Becoming hard to satisfy....

<p>I'm a amateur begginer, (just two years since I touched my first camera). In my first year, I felt amazed by lots of images (even my own ones), but that has been changing in the last year, so now I have become very very very hard to satisfy. I use to watch lots of pics, and in the last year I think there only about 50 pics I felt I really liked (not anyone of mine sure :-)<br>

I think it all comes from my growing learning, and my own personality, as now I have much more elements to handle when I watch a pic, and I have always been very demanding in my targets . <br>

So now, I have high standards, wich make me filter a lot my own pics, and only very few get to my public gallery. And so, as my standards grow, also the "quality" of my pics, and my insatisfaction....<br>

Is it this what happens to others or am I a frikie out of control?</p>

<p>no way jose, this happens to all of us. it is important to work out where you want to be. i took a look at your gallery and it appears that you are trying to create wonderfully vivid and colourful images that comprise of single subjects. the pictures were correctly exposed and well framed. where do you want to be? your finished product appears to be well presented, however, the themes are a little conservative. one aspect of developing as an amateur is to test yourself in new waters. that is, if you wish to develop into a semi-pro and sell a few prints.<br>

personally, i don't aspire to that level. i 'seriously' touched a camera around september 2006. since then i have gone through a few different systems in films and digital. what i own now and use regularly is more geared towards expressing a need to test the equipment that i already have, rather than any higher purpose. so i am still in the process of working out my best lens. i think that in itself is important. so work out the best combination of so called elements you alluded to above. then keep on shooting. if you wish to really perfect your skills, keep on shooting the same subject until you have exhausted all possibilities, and then shoot the same subject some more! i find that the more you learn about a particular setting or subject, the better the photographs get. after that, use your best body and lens combination to capture it for good. then move on to something else!<br>

you need to decide what the next stage might be. i personally think that with your eye for colours, landscape and architecture might well suit your interest. both these genres should provide you with enough challenges for a year or two to master. then travel and shoot some more. once you have some publishable pictures, come back and show them to us. i am sure more advice would follow suit!</p>

<p>I'd go further and say that this is a cycle that repeats itself as you gain confidence and skill, learn to be more critical.<br>

It's a well-known phenomenon among wordsmiths and other artists as well.</p>

<p>I think yours is a common learning curve. The pendulum has swung where you love everything to where you love only a few. Now you need to find the happy middle ground. I too am looking for that happy middle ground</p>

<p>What a relief! Really thought it was something wrong in me, as this hobby is intended to get satisfaction. Starvy, I agree about what you say. That's the approach I am following! <br>

Thanks all for your comments!</p>

<p>This is great to read, thanks for posting this Jose! I too am struck by this and I feel David hit the nail on the head: "<em>The pendulum has swung where you love everything to where you love only a few. Now you need to find the happy middle ground</em> "<br>

I'm even finding myself not shooting that much since I'm getting all sorts of picky about the light, location, subjects etc.... I think I needed a bastard slap across the face!</p>

<p>The broader challenge is when you will present your photos for purchase, publication or competition. In this practice over the years I've sometimes found my most beloved images rejected or criticized by others, and other images that I thought to be mediocre making the sales in publications and being chosen for awards in competitions. Juging the merits of images is a very subjective process. All who view have been conditioned by their own experiences as well as the influence of others. Most importantly, I say enjoy!</p>

<p>I always revisit my images and downgrade or remove some from the website, etc. As you hone your skills you begin to replace early shots with better ones. Part of that also comes from having others rate or comment on your work.</p>

<p>It also helps when you work as a photographer for a living, in that shoot one way or style in your day job - same thing, over and over, and then shoot to your own hearts desire outside of it.</p>

<p>When you get to the point that you've done it all, then you may want to think about doing a special project, series, or a book. Taking it one step further. Something to think about.</p>