Nikon WedNEsDAy PiC #22

jose_angel

<p>Lester Rosebrock's photo is the kind of shot I'm always hoping to get when I photograph people.</p>

<p>Great stuff. These Wednesday Pic threads could be promotional shots from a Nikon catalog. The enthusiasm is infectious, and it shows in the growth and participation since last year.</p>

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p><strong>paul soo Hoo</strong> * This reflective image was taken about 45 min post sunset at Nungurner Bay at the Gippsland Lakes in Victoria Australia. I intended to make a star trail exposure of it but the jetty was lit permanently by a single halogen globe night light thus too much foreground light for a 90 min exposure. </p>

<p>The waters were indeed becalmed whilst I took a series of these longer exposure reflective imaes. I think it was also precisely in between high and low tide so the currents might have been temporarily neutralised thus assisting a 20 second take of floating boats. The image does indeed have a bit of blurry boat detail Need to view it larger to really see the motion blurr but I guess I just was in the right place at the right time.........</p>

<p>What a grand selection of Nikon based photography - long live Wed. pic!!</p>

<p>Carey, at infinity the lens has a minimum aperture of f32, if you reach near 1:1.5 you can close up to f45, and at 1:1, to f64.</p>

<p><i>I suppose</i> this issue is possible because the camera shows the effective aperture instead of the "nominal" of the lens. At 1:1, althought the lens extension is the same on this lens (wonders of the IF design), the effective lens-to-sensor plane distance should be 2x than at infinity. Therefore there will be 2 stops of light loose, and the camera set the metering system accordingly to this.</p>

<p>I finally had a chance this morning to look back at all of the very impressive images that were posted yesterday. It's really amazing how this thread has grown and expanded. It is great to see such enthusiasm.<br>

Thanks to Kerrthi, Dieter and John C. for the nice comments about my tulip.<br>

Jose, I have been wanting the 105 mm micro Nikkor for some time now and your shot as well as others, especially Chris Court's dragonfly, confirms that this is my next lens investment. Your bug and Chris's dragonfly really blew me away!<br>

There are so many other great shots here this week and the temptation is to comment on all of them...but that's not realistic.<br>

Rene', nice grebe!<br>

Matthew, I love the night harbor shot!<br>

Ton, hilarious, they both remind me of John Belushi.<br>

Per-Christian, another excellent 105 shot! I am impressed that it was handheld!<br>

Lil, a truly wonderful IR image with a great oriental mood! I'm sorry about your pet.<br>

Hamish, breathtaking view...so well captured!<br>

Ilkka, really crisp shot of the musicians!<br>

Susan, superb color!<br>

Matt, that eye just draws you in...great focus! <br>

Wayne, nice turkeys!<br>

Bruce, good shot on the fly of the Sistine ceiling, I took one there on film in 1981 with no flash.<br>

Dieter, your plover is priceless...excellent!<br>

Gary, you're the man with the Sigma 10-20 and long exposures! Another beautiful image!<br>

Doug, the Boone County Courthouse is a fantastic shot! I love the colors and the detail.<br>

I agree with Lex about your med school graduation shot, Lester...could be a magazine cover!<br>

Brian, I'm intrigued by the Sigma 150-500. Nice shot! I'd like to hear more about how you like it and see more examples.<br>

Bernard, nice portrait!<br>

Gene, I wish I was on that catamaran!<br>

Thanks again to Jose for hosting this and to Lex for moderating! Looking forward to next Wednesday!<br>

Have a good week!<br>

Dick</p>

<p>Looks okay to me, Eric. I'm seeing the red boat pic with your name on it. You might be experiencing a transient server glitch. I've noticed that a few times as this thread gets more popular. Try clearing your browser cache and refreshing the page.</p>

<p>Richard, thanks. I don't think I should get into the Sigma 150-500 OS here but you can see some things I posted in another thread: <a href="http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00SXC2">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00SXC2</a> (scroll down a bit. Thanks for your interest. Great tulip!</p>

<p>Jose, great bug! I think the shadow on the ground makes the photo.<br>

Martin, nice austire beach house.<br>

Sanford, this was my favorite this week. The tree seems to be setting the bird free.<br>

Ken, World Trade Center? Nice shot.<br>

Paul B, Interesting, with the face in the old building (I hope the place didn't fall down around her)<br>

