EOS 60D; 600D; 6D - What's next & when?

dave92029

<p>Wishfull thinking. Price wont drop if any at all.<br>

Feature merge is due to competition. Nikon adds a feature, the Canon version beter have it on the next model too or consumers migrate. Personally, I wish they'd stop with all the video crap in adding it to all the pro bodies. Its stupid and robs me of actual upgrades when they make a new model. Instead of adding real performance, they add....video. Leave that to the point and shoot cameras and if you need video that bad, then do video. Give us real IQ upgrades with better dynamic range and noise control instead of pixels and video. I swear, if the video feature makes it to the 1 Series Canon stuff, I'm done and will make the switch to Nikon.</p>

<p>The 60D will probably be the next update in model. The 50D came out really way to soon in model line. The XXD models usually go 18 months or so, but my 40D was replaced after less thgan a year. I bought a 40D a few days after they hit the stores in late 2007. Then purchased a 1D MarkIII in April 2008. I intended on selling it to recover some cost of upgrading to the 1DIII, but when the 50D came, I might as well keep it for what I could sell it for. And it came somewhere in June I think. Crazy. Makes a good backup body.<br>

I think Canon just released the T1i so that covers the 600D side.</p>

<p>Dont look for a 6D anytime soon. They kept us waiting forever on the 5DII and then when it came, not much of an upgrade for all the wait and hype. Again....VIDEO!</p>

<p>But of course, none of this is concrete and is entirely dicated by competition, so the 5DII could be replaced by Christmas for all we know. Watch both Nikon and Canon and that usually gives an idea of when something may come. Remember, no one here knows. Its all speculation just as I made.</p>

<p>The ones who know, aint here and they aint tellin.</p>

<p>These threads usually get shut down but hey ho, a bit of fun....</p>

<p>The 55D will be announced with a larger APS-H sensor and the same resolution of 15MP. The viewfinder will not be 100% coverage to allow a smaller mirror and facilitate the use of EF or EF-S lenses.<br>

It will have a split prism with second cmos for live view (similar to the Sony a350, Olympus 330 etc), allowing phase detection AF even in live view mode.<br>

It will also have wireless E-TTL flash from the body.<br>

It will record video with the option of a 25fps mode.<br>

It will retain the same buffer & processing as the 50d, i.e. pretty fast but the bigger pixels will make for better images at the higher ISOs.<br>

There will be a sliding switch on the base of the camera to alternate between 2 anti aliasing filters. One for IR one for regular imaging.<br>

It will have an on the street price around 30% more than the 50D and will have scientific & forensic applications.<br>

6 months away.</p>

<p>The 550d will be pretty much the same as the 500D except that there will be an audio input with manual level & VU meter and a headphone socket. There will also be a 25fps mode as well.<br>

It will gain a centre point active to f8 and a few more of the points will become cross points.<br>

The video mode and the still mode will not be useable similtaniously, but the stills buffer will rise to 5 fps.</p>

<p>The 5DMk3 will rise to 24MP, and have 3CMOS, not for RGB but similtaneous bracketing. There will be two modes, an ISO bracket mode (so that the same shot is taken at the same moment but at different ISOs) or an electronic shutter mode, where the curtain opens, and the camera exposes by duration of read off, again happens at the same.<br>

The camera will also have the option of saving a processed HDR or saving the 3 files for use with software.<br>

This feature will make the 5DMk3 the landscape camera of choice.<br>

The same imporvements to the 550D audio will appear on the 5Dmk3 with a choise of stereo minijack or single XLR input.</p>

<p>The poor economy if anything will cause a price increase, the poor western currencies struggling against the yen.</p>

