Are we all hypocrits or what?

<p>Salvador, you bring up an interesting point. First of all I think that rude comments are of no use to anyone and often say more about the one who writes them.<br>

I think more than anything else however some nudes tend to attract comments that deal with the phenomenon rather than the actual content, often based on personal convictions.</p>

<p><em>"But it is not fair that someone says (this sucks, I cannot really say any positive o the shot) and then one sees there is no a single shot under this category."</em><br>

I agree that such a comment isn't of any practical use. I don't think however that you need to prove your "credentials" first in order to provide a usefull and or informed comment. It happened to me once. I wrote a comment under a nude that in my opinion was technically flawed i.e. badly lit and I wrote as much. While the photographer never acknowledged my comment one way or the other (which is perfectly OK) someone else wrote something like "forget about it. What does he know, he's just a streetshooter".</p>

<p>That is rather interesting in itself because first of all what we upload here (if anything) isn't necessarily all we have done. More important still, do I have to shoot, in this case, nudes to give a credible comment about a photo? I don't think so. Good (and bad) advice comes from all directions and while it's helpfull if you can find a context from which such a comment is written it's in fact the actual content of the comment that is most important and should be dealt with.</p>

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p><em>I do not usually get involved in a very contentious topic, but was drawn to Mike's protfolio after receiving a more than favorable rate on a digital alteration, he directed rated it so I wanted to review the source of the rating... I think when I get a rating I want to really see the quality of work to determine the level of experience and position of the person providing the rate. It helps me bench mark for my own reference... I do not care really if the person favors one type of shooting over another, travel, flower, digital alteration, etc. I think all have challanges. We all have the option to submit a piece and for comment only and to forgo having a numeric value assigned. The value only allows me to see what people find interesting is all nothing more. I am sure there are those who intentionally inflate or for the matter throw a low score out of some jealousy etc. I discount high and low scores and average the balance and I can then judge how the image is recieved. </em><br>

<em>I have not be with this site very long and indeed to date I have found most people helpful and able to give comments that I review carefully , some I incorporate but always I try to follow up as time permits. </em><br>

<em>I would love to ask post processing questions on what was done or how the effect was achieved but I am concerned that is a bit unacceptable... I for one will openly share any aspect, any process, and even post a blog on tut's for questions asked of any work I do... I like to share and explain. But I have not been asked on this site, maybe because my work is not what is found to be interesting or just a fear of doing so.</em><br>

<em>Photography is an art, in as much as it is art we all do not like the same thing, therefore people will rate based on their likes or dislikes. When I see something that warrants a good score I always attempt to comment as to why I like it either use of the rule of thirds the post process layer color etc. </em><br>

<em>I also know that development in the computer is more flexable than in film but I did a lot of file work allowing multi exposures, dodge and burn, accent, and various development methods such a cyanotype and platinum and pladium processing. Master such as Adams always kept his work to him self until he post proceesed the work. A recent class action suit but the family of A. Adams stated that photographs taken by Adams and not post processed could not be printed and called his work So post porcessing is as much a part of photography as the photograph it's self.</em><br>

<em>I trust I have not offended anyone not blured the line of rating or comments or to process or not process. I just wanted to say thanks to anyone who provides any comment to me if they are intened to be constructive. An for the 3 or 4's etc. I get I just wish the ones who felt that way would write to me and say what was it that made you feel that an image was less than average so I could improve...</em><br>

Thanks so very much MJ</p>

<p>Oh I remember my first year on Pnet... I was spending too much time getting frustrated with random raters... then came the time of the anonymous raters, then the bots giving 1/1 and 2/2 and so on...<br /> Then we all grew up (spiritually, literally, or whatever suits you) and we really enjoy Pnet networking and trusting only a few Pnet users and their opinion. Been there, done that. It's the photo.net maturation process. Most of us go through and forget frustration :)<br>

Overrated ratings, "nice" comments and so on are just part of us, we're human beings, we have feelings.<br /> Sometimes I feel like posting the classic dumb comment just because I am pleased by the photograph and I don't necessarily want to come up with the most intelligent and constructive criticism. If, like you say, the photo is really bad and can be improved by a technical help, I gladly share my humble opinion and don't leave any rating. I share what I myself learned here on Pnet from others who were willing to kindly distill their knowledge with me.<br /> It's the internet, lots of garbage, it takes time to filter through. It's worth it. Just forget about the fake comments and take advantage of the "true" constructive criticism that you can always get from the "real" friends photographers...<br /> Shoot (photos) and let live. Peace out.</p>