K7, the "me too" camera...

renato_aranghelovici

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>I agree in many ways with the OP.</p>

<p>I like Pentax, both the lenses and the K20D. However, Pentax are in several fundamental & basic ways anywhere from 12-24 months behind Nikon & Canon. The three obvious examples being af speed, processing speed and rear LCD size/pixels....even the Canon 40D is very much ahead of the K20D...and the K-7 may not even match the 40D in af speed etc.</p>

<p>This new camera in many ways is just keeping up with competitors models released over a year ago, or more.</p>

<p>I too, along with Javier REALLY wanted a larger VF, but although the VF has gone up to 100%, the more important item, the VF magnification has actually reduced! This is very disapointing to me. The end result will be a VF that is no different to use than the K20D. If Olympus can manage a VF mag of 1.15X with the E-3, then I was hoping for Pentax to at least manage 1.0X....even if the pentaprism has to be that little bit larger.</p>

<p>cheers Steve.M.</p>

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I am looking forward to this camera. The fact that it can shoot video as well stills. I was looking for a video camera that would shoot decent stills. That was a disapointment. Now a top of the line still camera that can shoot decent video that will be a break through.<br>

What is missing in the video market is decent lenses that are affordable. If the video quality is there this is a twofer. Looking forward to some real life testing.</p>

<p>I just want to know what the price tag is going to be! Does anyone know?</p>

<p>I am debating... Should I buy the new aka Pentax K7D or soon to be old stock Pentax K20D? The price will make a huge difference in swaying me.</p>

<p>Mike</p>

<p>Michael, nobody knows for sure, but expect the release price of the K-7 to be $1,300-1,500. The K20D was released around March 2008 for $1,300 and is now closer to $700. If you want a camera right now, and price is a concern, then go for a K20D.</p>

<p>What I am looking forward to is a very high-caliber, extremely well-built metal body in a compact, pouch/big-pocket carrying form. And having advanced features with advanced controls, and even decent video-capable. That is the new concept.</p>

<p>I don't believe a difference in VF magnification between 92% and 95% will be noticeable. The $1,800 Nikon D300 VF magnification is 94%. As I said, often the magnification is limited some to accomodate VF info, which otherwise would require moving the eye around to see all of it, especially if wearing glasses.</p>

<p>Yes, I would welcome the 1/250 sec standard flash sync. Although that would be better, it is less important for me since I can boost it a little with HS mode without losing much distance range, so the 1/180 sec is generally adequate for most of my needs. I would also like to see optional switch to standard TTL instead of P-TTL only. The swing out screen would be welcome only if it does not increase bulk and weight. The introductory price, if true, seems quite fair for alll that it is, in a most unique form of a metal compact body.</p>

<p>With a new version of the Samsung sensor, new metering, new faster AF, now we will have to see how it will compare in terms of performance and IQ!!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Nothing to get all that excited about, I guess - hey, it's another new DSLR... :) - but OK, I like it. Feature-wise, it would make for a decent upgrade from my K100D/K200D cams, without the rather irritating (to me...) size penalty of the K20D. And on a fairly superficial note, I much prefer the more angular styling to that of the existing blob-like Pentax DSLR offerings...</p>

<p>But... :) I ain't payin' 1000€ or more for any DSLR... And I'm in no great rush to buy a new one, so I'll be waiting 'til this thing comes down in price. Let's see how quickly those all-important numbers come down... :)</p>

<p> </p>

<p>For whoever queried my criticism of the 'disabled' video capability..........;<br>

I would like to use twin camera mikes to supply stereo sound for use in covering stage drama, as i curently do with SVHS/DV camcorders but this camera is less than useless for this as there is mono only sound capture.....</p>

<p>The Panasonic GH1 will knock this into acocked hat as it launches imminently and has full HD video capability with stereo sound and video configured zoom lens. Image quality will be equal enough to be indistinguishable.</p>

<p>Pentax is going away if they can't do better than this.........this is not the time to let the cat out of the bag a hair at a time......</p>

<p> </p>

<p>This reminds me of the lead up to new Apple products. Wild speculation, followed by impossible expectations, then disappointment because the product doesn't live up to the impossilbe expectations. I've gotten over waiting with baited breath for new computer announcments, and instead I'm doing if for new camera announcments. The more things change, the more they stay the same...</p>