<p>All hokum. Some indulgent suggestions. Some a bit far fetched.</p>

<p>If Canon are reading: incorporate a 'peaking' feature to assist live view.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"I wish they'd stop with all the video crap in adding it to all the pro bodies. Its stupid and robs me of actual upgrades when they make a new model. Instead of adding real performance, they add....video. Leave that to the point and shoot cameras and if you need video that bad, then do video. Give us real IQ upgrades with better dynamic range and noise control instead of pixels and video. I swear, if the video feature makes it to the 1 Series Canon stuff, I'm done and will make the switch to Nikon."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Maybe they cant improve IQ so they are adding features, I dont understand this fear of video, it doesn't bother me and it doesn't degrade the IQ, don't use it if you don't want to, its not going to stop them from making improvements in IQ.<br>

Ross</p>

<p><em>I swear, if the video feature makes it to the 1 Series Canon stuff, I'm done and will make the switch to Nikon.</em></p>

<p>If the 1 series has video, then you can be certain Nikon's top line will have video soon after, if not before. If I get tired of technology, I fulfill my semi-luddite itch by using some of my film cameras...</p>

<p>I think the 1D series is actually where the video facility may be the most useful. Photojournos in the heat of the action, think of all the great war photos and iconic photojournalism. How much better would it be to have the option of moving footage as well?<br>

The knack is for them to work out a way to avoid mirror movement.<br>

The return of the pellicle a-la 16mm movie cameras?<br>

Given that these cameras are primarily used for newsprint do they need 21MP? What about a 6MP chip? (After all this is more than what you get using a DX lens on a Nikon D3) Much more processing power freed up. 6MP at 25 or 30fps? Hi-Def and then some, lift off the image you want.<br>

just rambles.</p>

<p>Canon won't use the moniker 60D. Instead, the 50D replacement will be called the Digital Élan or 50D MK II. Each generation has less reasons to upgrade but I guess they'll have to add HDTV ability to please the gimmick lovers. I just want shiftable DEP mode and ECF back...</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>I wish Canon would build a Pentax K7. Now that the technology is pretty mature and there is less pressure to upgrade every cycle, I love the idea of a smallish, metal, weather sealed camera with a 50D feature set, and in-body image stabilisation.<br>

I mean what is the point of making weather sealed prosumer f4 L lenses and then not offering weather sealing in anything less than a 1 series body?<br>

And what is the point of sticking with lens based IS and then not offering it in any primes shorter than the 200 f2, as well as MIA on half of their consumer zooms?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Now that the technology is pretty mature and there is less pressure to upgrade every cycle..."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Thanks for the delicious giggle! Refresh cycles seem to be accelerating and people are tossing away obsolete models faster than ever!</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>Well people responded rationally I think they could easily skip a cycle or two, without missing out on anything. <br>

I can't see why I would upgrade my 450D to a 500D and I can't see why I would upgrade my 5D to a markII - certianly not for any difference in IQ. But maybe that is just me.</p>

<p>You're right, Geoff. I skipped the 50D, and - personally - don't feel under any pressure whatsoever to have one. My 40D continues to provide me with truly impressive images, exactly as it has done since September 2007.</p>

<p>Just because a camera exists, it doesn't mean I have to have it.</p>

<p>Then again, I'm not a child...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Thanks for the delicious giggle! Refresh cycles seem to be accelerating and people are tossing away obsolete models faster than ever!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Would take issue with the use of the word obselete, but you are right. MUST BE latest and greatest. For a feature I never knew I needed and don't use now I've got it. But it's badge honour....<br>

My next DSLR is definately going to be used. Seeing some real bargains. Let somebody else take the depreciation hit. Even then it will only be when my scabby 10mp model becomes unusable. Which will be through wear rather than spec envy.<br>

The core technology is no longer jumping on by massive strides, so if folks want to start offloading their kit for daft money I'm happy to help them.</p>

<p>Me,<br>

I'm skipping the 50D phase as well, My 40D is still taking the same photos that I need to take.<br>

I'll hold off until the FPS and usable high ISO get raised so much that it'll make it well worth my while to improve night time sports shoots.<br>

Again I agree, I'd buy a Videocam if I needed Video.</p>