What type of shutter does a digital point and shoot have such as Canon G10

<p>Of course it has a shutter - something's gotta keep the light from hitting the sensor.</p>

<p>Keep in mind that the G10 does not have a constant aperture - the more you focus in, the smaller the aperture gets. Typically the sweet spot is two stops down from the largest aperture setting - at the wide end, that would be f4 to f5.6. I usually leave mine at f/5.6, unless I want to go for a particular effect.</p>

<p>Joe,</p>

<p>I don't believe this camera has a mechanical shutter. The sensor is always exposed to the light and the exposure time is controlled electronically.</p>

<p>I can't tell you the sharpest f-stop, but 4.5 is probably pretty close.</p>

<p>I see the difference between the P&S shutter and the DSLR as between the Compur and focal plane shutter in principle advantage that it syncs electronic flash at all speeds without the need for a strobing flashgun. <br>

I think you will find that some P&S have both electronic and physical shutters which close prior to exposure and then open again after the exposure to maintain viewing through LCD or EVF. But I have not read this subject up and it is not something which reviews seem to mention. </p>