Another great week everyone!</p>

<p>This is funny! I just woke up, 3:30 am Friday morning and came to see the thread coz I didn't have time yesterday....</p>

<p>Some one stole <strong>Eric's</strong> shot???????? Hahahaha When I saw the landscape shot I thought that was a fake, I mean, not an Eric's original... Maybe I wasn't the only one who thought that! Now after this laugh I won't be able to sleep again! </p>

<p><strong>Jose....</strong> I don't know what creature is that but if I was you I would keep my windows closed! :)</p>

<p><strong>Lil...</strong> Yeah! I never saw them in California. It's funny, the first time I saw those guys was in England but then I came back home and found out there are millions here too. I like that IR shot.... uhmmm! Don't give me any ideas please! I have enough with my own! :)</p>

<p><strong>Simon....</strong> A pleasure to help but I was expecting to see a shot from the AF-S 300 this time! </p>

<p><strong>Richard...</strong> Thanks!</p>

<p><strong>Everybody...</strong> Well, impressive shots. This thread keeps getting better every week. Great work guys! Cheers!</p>

<p>Lil, thanks for the comment, too bad to hear about your pet, nice IR though<br /> <br /> Just an update on favourites:<br /> <br /> Per-Christian, Gert, Sanford, Torben, Dieter nice DOF, Glenn, Gary you are making everybody jealous with your filter, Joseph, brian.<br /> hamish and Chris are my top favourites (AGAIN!!)<br /> See you all next week</p>

<p>"Some one stole <strong>Eric's</strong> shot???????? Hahahaha When I saw the landscape shot I thought that was a fake, I mean, not an Eric's original... Maybe I wasn't the only one who thought that! Now after this laugh I won't be able to sleep again!"</p>

<p>LOL, Rene. Lex assures me it's still there, i just can't see it due to an internal server glitch. i did have to wonder if the photo gods were trying to tell me something about what i should be shooting...</p>

<p>I'm a tad out of it today - serious headache & in La La Land as I call it..... But yesterday I spent a nice day at LA Arboretum with a friend. I have so many friends try to occupy my mind since the loss of Flicka last Friday evening. :-( <br>

Anyhow - special thanks to those who commented on that. Ficka, our last Birman cat was 4 months shy of 18 years old. She was our own breeding & the last of an era. I used to show & breed cats for about 10 years. All to fill my need of pets in my life. She was a sweetheart.<br>

Anyhow - I'm glad to get so much positive feedback on my IR shot. It's one of the first ones I'm really happy with - so<br>

Thank you <strong>Hamish</strong> .<br>

<strong>Per-Christian</strong> , thank you & I'm so sorry for your loss as well. It is so hard to lose them.<br>

Thank you <strong>Hector</strong> . Elg could be Norwegian or Danish. In Swedish it's älg.<br>

<strong>Torben</strong> - conversion - - I'm happy I did one. I will probably do the D300 one day after I've gone on to a potential D400 or such. I already miss the fact that I can't program the D70 to the degree I can the D300 & D700. I should have done the D200 for that fact. But I didn't think about the fact that the D70 doesn't allow for none CPU lens information data....<br>

Thank you's also go to <strong>Dennis, Dave, Keerthi, Chris, Dieter, John, Susan, Glenn, Eric, Fred, Mikhail, Georg, Simon, Richard, Sjoerd & Rene'</strong> on all your kind comments on my early IR shot. I've only had it for a couple of weeks & am finding that I'm enjoying it a lot.<br>

I will come back later when hopefully my headache has given me reprieve & comment on all the wonderful additional photos posted in this thread. It's really great. Oh & I want to mention how a Canon shooter friend is jealous of the fact that we have this positive thread each week here. She thinks its great to have such positive input each week & I know that I look forward to Wednesdays these days.<br>

Great thread everyone....<br>

Lil :-)</p>

<p>rene, lol again. well, they've answered my prayers and made my shot visible on my monitor again. maybe the revelation is to do more 'landscaping'.</p>

<p>but hey, while i'm commenting, have to say i really like todd's shot. reminds me of a crypt from raiders of the lost ark or something. thank you, nikon forum, for another wednesday full of inspiration...</p>