Grandfather Mtn., Linville Falls, Other Area Photo Ops

timwitt

<p>Please suggest locations and best time of day to shoot picturesque views of Grandfather Mountain.</p>

<p>Any photo ops on Grandfather Mountain to suggest other than what should be obvious to a first time visitor?</p>

<p>Other than right at Linville Falls by the trails, are there any locations with photo views from a distance (500 feet to 1 mile)?</p>

<p>What is the best time of day for maximum lighting of Hwy 221 falls about 8 miles south of Blowing Rock?</p>

<p>Any landscape or architectural (old buildings, bridges, "things") photo op suggestions for the area just north of Blowing Rock to just south of Linville Falls accessible from 221, Parkway or 105?</p>

<p>Please suggest locations for sunrise and sunset photo ops that include interesting foreground (anywhere between camera and sun) in silhouette or otherwise in this area.</p>

<p>I have been Linville Falls about 5 years ago. I don't know what you mean by 'by the trails'. The area is not surprisingly very heavy forest and is in a steep gorge to the best of my recollection. I wouldn't recommend getting off the trail to photograph it. It is a very photographic fall though. When I was there 5 years ago a hurricane's rain left the parkway to the south closed. There was another nice waterfall south of Linville (I can check that if you are interested) on the way to Hickery. However you have to work your way through the forest down a cliff to get to the bottom of these falls and I got very badly stung by a huge swarm of wasps or hornets on the way down.</p>

<p>As far as 'things' I am a nature photographer so yes, there was plenty of things to photograph; insects, centipedes, fungi, cool plants etc. Sorry I don't take much notice of buildings.</p>

<p>I've never been to Grandfather Mountain. It is a private resort property so I would surprised to hear that they don't have a web presence that couldn't answer answer your question.</p>

<p>As a North Carolinian...I will take a stab at this.<br>

Grandfather Mountain is an outstaning place to photograph. Google the late Hugh Morton, owner of Grandfather Mountain (recently sold to State of NC), for many ideas. Remember this is a public park that charges an entrance fee- lots of people will be visiting the area. So time of day is key- get there early or stay late. Most people visit from 10am-4pm. All along the Blue Ridge Parkway leading up to the area at Blue Ridge Parkway and Hwy221 many overlooks and sightlines of the mountain. It is really going to be up to you- to pick one you like best. I like most of the area north of the mountain. Especially areas close to Lin Cove Via duct. Check out the website for Grandfather Montain- they recently held their photo contest weekend/workshop- lots of good shots. The animal habitats can be okay but again lots of people if it is mid day. My suggestion is the following areas- along the park are near the entrance losts of wildflowers and rhododenrons (possible blooms right now), then off the hiking trails near the summit. The rangers on Grandfather Mountain are very helpful but prepare for some hiking- some trails include ladders and extreme conditions to navigate.<br>

Now on to Linville Falls...The best stop for a full view of the upper and lower falls is from across the gorge at a standard lookout (I do not remember the name) it is may be a 15-20 minute hike- not difficult, My best guesss is than you need to be there in the afternoon- I just cannot remember. There is lots of glare off the rocks, so please confirm it. Do not miss Dugger's Creek right off the main parking lot- very neat small waterfall. A hike to the bottom can be good, I have not the best image from down there. Water levels in the river can make it is extremely difficult to get close enough. We have had significant rain in the last week- 5-8 inches.<br>

A good source for NC Waterfalls is in the book by Kevin Adams. He has written a guide to all waterfalls in NC- very good book with lots of specific information for photographers. I strongley recommend it- available all over.<br>

Good luck and let me know if I can be more of assistance. I go often and live about 2 hours away, so I just know where to be without much thought but not easy to describe to someone.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I've traveled less on Blowing Rock side so I tend to prefer the 105 perspective. Decent views from Foscoe, has a good profile view. Possibly up on Hawks Nest Ski Resort area. The resort would be gated and closed this time of year. Grandfather often has lenticular clouds around the peak. If my terminology is incorrect I apologize - not a meteorologist. Memorial weekend 09 - the cougar at Grandfather was unavailable while the enclosure was being remodeled. The bears were ok, the otters were better, good access to the eagles, didn't look at the deer. Same weekend the view from the top was in the fog.<br /> As for barns, buildings, etc. Get off the main roads - Matney (NE of Banner Elk). Covered bridge in Foscoe at Sleepy Hollow road - on left when heading toward Sugar. Old Beech Mtn road. Take Sam Eller rd to Old Beech Mtn to Buckeye back to 421. You'll come back into Boone from the west. Another decent loop - Shulls Mill over to 105 take a left or SE to the gas station at Church Rd - follow it back to Holloway mtn road and back over to the parkway and back into Blowing rock. Mast store and Annex in Valley Crucis.<br /> All roads mentioned you can do in a car minus winter weather. Using a garmin I've really tried to get lost but it always showed me the way home.<br /> I lived in Boone area for 3 years - my mother was there for 12. I wandered the roads alot and never had any issues with anyone. If something was posted or I wanted to go on their property I knocked on the door - most were happy to help. Have fun.</p>

<p>Thanks for the replies, I made the trip June 7, 8 and 9 and here is an update:</p>

<p>Picturesque views of Grandfather Mtn.- Fair views from the parkway. Nice view from a mile or so south of the mtn. on 221. Nice views from 105 just north of intersection of 221 and 105 but did not find a good place to stop to take photos. No other locations explored.</p>

<p>Grandfather Mtn.- no particular photo ops noted other than what is obvious. I did not go on any trails or to the animal habitats. There is no shortage of ops.</p>

<p>Linville Falls- From the parkway (mp316.4) trail overlooks, Gorge View is inhibited by foliage but this is not a view of the falls, Erwin's View is the highest elevation view of the falls, it is also the most distant view, I liked Chimney View much better but there is foliage near the base of the falls that prevent a complete view of the base of the falls and the basin from both overlooks. I did not go to Upper Falls or Plunge Basin overlook on this trip. I also did not go to Dugger's Creek Falls due to time limits.</p>

<p>Highway 221 Falls about 7-8 miles south of Blowing Rock on the west side of 221 is best illuminated by morning to noon light if you want full to nearly full frontal light.</p>

<p>Old buildings/barns- Found some along 221 south of Linville, just look around. I did not travel more than 221 but there are most likely many ops along the side roads.</p>

<p>Sunrise/sunset locations- I never found the right place but I'm sure they are somewhere. I was dissapointed in this category but I'll try again after more research.</p>

<p>Linn Cove Viaduct- at least two views below the viaduct from 221 (ride and look), the traditional view from a large boulder north of the viaduct. A helicopter would be quite useful for the ultimate shot!</p>

<p>I hope this thread will continue to add photo information and will become a mini photo guide for the area.</p>

<p> </p>