K7, the "me too" camera...

renato_aranghelovici

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p >Miserere Mei wrote:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Geoff, the K-7 was not called "K30D" because it's a new concept for a camera. The specs are an improvement over the K30D, but the body is very different.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Mis, looks like you've bought into the marketing speak. "Very different" body? No, some controls are moved around, some missing -- no bracket button but we have an info button. To change focal points we now must hold down a second button. Green button moved. The body is tweaked and maybe for the worse. But not a radical change either way.</p>

<p>"New concept"? Where? I must have missed it. Looks like feature catch-up to me, which is super good for everyone who wants more features and boring for those who want a better photographic tool. Yep, this should have been the K30D.</p>

<p>I'm still waiting for the new concept camera. Maybe Samsung or Fuji or Epson or someone will deliver it first.</p>

<p>Robin P, the "new concept" might be the fantasized mini 4/3 Olympus (see the Oly-4/3 Forum)...better ergonomics (maybe) than Panasonic GH1, pocket sized assuming pancake lens. IF it materializes it'll beat Sigma DP1/2 at its game.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Thanks for the inside intelligence, Rich. Now please go back to the Sony forums and spread some misinformation. Tell them the Pentax forum is not filled with a bunch of whiney babies and that we're all really ecstatic with the new camera and cannot wait to put in our orders. Tell them we're banging at the doors of Pentax Colorado so we don't have to wait 24 hours to buy the new camera.<br>

Or you can tell them the truth: The we're a big bunch of morons and that a few weeks from now we'll all be defending what a ground-breaking camera the K-7 really is :-)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>LOL! I think both sides of the story are relevent :P</p>

<p>Robin: <em>New concept</em> is a camera with high-end features in a compact body. It used to be that if you wanted a small camera you had to buy the K2000...and live with its reduced feature set. Justin, myself and others have been asking for a small fully-spec'd body for a long time. A lot of people agree; a lot of people don't agree.</p>

<p>The green button is still there, "Directly Under the Rear Wheel". Some people will like the new position, others won't, the same way some liked the older location while others didn't. Personally, I would have prefered the AF button to be in the place the green button occupies now, but that's life. Same for all other gripes: Some people will be pleased WB has its own dedicated button while others will be annoyed that changing focus points now requires an extra button push. You can't please everyone, Robin.</p>

<p>Hi folks, what a nice surprise this K7 is!<br>

Looking through the previous posts, there are lots of arguments on whether this K7 is something which we all want. Those already owning a K20D seem to be "neutral", those with a K10D seem more likely to "want" the K7.<br>

Personally, I would love having a faster AF, faster shutter speed, a better viewfinder, faster continuous shooting modes and better weather-resistant features. Pentax has also finally got rid of that SR switch (which has been a scourge for me several times!) and made it accessible from withing the camera. Better rear monitor too. All that is great.<br>

Now, I don't need/want a "camescope" (read: video camera). I am also surprised to see that the batteries are now different from what we are used to with the previous models. Couldn't they come up with the same format/size with more power? Not sure but that would have been nice.<br>

That said, this new baby would certainly find a good home here in spite of the "personally-useless" video thing. But when the price starts dropping, in about six months time, I am sure I will get the itch! No kidding, this K7 has great features which would surely make my life a little easier when going out to photo-shoot birds and other sorts of wildlife creatures! For the moment, I am happy with the K10/K20D's and I will "soon" be able to test one or at least read soon-to-come comments from those here acquiring it. Frankly, I can hardly wait to see some reviews from Photo.Net members.<br>

One thing I was wondering (remember ... I am not a teckie): the Sensor Aspect Ratio of 3:2 ... how does that really compare to the existing K20D sensor in terms of "magnification"? We presently have a 1.5X magnification with the K20D sensor, so when we shoot at 300mm, doesn't that give us the equivalent of a 450mm focal length? If the magnification is now reduced to a 3:2 ratio, will the pics be "better" and compensate for the difference? <br>

OK, so that is all for now ... I am going to keep reding this thread until it runs out! (which is likely to take months).<br>

Cheers to all and have a great day.<br>

JP</p>

<p >Miserere Mei wrote:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Robin: <em>New concept</em> is a camera with high-end features in a compact body.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Oh is that all? So all that hype about "soul" and a camera for photographers was just a smokescreen for a body not even as compact as previous Pentax models? That's not a <strong>new concept</strong> to me. Guess I was expecting Pentax to be different.</p>

<p>Ah well, I'm sure it'll be a nice camera just the same. Though with Pentax hiking their prices skyward I won't ever be able to buy one.</p>

<p>Robin, why don't we go have a beer after work and chill out? :-)</p>

<p>Jacques, the K-7 sensor is the same size as on the K20D, and on all other Pentax DSLRs, for that matter: 16x24.5mm. So the crop factor is still 1.5x. 3:2 refers to the aspect ratio of the sensor and has nothing to do with it's physical size. A full frame DSLR with a 24x36mm sensor also has an aspect ratio of 3:2.</p>

