Radio slaves for Alien Bees: not sure what I should get

kwest1

<p>I'm trying to decide on a set of radio slaves for the two Alien Bees I have. Does anyone discourage the CyberSync setup that Paul C. Buff makes?</p>

<p>I'd like to stay under $250 for two receivers and a transmitter, but don't want anything unreliable either.</p>

<p>They seem to be enjoying a good reputation so far. It's more a question of whether you'll need to eventually be compatible with something else (like the Pocket Wizard chips that can be installed into certain light meters, etc). But for the price you're talking about, the Buff units will serve you well.</p>

<p>I had the first generation of the AlienBees remote system, and it was awful-basically an overpriced eBay trigger, and it failed after about a month. The CyberSyncs seem to be much better. If you're sticking with AlienBees and White Lightnings, the CyberSync looks like a good system for the money. If not, Pocket Wizard would be my suggestion.</p>

<p>I have the revision #2 version (manufactured after September 1, 2008) of the CyberSync CST Transmitter and CyberSync CSRB Battery Receivers. No problems so far. Highly recommended for the price. Just remember to remove at least one battery from each device before storing in your camera bag. Otherwise, the test button may be depressed depleting the batteries before your next photo assignment.</p>

<p>That's generally what I was thinking - thanks for confirming that. I would like to avoid limiting myself by getting something that is compatible mostly with AB units, but I figure if I move into another type of setup I can always sell it and buy something different. For now, the CyberSync should be ideal for my needs - I definitely need something that won't fail and does the job.</p>

<p>I just picked up the cybersync battery models and they perform much better than the cactus C2's...... if you go with the battery powered cybersyncs then you will certainly be compatible with other models, but if you go with the 120VAC models (which get power from plugging inline with the bees power cable) you might be stuck using them only on your bees, or similarly plugged device.<br>

It all comes down to the cables for the battery powered cybersyncs... and I just hacked my 2x 430ex and 580 ex to accept the same 1/8" mono plug which my AB800 takes...</p>

<p>I have 8 CyberSyncs. I use them outdoors to fire White Lightning and Alien Bees monolights, and up to 10 Nikon SB flash. They've never failed, even in Minnesota winters when it gets down to 30 below.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>While there are many choices out there, one of the things to consider is what your future needs may be. If you are planning to use more portable on camera lighting, such as the Quantum units, you may want to invest in their FreeXwire units. They transmit information between the camera and remote Qflashes and can also trigger your White Lightenings / Alien Bees at the same time</p>