D-Lux 4

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Thanks to all of you, especially since I get more reactions than I expected. Makes my choiche easier AND harder for sure.</p>

<p>Joe, of course I remember. Was in Amsterdam myself during the day. Watch your e-mail.</p>

<p>Ray, you're not making this any easier ;-) I had a quick look at the <a href="http://sigma-dp.com/DP2/index.html">Sigma DP2</a> and it sure looks promising. At 41 mm it looks like a handy camera for streetwork as well. However, given the fact that each image takes 3 pixels the MP needs to be divided by 3. Wonder how that translates in larger prints. Also the lens is a big question mark for me. You know a bit more?</p>

<p>Just got back from shooting and took my wife's P5100 with me. Here are some of the worked on JPEG's. Doesn't look half bad but somewhat larger prints, forget it.</p>

<p> </p><div>00TOTn-135651584.thumb.jpg.953b0e5e18fd381454fe752b7c9cf3f5.jpg</div>

<p>Ton, the Sigma DP1 has a 28mm equivalent fixed lens, the DP2 41mm. The main issue with the DP1 is slow RAW processing, so after a shot forget about another exposure for several seconds. The DP2 is supposed to have a faster write time, but I haven't seen a full review on it. I've never used autofocus on the DP1- there is manual focus with a numbered distance dial on the back of the camera that works fine for me and avoids shutter delay. The camera works well as a point & shoot and better with an added external viewfinder. I assume with the DP2 41mm equivalent you'd definitely need a finder in bright light, and manual focus would be more difficult because of less depth of field. Color and black and white conversions are excellent with the DP1 although color washes out a bit at higher ISO's. The camera has limitations in handling but you won't find better image quality in a compact. Sean Reid has a good review of the DP1. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks Ray. As it happens the DP2 is launched over here tomorrow, talk about timing. I was planning to have a look next weekend anyway so it's one more to check out. Thanks for that, appreciate it. A lot. Either way, I´m not gonna use either one without a viewfinder.</p>

<p>Just saw the price of the DP2. List is going to be € 599,00 which is $ 811,00. Not too bad.</p>

<p>Ton,<br>

I am similarly in the market. My list is narrowed down to the D-Lux 4, the DP2 and the Canon G10. I will be curious to hear what you ultimately select, and then to hear your impressions on its use after you shoot with it for a bit.<br>

The person in me who hates to buy outdated technology wonders if I should wait until September to see what new will be coming out, and to get more hands on reviews from owners of the DP2.<br>

Good luck with whatever you buy!<br>

Best,<br>

Bruce</p>

<p>Bruce - I was deciding between those same three cameras and ended up buying a panasonic LX3 a few weeks ago. <br>

I've been very happy with it so far. This is my first camera with image stabilization, and I've been very impressed with the results at 24mm-e, f/2, 1/8th second. Subject motion aside, that's let me take pictures in very dim surroundings with good results. <br>

Photos in good light are great too. For me, it came down to the size (the G10 isn't really pocketable), lens speed (f/2 lets me avoid the noisy high-isos), wide angle (having 24mm-e is really great for indoor, macro, and landscapes). <br>

If your priorities are different, your mileage may vary. I think the image quality is good (but not fantastic) from either the g10 or D-LUX 4 (LX3). From samples I've seen, the DP2 produces better files, but you lose the flexibilty of a zoom, if that's important to you.<br>

I don't own a dedicated video camera, so the video capabilities of the D-DUX4 were also a selling point. I don't use the video that often, but it's nice to have for the occasional family scene. The videos from the D-LUX 4 are a lot better than the g10, and WAY better than the DP2.</p>

<p>I took the LX3 with me on a recent holiday and used it everyday. It certainly replaces a high end film compact for me, say a T2 or T3, and a major advantage is that it is unobstrusive and you don't stand out. Best results from raw but jpegs are up to scratch as well. Output is more film like than digital.<br>

All shots here taken with lx3<br>

<a href="http://www.parowe.com/f620516473">http://www.parowe.com/f620516473</a></p>

<p> </p>

<p>I had the same dilemna and i went with the D-Lux 4. There is different software and a longer warranty with the Leica. So it is a bit more than a red dot, but not a tremendous amount. I also do like the Leica finish bit more.</p>

<p>However, the current big difference is that availablity of the Panasonic is non-existant. Sure it says $460 at B&H,which is $240 less than the Leica, but they are out of stock. Same with Adorama and every other reputable dealer that I know of.</p>

<p>It's available over Amazon... for $639, the same price as the D-Lux4.</p>

<p>Since obtaining my D-Lux 4 I've used both of my Olympus flashes on it. An FL-50 (which is huge compared to the camera) and a much smaller FL-36R. Both operate fully, as in the built in flash head zooms in and out with the lens. Read somewhere that Panasonic makes the flash units for Olympus, thus it makes sense that it should work on a 'Panasonic' camera.</p>

