And I was the only one who didn't get a picture...

<p>I went to a concert this evening featuring a well-known, once popular band. It's been a fews years since thier last album, so the show was held at a small outdoor venue and there were a comfortable number of spectators. The ticket fine print forbid photography or video 'of any kind', so I left my 20D in the car. As the show started, the pocket cameras came out- one, two, fifteen, twenty... I was surrounded by photographers. So, I wandered back to the parking lot, grabbed my camera, swapped my chunky 70-200 for my relatively inconspicuous 50mm, and headed back in. The guard at the door waved me by, but just as I was walking off, I heard "HEY! I can't let you in there with that camera!" I turned and saw a twenty-something staff-type person sizing me up.</p>

<p>"Well, everyone else is taking pictures in there" I replied.</p>

<p>"Yeah, but little cameras."</p>

<p>I guess it's time to buy a point-and-shoot. Or perhaps call ahead for press credentials. Or work on my Jedi mind tricks. "This is a little camera." (waves hand)</p>

<p>Sad, but true. Most of the guards cant turn away all the people with P&S's - they know the show would play for empty houses - and they think P&S's cant give good pictures. (I also wonder whether the artists themselves want all the flashes - that makes them think they are popular ;) )</p>

<p>Seeing a dSLR with a large lens, however, the guards think you are some pro photographer, and that you want to make money selling pics from the concert - and that is revenue lost for the artists.<br>

Buy yourself a nice P&S. If you pull the Jedi trick, the guards will show up in their Darth Vader masks..... ;)</p>

<p>Good luck with that trick John suggested. As an ambitious young reporter in 1981, I got my butt kicked by bouncers while trying to fake my way into a press lineup after a Pretenders show. I soon switched from entertainment reporting to the crime and fire beat. Accompanying cops on a meth lab raid was safer.</p>

<p>Unless you had credentials approved in advance and in writing with names and contact information for important people, don't try to reason with the staff at entertainment venues. It's a waste of time. They're not paid to think, they're paid to enforce rules that are sometimes confusing and contradictory. If necessary, they can and will be very unpleasant to any uncooperative patrons.</p>

<p>If your intention is to take photos rather than enjoy the show like any other patron, get credentials well in advance.</p>

<p>that's the size that make them doing that. "Size matter" remember?. No matter what camera you bring...<br>

Long ago, I once had a picnic in a park. Lot of people near our spot having picnic too, and of course they take pictures with their 35mm reflex (not digital yet). I was fiddling with my new toy, a medium format camera.<br>

well guess what.. someone in a uniform came by and told me that I CAN NOT use it. Why? he said: "because it's a BIG professional camera" and NO professional camera allowed in the park"...<br>

sad mentality.....</p>

<p>Same thing happened to me last night at the Gloria Stefan-Carole King concert. Many people were conspicuously waving their cameras. So I took the 80-400mm lens out of my pocket book. A guard/usher came by to ask if I had a "license", to which I responded that I just wanted a few shots for the memory. I had to to put the camera away. Fortunately, I already captured a few good shots. Are they afraid that people with "professional" equipment would sell the photos?</p>

<p><em>Are they afraid that people with "professional" equipment would sell the photos?</em><br>

Yes, Mary, they fear just that. The artist also want to be in total control over their image (no pun intended), so many photogs have to sign contracts beforehand, in which the artists manager may sort out the bad ones (what THEY think are bad ones), and so on. They don't fear P&S-shooters the same way, because they think that P&S shooters do it for their albums only.</p>

<p>new to the forum, so hi to all. my question is how does one go about asking for a pass to photograph at small venues like clubs and bars that host musicians. whom do you call and ask? booking, club owner\management, or somebody else? whats the best way to present yourself as a photgrapher when asking for permission. im just an amateur and would like them for myself of course. any tips, ideas, that have worked in the past for anybody. from arizona and going to california to a couple of concerts for the same band and would love to be able to bring my camera. thanks.</p>

Quite a few years back, I was out taking some photos of the Statue of Liberty on Liberty Island with my 8x10 view camera. Some park rangers politely asked me what I was doing. I explained that it was simply a hobby and I had no intention of selling any photos. That was fine with them and they left me to go about taking photos.
James G. Dainis

