I may be saying goodbye to camera straps soon...new product

steve_c.5

<p>(WW) Yes, but does it grab your <em>camera</em>? :-) (rhetorical)</p>

<p>Again, I think the parts are made from stainless steel, not plastic, including the part that screws to the bottom of the camera.</p>

<p>In the words of Cajun humorist Justin Wilson, "I'm a safety man. I wear bot' a belt AN' suspenders...I don't took a chance!" I see there are some safety folks here too.</p>

<p>Even if you leave the strap on your camera, I can see this being useful. When I'm shooting formals and working with people, I have to use my hands to help position them, help them move stray hairs off their forehead, etc. I don't know how many times I've laid my camera on the ground or a pew, so I could either demonstrate a pose or do something where I didn't want the camera slung from my shoulder. If I had this, it would be so easy to drop the camera onto the belt hook for a brief minute and retrieve it quickly. Of course, those who love their brackets need not apply.</p>

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

<p>Well, with my ever expanding butt, it would probably just cause my pants to slip down more often. Also I'd be really warry of smacking the camera against something the same way one does a cell phone on a clip. Finally, I need the strap to rescue me when it drops out of my hands, which has happened more than a few times.</p>

<p>On the other hand, it would be nice to get those dang straps out of the way. I think though I'd prefer a tripod mount (like the picture above) so you could use it interchangeably.</p>

<p>If I wasn't so dang uncordinated and didn't have a miraculous ability to drop, bang, or otherwise do harm to equipment, it would seem like an interesting idea.</p>

<p>Thanks for posting it.</p>

<p>"There have been reports of the Black Rapid straps' clip failure with larger, pro cameras."</p>

<p>There were a few clip failures with BlackRapid straps, so the company sent out upgraded hardware to all of their cutomers. I've never had a problem, even when using the 70-200 VR on a D700. But I replaced the old hardware with the new when it arrived, just to be sure.</p>

<p>Booray. Pro camrea shops sell just the quick release base and camera mount for $50 here. the trick is finding a comfortable screw to fit it. and my strap does not move around. I used it on a few jobs. Not great with a flash though but I am doing more natural light with the D300.<br>

The problem with my belt idea is that it takes longer to mount the camera because you have to seat it precisely but it releases with one hand quickly.<br>

I never use the belt without a camera strap. I am going to try it slung like the other one though.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>For the record...I saw a photog at a swim meet I was coaching at with the R-Strap. I fell in love from afar, and have been searching for nearly 4 months to figure out what the darn thing was called. I emailed the photog to ask about his strap but never got a response. THANK YOU for saving my sanity-I just ordered mine!<br>

As for the holster-I too, would be afraid of the doorway bump or a passerby knocking it. Plus, I don't think the bride would enjoy my pants falling down under the weight of the clip. For those afraid of dropping it after unclipping-consider trying a handstrap to give you a bit more control/grip!</p>

<p>I see it hanging from the belt ... in about a half hour I see it hanging around my ankles because the weight has dragged my pants down. Nothing worse than hitching your pants multiple times and needing to re-tuck the shirt because of the weight on the belt.</p>

<p>I like the comfort of Rapid strap at this point. They (rapid strap) are just coming out with a dual configuration too which is a bit more than I want but interests me to some degree.</p>

<p>Well, once again I seem to have misjudged the group and thought I'd see more interest in something like this. Oh well, we've all got our likes and dislikes. Of course we're all speculating about this thing with none of us having actually tried it.</p>

<p>Keith--that strap is interesting and similar to the Cameraslinger and Dual R Strap--however, it definitely will not work for women, since the straps are just at the wrong place for a woman's anatomy.</p>

<p>Robert--I have heard of a couple of cases where even the new clips dropped pro cameras.</p>

<p>At the risk of sounding way too cynical and showing myself up for the non professional that I am....<br>

if you're wearing your camera on a quick release clip whilst walking around a crowded city looking for that winning candid shot, what's to stop some light fingered scrote from swiping your pride and joy off of your belt and having it away on their toes?</p>

<p>At least with a strap they'd have to try and drag you along with it</p>

<p>I didn't read the other responses. I long ago abandoned bags and straps and went with holsters due to many factors and never looked back. I would be hesitant to invest in this product however because the camera is exposed and if there were a slip and fall or even a bump into something damage could ensue. There could be security and damage issues if it not secured fully plus seeing a camera could be more tempting to theives but the same effect is in play with a strap I suppose. A normal holster takes some more time to undo but, yes, its not foolproof. I guess the biggest concern is that a normal holster does protect the camera against many potential hazards that this system doesn't.</p>

<p>Black Rapid Rstraps will drop cameras only if they are not properly fitted on the bottom, happened to me this weekend.<br>

D700, battergrip, 14-24mm, and the SB900 just fell away because the movement of me grabbing at the camera slowly unscrewed the attachment on the base of the camera. Can this be fixed? Not certain with the way the camera strap is set up, but if I keep a steady eye on the attachment, I'm good. Now the question is do I want to have to keep an extra eye on an attachment rather than the bride?</p>

<p>Wow, what a debate this turned out to be!<br>

I don't think I would use the belt clip all the time by any means but I do like the idea for a wedding. I rarely change lens, instead I prefer to just have two camera's. Typically, my BR strap has the workhorse lens, flash and battery rig (btw, I sewed velcro on my strap so thet my battery pack rides on the backside. It's nice because it doesn't weigh down my belt and I can remove all my gear by removing my strap.). My second camera will have no flash... maybe a short 1.8 prime or even the zoom. I like the idea of being able to snap that second camera on my left hip while my main hangs from my BR on the right. Just for the ceremony, mind you. The rest of the time the second camera stays in the case.<br>

As for the BR fail, I've never had a problem but then I don't use the hardware. I keep my tripod mounts on my cameras at all tmes and attach to that. <br>

Hell, even with one camera on the BR it would be nice to snap it to my belt to secure from swing when I need both hands for posing or moving gear..</p>

<p>Errol - I must be misunderstanding your makeshift BR. If you have a regular strap and it's secured at both ends to the camera then when you move the camera from your side to your face the strap would have to rotate around your body with the camera. Unless you have the strap passing through a loop like the BR..</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"..... just fell away because the movement of me grabbing at the camera slowly unscrewed the attachment on the base of the camera."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Daniel, I don't understand how this can happen. The screw threads into the tripod mount, and then there is a tightner that locks it down. I'm trying to imagine how the strap could come unscrewed from the tripod mount because my lock is very tight. Could you explain please?</p>