<p>I was looking forward to a spiritual successor to the *ist D: an nice compact, dual control wheel camera, with benefit of wheather sealing. I'll wait for the acutal specs before jumping to any conclusions.</p>

<p >Patrick Vesterback wrote:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>What's the knob to the upper right of the RAW button?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It's not a knob -- it's the same socket cover as on the K20D.</p>

<p> </p>

<p >Paul Wilkins wrote:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Hmm, is that a sensor plane reference mark I see, to the right of the top LCD...? How agreeably geeky is that...? :)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>So far, that is my favourite feature! ;-)</p>

<p>Gotta say after reading the specs carefully I am probably more like 70/30 optimistic about this camera.</p>

<p>Few things, the LCD is killer but like others noted just a catchup to the other cameras.</p>

<p>The live view appears to be finished now. As I noted in the K20D review the live view was a beta throw in. Nice, but largely useless for anything but fine tune focusing (where it was rough but worked). The better LCD should make that focusing a breeze.</p>

<p>Being able to copyright my photos out of the camera is a nice touch (again a catch up).</p>

<p>The kit lens and the mag alloy body are keepers, and were on my wish list.</p>

<p>Anyway, the bottom line to me ix I use a camera simply to capture images. I don't need filters, and in camera tricks (like HDR), HDR is best done on a full size computer monitor, and it's best done with 5+ images at about 1-2 stops apart. Then you need to fine tune adjustments. The really good HDR you see on the web took some effort to create. I don't believe this can be accomplished on a 3in LCD in camera. So all the software hacks they add in really mean nothing to me.</p>

<p>The video mode is cool. I don't care about it, but I would certainly use it at times.</p>

<p>Overall, this looks like a decent camera, the control layout remains to be seen as a pro or a con though. I believe this guy is definitely going to find it's way into my bag over a old stock K20D!</p>

<p>So for the people saying should I go with a K20D over a K7. I'd have to say, assuming the K7 pans out equal to the K20D in all areas I'd wait for it to drop a bit on go K7, if you need a camera at the time of the K7 release and cost is a factor then the K20D should be a good deal, Just the finished live view and the improved LCD seem like a decent reason to go K7 in my opinion, plus the build SHOULD be even better. Downside, I did prefer the latchable SD door on the K10/20.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Oh, and the grip.</p>

<p>They added an AF button and AA battery support (both things I was begging for).</p>

<p>Really, this camera only falls short in sync speed, and perhaps they can release a firmware upgrade to boost sync via electronic shutter.</p>

<p>Now I'm a little disappointed just because it looks like I not only need another camera, but Pentax screwed me with the grip (you might remember I swore to never buy another grip without the AF button).</p>

<p>guys, look at the photos in this thread...</p>

<p>http://www.pentax-fans.com/blog/?p=118</p>

<p>in one of the photos half way down you see the LCD on the back with a +- 5(!) stops meter readout. I hope that's real, if so yhat's going to put a smile on my face at least!</p>

<p>Also the 50-200 WR makes me wonder if we can really expect WR ltds and other lenses? I know the 50-200 is the 'other' kit lens, but I have dreams that if they seal their cheapest lenses it just makes sense to seal the rest too...</p>

<p>the slow shutter speed NR is switchable again too...as are very nice custom settings on the same photo that shows that to do with fine tuning what kind of NR the camera does...</p>

<p>Have a look at those images!</p>

<p>Thanks for that link, J.P. The DA 50-200 WR looks very beefed up, making me doubt they'll start weatherproofing the Limiteds.</p>

<p>Yes, that does say +/- 5 stops. Wow!</p>

<p>Still no mention of custom AF adjustment. This might sound rash, but I will not purchase the K-7 if it doesn't incorporate this feature.</p>

<p>The battery is different to the K10/20D's. While not a dealbreaker, it's certainly very annoying, as it means I would have to purchase more batteries and then carry two sets of different batteries with me if I take the K-7 as a main camera and the K10D as a backup. I hope the new battery has better endurance.</p>

<p>I'm reading J.P.'s linked page through BabelFish...and this might be the most important part (especially for Javier):</p>

<blockquote>

<p>viewfinder's coverage fraction indeed elephant, the fable was equally 100%.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Elephant, guys, it's coverage is <em>elephant</em> . But this might be a fable... :-(</p>