EXIF data

jainamishra

<p>As a learner, I want to analyse some of the images put up here, to try and re-create such shots using the same settings.<br>

For this I'd like to see the EXIF data on their images.<br>

I thought I could see it in the 'details' of the image ........but its not there.<br>

Please help.<br>

Thanks <br>

Jaina Mishra</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Hi Jaina,<br>

When exporting photos for publishing on the Web, people often choose to strip them of any EXIF data. There are 2 possible reasons that I can think of: either because they don't want to share their secrets, or because they want to share the truth that hardware, lens and technicalities are unimportant to viewers and obstruct their perception of the picture's merits.</p>

<p>Some software does it automatically. Photoshop strips EXIF if you do a "Save for Web." Jalbum, which I use for creating galleries, removes EXIF with some skins unless you go in and change some settings. </p>

<p>I don't think having EXIF will help anyone re-create good images though. Most come from an understanding of light, people and other subject matter, post-processing capabilities. The camera settings are relatively simple and can be figured out.</p>

<p>As a beginner myself, I have learned alot about ISO settings, Apeture, and Shutter speed just by studying the EXIF data of my bad shots compared to the good ones. Occasionally when back out in the field, I try to remember the mistakes I made by shooting too fast and taking a few extra seconds to adjust some settings.</p>

<p>Jaina, for those photos which have not been stripped of their EXIF data, you can use <a href="http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/">EXIFTool</a> or a number of other applications specifically designed for retrieving it. Just download/install it, right click on the image in question, view with EXIFTool, and if the data is there, you'll see it. I've found it very useful.</p>

<p>Thanks Adam, Jeff & kevin,<br>

John, thats exactly what I would liek to do - to study and try and recreate at least the technicals. The problem comes up with difficult shots - and learning from someone else's work is a great start. Otherwise re-inventing the wheel takes a long time - and sometimes the wheel doesn't even GET invented in the end !<br>

William - I have asked ......am hoping to get my answer.<br>

The trouble is that even on some of my own pictures the data isn't 'visible' though I don't know what I have done to make it visible or invisible !!<br>

Jaina</p>

<p> </p>