<p>Tony, welcome to the forum!<br>

If it is a small club, I'd start asking the club manager whether the musicians have any manager, or what he would suggest you do. I'd think the club manager would welcome a photographer, but there may be some clauses in the contract regulating this. If so, then you have to contact the manager of the musicians if they have one, or the musicians themselves.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Or perhaps call ahead for press credentials.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Are you aware that most of us who shoot these events on a press pass are restricted to shooting just the first three, or sometimes the first two, songs? </p>

<blockquote>

<p>how does one go about asking for a pass to photograph at small venues like clubs and bars that host musicians</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Small clubs and bars rarely care who shoots what. Just ask the band once you get there. I've never been turned down.</p>

<p>"whats the best way to present yourself as a photgrapher when asking for permission?" Politely, in advance. A phone call, followed by a personal visit before the event starts will usually do it. A business license can be a great help; once they see you are a taxpaying, serious photographer; ironically, this helps. Anything that speaks to intelligence and responsible conduct can help with the advance legwork. </p>

<p>Still, I find it helps to proceed with confidence! If you exude positive confidence and some resilience, this will frequently deter anyone who's trying to bluff you down. Act like you're John Glenn's character in <i>The Right Stuff</i>, and people will be stupefied into silence. Don't apologize for your work or interests; don't take the first brush-off or dismissals. Once, I would have been turned back at a gate, when someone inside was waiting for me. You're reasons for being there are as good as anyone else's. Being happy, positive, and confident promotes support from people around you. </p>

<p>So I guess I could put my Pen F body, wraped in a plastic in a large sandwich (as in Hitchcock's movie "Topaz"). Secrete the 100 f3.5 in a inside vest pocket, and then, once inside go to work with this small camera, Tri-X in Diafine of course. Well, small but a loud little beast.</p>

<p><< "whats the best way to present yourself as a photgrapher when asking for permission?" Politely, in advance. A phone call, followed by a personal visit before the event starts will usually do it. >></p>

<p>Oh this reminds me of an incident last year. A friend in NYC happened to sing in a concert hall at Carnegie and she asked me to take pictures. When I got there, I was told that I needed to see some manager. When I got to talk with that individual, he told me "sorry, we already have someone to cover the event". It turned out that they had identified someone asked by the harpist, and they only allowed one photographer to cover a concert. After the event, when the harpist realized that my friend (also conductor of the group) had asked me to do it, she was very apologetic. But that was OK. She did not know that the rules were so strict. It was quite comical though; the "assigned photographer" shot with a Rollei Twin Reflex. Not sure how the pictures came out. LOL!</p>

<p>If they used a Rolleiflex TLR, they probably turned out great. I can't imagine a camera w/ a better lens, and the lower angle of view would give more interest to the shots. Besides, as we all know, a good photographer could use a P&S camera and get professional results.</p>

<p>wow guys thanks for the great and polite advice. in no way am i trying to pass myself off as a pro and dont want to offend those who have worked hard to achieve press credentials and do this for a living. just a fan of the band and have placed an email to the booking manager with a call to follow up in a few days. hopefully my request is granted and there is a pro assigned to the event who can help me out with some tips. by the way its a reggae concert and im not trying to imply anything but any tips on shooting with smoke clouding the air if any of their previous concerts are an indicator of things to come.</p>

<p>last time i was at their concert i was maybe 10-12 feet away from the stage off to the side and with a clear view. have always been able to get up close, reggae concerts are very friendly. from what i gather maybe a 17-55 f/2.8 nikon lens or similar prime lens. my downfall is i only have the d60 to work with and will the 17-55 not autofocus on it? open to suggestions as i will be renting the lens for the week to get accustomed before i go. thanks again.</p>

<p>Boy I feel the pain of everybody who has been turned away from taking pictures at an event with a slr. Its happened to me at my daughters cheerleading competitions, and at some High School Football games. Makes no sense to me. If you are at a big venue and your sitting in the nose bleeds how good will your pictures really be?<br>

Most concerts are really low light and people move and dance around its just a recipe for disaster. I just wish the event security would see it that way.</p>