<p>Aaron,<br>

Thanks for your input, and for sharing your experience with the LX-3.<br>

I have a Nikon D200, which I use when getting the best quality is the issue. I do always like to have a P&S too for those times when I do not want to lug the D200 around, or don't want to get it out of the camera bag for a shot. There are also those times when my wife can put up with my taking shots with a P&S, like at dinner in a restaurant, when she does not like the D200 being a guest at the table. We cycle year round, and the P&S is a lot easier to quickly take out and put away than is the D200 in a Lowepro backpack I use when we ride.<br>

I did take a walk today at lunch and held and tried the D-Lux 4, and talked with the sales people about it and the LX-3, and also about the G-10. They mentioned the warranty difference, a reference to the images on the Leica being better than those from the Panasonic, and the image processing in the Leica being better than the Panasonic. As for the G10, they confirmed what I had read that Canon just crammed too many megapixels on to the small sensor in that camera, so its images were not perceived to be as good.<br>

I do need to think about the fixed focal length, versus zoom lens issue. That might make the DP2 a no go for me. I know that when I have used a P&S in the past, I have always used the zoom in composing my shots. While there are many instances when you can "zoom' with your feet, there are others when a zoom is needed - such as in street photoraphy when you don't want to get completely in someone's face.<br>

I do own a dedicated video camera, but only seem to get it out when I am with my granddaughter. I rarely used the video feature on my Canon SD850 IS (which I gave to my son in March), and when I have after transferring the files to my computer, rarely ever go back to look at, or use them.<br>

So, for me, being able to shoot in RAW, the best possible sensor for a cameras of this size, having as much manual control as possible, and as little start up time and shutter lag as possible are the primary drivers for me. What I would really love is an advance P&S with at least an APS-C sized sensor, and better yet, with a full frame 24 x36 sensor. Maybe someday?<br>

I will look forward to hearing Ton how you come out on your decision, and to then hear about, and see the quality of the images you get and your experience with your choice.<br>

Thanks to all,<br>

Bruce</p>

<p>I thought it would be nice for LX3/D-lux4 to have a variangle LCD screen to make it easy to shoot overhead and at the waist levels. However, the ad says that their screens can be viewed from extreme angles. For those who own one of these cameras, do you miss the lack of a variangle screen?</p>

<p>DPreview.com has a side by side comparison feature that is quite helpful when comparing specs of different cameras. I just did one for the D-LUX 4, LX3, G10 and DP2. Not sure if this link will work, but this is the link that resulted from my comparison: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_g10%2Cleica_dlux4%2Cpanasonic_dmclx3%2Csigma_dp2&show=all</p>

<p>I have had the LX3 for several months. This is a brilliant little camera, beautifully made, and as far as I can tell the same as the DLux4 apart from price. It will become a classic like the Fuji F30. The 24-60mm f2.0 lens gives a very usable range and is wide than any other available I believe. I shoot RAW all the time and this is fine with ACR 5.2. The screen is hard to see in bright light and I use the excellent Voigtlander 21mm v/f which seems to approximate well to the 24mm field of view (I have not tried using a Voigtlander 24 v/f) and is much cheaper than the Panasonic version. Great as a street camera. Both pix of Covent Garden have been printed at 10x17 inches.</p><div>00TP22-135927584.jpg.80367f579b5e1e55baf37be675d5a528.jpg</div>

<p>and another. Forgot to mention that there is a difference between the Dlux4 and LX3 which in my view favours the LX3 - the latter has an integral handgrip which adds greatly to the ergonomics. It does however mean that the LX3 will not fit in the pretty DLux4 case.</p><div>00TP29-135927684.jpg.273cd7ed4390f9bf38ee0f1b22b7b17b.jpg</div>

<p>"The 24-60mm f2.0 lens gives a very usable range and is wide than any other available I believe."</p>

<p>Ricoh GRD with adapter sold as an accessory is 21mm equivalent.</p>

<p>Any of these point & shoot cameras is fine for computer / internet screen display, it's when you get into printing that I think the Sigma would make a fairly significant difference for a discerning photographer.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>only used the variable angle feature less then ten times.</p>

<p> </p>

</blockquote>

<p>I still keep my old Nikon 5400 b/c it has the variable angle screen, which I use frequently. I use it to aim the camera one way while facing the other to take picture of people without having them notice me. I can shoot overhead over the crowd, objects on the ground, etc. I can set up the camera on a small tripod on any object and can still find an angle to frame the shot. I did order the LX3, however, as I image the compact size of the LX3 will come with compromises.</p>

<p>thanks again for all your input which I very much appreciate. Was my original question/quest about the D-Lux4/LX I'm definetely going to have a look at the Sigma DP2 that Ray advised. The plan was to check them out Saturday. That will now depend on the availability of the DP2. Thanks as well for the advice on the Voigtlander viewfinder. Hadn't thought of that.</p>

<p>Will supply feedback in due course.</p>

<p>Happy shooting to all of you,<br /> Ton</p>