Bride shopping for discounts

idobelieve

<p>Thank you so much for all of your feedback. Obviously, this is a topic that we all have a strong interest in with times being tough.</p>

<p>I did not agree to a 15% discount. Instead, I custom built a package for her that comes out about the same price as she would pay for 15% off my biggest package. I also threw in a free engagement, day after or rehearsal session. She is getting most of what she wants for the price she is after and I threw in a perk if she's just after getting something for nothing. I feel like I have given a little but she is not just be getting a discount because she asked for one. Regardless of how it all turns out, I feel good about my offer.</p>

<p>I responded to my client before many of you added your ideas. After reading through everything I have a lot to think about. You have presented so many great approaches. I think I will be revisiting and studying this thread many times as I work out the kinks of my business. It is definitely the business and sales part of the job that is the hardest to keep on top of. Thank you for your ideas and I welcome any more feedback on the topic.</p>

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Michelle, you've gotten some good feedback here, but it really comes down to how flexible you want/need to be. If you're hungry for the work, you could do as you've said. Or, you could simply say to the bride something to the effect of, "I could perhaps rework my package for you if money is a major issue for you, but think about this...My brides tend to pick me, not because I offer the lowest prices, but because they simply love my work, and the images I create for them. They also pick me because my personality and working style suits them better. They see what I do for other brides. Their decision goes beyond a better price, it goes to the heart and soul of all the things I do for them. I'd love to capture your special day, and I'm sure you can appreciate the value of my work." Then, see what they say to that.</p>

<p>Now, the reality is that brides may pick you mostly because of price or package options, but by couching the decision in this way, you get them to thinking beyond the scope of money, and bringing it more into the emotional realm of the quality of your work. There are tons of folks who will beat you on price/package every time out there, but with women, these decisions tend to be more emotionally based, and if you hit all the right emotional buttons with them, they'll pick you most every time.</p>

<p>Andy---<br /> Photography is not like selling a car. Items where you go talk to a salesman have been marked up to make the best possible amount of money for the product. You cant easily go to a maid service and haggle the price and you can't call up comcast and haggle with them (at least not normally or easily). What we're offering is a service. A service that we've priced according to the time and work we put into it and the quality of that work. When 95% of the brides who contact us are completely willing to pay the (reasonable) prices that we ask for why should we lower our prices for anyone else? How is that fair to the brides who paid full price? Not only that but when you are a well sought after photographer it's usually very easy to book a date if the price shopper doesn't. We don't have a need to lower our prices if someone contacts us for a date over a year from now. If it were next week that'd be one thing. Go into a restaurant some time and try haggling for cheaper food. Service products are much different in sales than item products like cars and jewelry. We're not working on commission here, we're working to pay for our lives and future retirement and this is our full time career.</p>

<p>Cathy and David,<br>

As always - well said.<br>

Regarding your comment about a short-notice wedding, I have a coverage that I don't openly market. It's a smaller coverage, but with nice profit, but it's ONLY available within 60 days of a date. I keep it in my back pocket for 2 special circumstances. <br>

If someone comes to see with short notice, I'll offer it to them if I want to fill the date and I see they're not biting on my regular coverages -OR- I'll offer it to someone who's looking at an off-season date, even if it's far away. There are usually one of two reactions. They will wait until the 60 days OR they will decide that it's better to book me on the spot at a regular coverage because they're afraid of losing the date with me.<br>

I decided against putting it on my price list because it's not what I want to book regularly, it's just a way to fill some dates with shorter coverage and less product, but still a decent profit....-Aimee </p>

<p>Always a good idea, Aimee. Usually though, I find that people who are booking their wedding only 60 days away aren't worth the trouble, so I'll charge regular rates! I would say 90% of our brides book us 1 year + in advance and more often than not book us before anything else because it's whats most important. Ocassionally though we'll get a last minute awesome bride. But I find them rare.. :)</p>

• 3 weeks later...