Sto-Fen Omni-Bounce for Canon 580EX II

pto189

<p>Yesterday, I sent an email to Sto-fen asking about the Omni-Bounce OM-EY that doesn't fit my new 580EX II. Today I received a reply email from Sto-Fen.<br /><br /><strong>Philip,<br />The rubber seals on the 580EXII require you do the following the first few times of use. We did this here in the office on our 580EXII and it works just fine with the OM-EY:<br /><em>Canon 580EXII:</em><br /><em><em>Before installing the Omni for the first time, pull apart on the long sides to allow slipping over the rubber seals running down the sides of the flash head. Then place Omni over the head of flash, with the arched dome to the top, and position with a solid push down with the palm of your hand. To remove the Omni grasp by sides and pull up and off of the flash head.</em></em><br /><em>Ernie</em><br /></strong><br />I believe the cost of this little piece is less than a dollar if It's made from China. They should redesign a new one for the 580EX II instead of telling me to risk my new flash by forcing the Omni Bounce into the flash head. This could increase the chance to break the rubber seal on both sides of the flash.<br />I ended up throwing it into my trash can.</p>

<p>We had no probs with ours, but now prefer the gary fong LS2 for our purpose. generally swap to Omni each night for nightclubs and can really see the diff. the chinese knockoff`s on e**y are not as tight fitting for less than 3$ :) maybe a very light smear of vasaline will help not wearin the seals</p>

<p>I do a lot of diffused flash and fill flash work with the 580exII and own an omni bounce and a Fong, but have always had better results hand holding a translucent white fabric lite disc (not really its intended purpose). The larger surface area and ability to precisely position and angle the diffuser to control the amount of diffusion always gives me better results.<br>

<br /> <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/42082-REG/Photoflex_DL_1112WT_LiteDisc_Circular_Reflector_White.html">link</a></p>

<p>I find that a white card, AKA, a "better bounce card" is more versatile and works better. Most people don't understand that the stofen works mostly by bouncing light back from adjacent walls. I have a stofen somewhere, but I almost never use it.</p>

If you look on ebay, you'll see the Chinese-clone-brigade makes seperate ones for the 580EX and the 580EXII. I have both (and both flashes), and the sizes are significantly different.

I got mine there, and it's a perfect fit. Another case where cheap is better :-)

<p>`I find that a white card, AKA, a "better bounce card" is more versatile and works better. Most people don't understand that the stofen works mostly by bouncing light back from adjacent walls.`</p>

<p>Agree, we don`t use a sto fen without a bounce card on top as most venues we`re in got dark ceilings. Even have a bounce card in back of the Fong for that lil extra forward light ;-]</p>

<p>Well bugger me BJ is right, I just tried a sto fen on my 580EX2 then my 580EX and its a looser fit on the 580EX, yet sto fen list same, I got one off ebay for 430 so now get another for 580 instead of a sto fen :)</p>

I got <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120417042310&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp3907.m38.l1313%26_nkw%3D120417042310%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1">this one</a>.

Size is an excellent fit on the 580 mkII, and the orange one is a perfect match for the Tungsten white-balance on Canon cameras.

As a side note: I seldom use the things anyway. Simply thinking of where you're bouncing gives much better, and more controlled results in most cases. I mostly use it when I'm bouncing in a direction where the reflector card is useless and I want a bit of on-axis light on my subject (for a catchlight, for example), or if I'm doing inside group-shots (spread frontal light with bounced ceiling light), in which case the coloured ones are nice. (orange for tungsten, blue for indirect window light on overcast days).

For the rest, flash gels are more important than expensive tupperware, imho...