Best wide angle for 40d

duke_warren

<p>Thanks to all for the very infomative info. Looks like I will be going with the EFS Canon 10-22mm since it is made for the smaller sensor and I will get a true 10mm out of it.<br>

Thanks again to all who replied....you have made my choice very easy.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Looks like I will be going with the EFS Canon 10-22mm since it is made for the smaller sensor and I will get a true 10mm out of it.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>No you will not..!<br>

<em>Any</em> 10mm lens on a 1.6x body will give you an effective 16mm. The "multiplier" doesn't go away just because you've put a certain lens on the camera - Steven F made an error in his comments, and Theo spells this out very clearly.</p>

<p>Sorry guys, I did not catch the mistake. I think the 10mm will be what I'm looking for. As I said before I had a 18-55 and I liked it so if that was not a true 18-55 (on the small sensor) The 10mm will be excellant for me.<br>

Thanks again for keeping me straight and all the info. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>As I said before I had a 18-55 and I liked it so if that was not a true 18-55 (on the small sensor)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Just to muddy the water, of course the EF-S 18-55mm gives you true 18-55mm focal lengths! It is due to the smaller sensor that -- if you think of 35mm/full-frame format as standard -- the apparent <i>field-of-view </i> (and nothing else) is equivalent to a ~28-85mm lens in the larger format. Same goes for the 10mm, 12mm etc focal lengths.</p>

<p>Canon 10-22mm is the widest lens you can get for this camera. Well, except the Peleng 8mm fisheye. I love the Canon lens. Its super wide and has supurb image quality. It is NOT a fisheye, which I like because I do a lot of landscapes. If you want a fisheye, Canon makes a 15mm, but it doesn't have a great effect on the 40D with a crop sensor. I have heard people say the Peleng 8mm fisheye is fun to use, however I've never used one so I can't give my 2 cents about it.</p>