Micro af 105/2.8 d on d700

jukka1

<p>Hi!<br />Have anybody used this combination?<br />Older model of micro nikkor (not vr) with d700?<br />How does autofocus works?<br />What about bokeh, this is only 7-blade version.<br />How does it function to strong backlightning or light coming from side, does it ghost or loose contrast?<br />All other experiences also welcome.<br />Sincerely, Jukka</p>

<p>Jukka,<br>

I have a VR version with the d700. On all versions of a macro lens, the perference is to turn autofocus off if you are using it for macro shot. So, it doesn't matter if you have the non-VR or VR version. You will take a better (in focus) photo if you manually focus these lens.</p>

<p>Haven't used the VR version or a D700, but have used the previous non-VR version for several years on both film and digital cameras. There's tons of writeups and comments on it, in print and on the internet...just do a search. Suffice it to say that most serious users don't use autofocus for macro work, and the lens is excellent in all respects (I also use the Tamron 90/2.8).</p>

<p>I have used it on my D3, the same as a D700 and find the lens excellent.<br>

Some people feel the 105 f2.8 D is sharper than the newer AFS, how ever with the 60mm the new one is better especially at distant focus.<br>

Not just macro but the 105 f2.8D is an excellent portrait lens, it is just an excellent all around lens, you can't go wrong buying this lens.</p>

<p>I have just bought one (a "D" version) to use on my D200. Its without a doubt very sharp at either a distance or at micro ranges. The rendition seems a little cool to me. I cannot comment on the bokeh - although from what I have seen it does not seem as good in this department as say the 180mm f2.8. Although thats not really a criticism as I have seen few lenses with bokeh as good as that. The lens has little distrotion and little vignetting. Overall a very good lens - for any camera.<br>

<a href="http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/223-micro-nikkor-af-105mm-f28-d-review--lab-test-report">http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/223-micro-nikkor-af-105mm-f28-d-review--lab-test-report</a></p>