<p>Robin, worry not, here are the latest specs...</p>

<p>

<table border="1" cellspacing="2" cellpadding="2">

<tbody>

<tr>

<td>Dedicated AF Button:<br /></td>

<td>Yes<br /></td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td>Dedicated AF Point Selector:<br /></td>

<td>Yes. Central, Auto and User Select<br /></td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td>Built-in Flash (RTF):<br /></td>

<td>Yes. Manual Pop-Up<br /></td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td>Built-in AF Assist Light:<br /></td>

<td>Yes</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td>Soul:<br /></td>

<td>Yes. (To be set via Custom Function)<br /></td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Jacques, the aspect ratio is what we have been used to, as with 35mm film. It is the image shape. Width is 3x of the factor that hight is 2x of. What you are referring to in the 1.53x conversion is the difference in image circle size of the sensor, which will be the same as before.</p>

<p>I am with Jacques in being positive, and I think Mis hit the nail on the head, understanding the size difference being at the root of this new concept. And it is a metal-body design, compact, and having video capability. Then it comes out with WR kit lenses(!). On top of that, its high-quality/smaller size complements the unique attributes of the fine Limited series lenses. All taken together can be seen as a unique concept. </p>

<p>For Pentax, I see it as an advanced state of an old new concept. The *ist-D was the K7's grandfather, and the MZ-S the great-grandfather. The MZ-S remains the most compact metal-body pro-style 35mm film SLR design ever. When I go about with that camera, especially with say the 43mm Limited lens on it, and shoved into a large coat pocket, one can look across brands and find nothing else comparable. It was designated an MZ because it was part of the compact MZ design concept begun with the MZ-5. </p>

<p>The same will be true with the K7. Going about with this metal-body, weather-sealed advanced design with either a 43mm or say a 21mm Limited on it, and shoved into a large coat pocket, there will be nothing else truly comparable. Same also if having a WR kit lens! I think it is a very cool concept and I can understand why it would cause a stir in other camps.</p>

<p>And yes, I too will sometimes find the video useful and fun. For instance, when I took shots of the fast-moving ice flow in March, I could also have gotten some clips of it in motion, and even the crunching and grinding sounds! </p>

<p>Due to the compact design aspect and metal construction, it is NOT a K30D. Just as the MZ-S is NOT a PZ-2, even though it has power zoom function. A K30D would be an upgraded K20D, of similar size, design, and build type. </p>

<p>it's probably unwise to get excited over any companies marketing hype... they're supposed to try and get your attention and will do anything short of outright lies to get it.<br>

that being said, I'm excited for the possibly false specs we've seen.<br>

Smaller with two wheels, AF assist, and hopefully faster lowlight AF and a better viewfinder were all I was hoping for.<br>

hopefully the viewfinder is 92% coverage and 1x magnification instead of the other way around=)</p>

<p>for those of us with kids and grand kids, the video is a really neat feature. The video is the reason I have bridge and point and shoots. For those who want to become journalist, Video is as much if not more of a requirement than still photos are these days, with u-tube and all...</p>

<p>A nice gentleman from Norway was kind enough to create <a href="http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/pentax-news-rumors/34870d1242678427-k7-size-comparisons-k7vspentax.jpg">this size comparison</a> between the K20D, K-7 and K200D. See other comparisons with Nikon, Canon and Olympus cameras <a href="http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/60640-k7-size-comparisons.html">here</a> .</p>

<p>Seems to me that this is exactly how my dealer described it to be a couple of weeks ago. Imagine a K20D, keep the sensor and refine everything else. So its a bit smaller, its gets kudos because its now magnesium, slightly better viewfinder (which may be the most significant improvement to many), improved AF (again this is arguably a wanted upgrade fro many), push the speed up for the machine gunners amongst us, bring the lcd at the back to current class levels and add the all important WB button for the magazines and review sites. I'll be keeping my K20D a while yet ;-), at least until I get an 85 A* F1.4 and maybe the 31 Ltd. <br>

But...<br>

It does look like a lovely camera, maybe I could still be tempted around Christmas time :-) </p>

<p>There are only a few more hours left before Pentax takes the veil off :-D</p>

<p>I am seeing this as a possible future upgrade from my K100D - not that I don't absolutely love the performance and small file sizes my K100D delivers, it is at some point there will be good SDM-only lenses which I shall be lusting over but unable to use with my current body. And a hundred other factors including more manual controls and a newer CMOS sensor :-)</p>

<p>However price is a big factor for me. I don't think this will be cheap. On the other hand I am not in a hurry to buy another body, I just know that any body which won't take my 35mm Limited is not going on any wishlist of mine - a bit irrational I know, choosing a body based on the lenses.... oh wait that's why I bought Pentax :D</p>