous statement.</p>

<p>the signs on the bridges have been there before 9/11,they are on the bridges because there are some good views of manhattan and people would drive slow and even stop their cars on the bridge to take photos of manhattan,especially from the Throgg Neck Bridge(now RFK Bridge).The signs in the subways and tunnels were put up after 9/11 i believe</p>

<p>You'll probably get a better answer from the Mayor's Office in New York. If you've been reading some of the forums, the NYPD recently caught up with public policy and sent out a reminder to their officers. It wouldn't surprise me if the PATH and bridge authorities were equally efficient. But, it's New York - and for much of the rest of the country, it's really true: "We ("I" for you purists who might care about NY) don't care how they do it in New York."</p>

<p>In a case currently going through the courts in Britain, the person charged with terrorist offences was seen wandering around a shopping mall, not taking photographs but making notes in a small notebook. So expect a ban on pens and paper any time now.</p>

<p>The signs merely say use of cameras are prohibited. No mention is made of when they were put up. No mentionis made of why they were put up. <br>

I suggest the OP go and take some photos and during the "strictly enforced" phase of the operation he can find out the whys. <br>

After he is released from custody or jail, matters little which it is, he can report back to P-Net and we will also expect the photos he took to be posted.<br>

It could be assumed the signs were placed after 9/11 (no one knows for certain). It could also be assumed this thread was started with the explicit intent of getting folks riled up. <br>

When I see signs like this, I usually take a photo. I have an archive.... </p>

<p>New Yorker here... I'm yet to see anyone being pulled over for taking a picture/video when the sign says otherwise.<br>

<strong><em>Security Theater, Security Theater, Security Theater</em> </strong> <strong><em> Security Theater, Security Theater, Security Theater </em> </strong> <strong><em>Security Theater, Security Theater, Security Theater</em> </strong><br>

<strong><em><em>Adam </em> <br /> </em> </strong></p>