availability of canon lenses is a big problem (just in Germany)

scylla

<p>About two weeks ago my 1.4 50 mm fell on the floor and now it´s at canon service- estimated time for repair 3-4 weeks, I lost my 85 mm 1.8 one week ago- bad luck. And now I try to buy new lenses here in Germany and it seems to be so that canon is not really interested in to sell things. 24-70 L at the time not available, 85 mm 1.8 not before 6-8 weeks like also the 100 mm F2.0. It´s a german canon problem or is this worldwide?<br>

I ordered now the Zeiss planar 85 mm...<br>

</p>

<p>Frank:</p>

<p>I hate when that happens. Usually when I need something in a hurry there's a good reason for it. I don't think this is a unique problem to Germany. The supply of lenses here in the USA is a bit tighter than usual. I suppose it's due to the economy and manufacturers cutting back on production.</p>

<p>A similar question was asked about a week ago here where I went into detail on manufacturer planning and building schedules. I know something about that because the majority of my photo work has been product/catalog work for Asia based manufacturers. Do a search for that thread.</p>

<p>The main point is, this stuff isn't discontinued, it's just "constrained" as they call it. You'll have to keep an eye out. There's one lens in particular that has been elusive for years, the Canon 400 5.6. This one is in and out of inventory, mostly out. Primes are not as abundant as zooms in general. </p>

<p>I would try B&H PHoto video in NYC if they ship international. Or even Ebay (Yikes)...., Adorama, Sammy's Camera, KEH. But the main thing is you have to keep an eye out. I keep missing the 400 because when they have it I don't have the cash, and when I have the cash they dont' have stock.</p>

<p>Good Luck.</p>

<p>I usually order from German e-stores which I have found to be quite reliable and often better priced than stores in Greece where I live. What I do is Google the model of the equipment I wish to purchase together with the word: "Preisvergleich" which means "price comparison". I get a list of stores and respective prices (several sites do that and sometimes list different stores). There you can also find availability information as well as comments about the e-store by customers. This procedure saves you the time to visit stores and provides a global view of what is available and at what price. I have purchased from several stores and I am happy with all.</p>