AMAZING Fine Art

<blockquote>

<p>And who would that be?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I thought that would have been rather self-evident: a piece has demonstratable value if a dollar price can be attached to it. Those who matter are the ones whose opinion, by either station or pocket book, are material.</p>

<p>I thought the work was interesting. Certainly I would prefer to see it in person, as I assume they are on a larger scale than what can be shown on a computer monitor.</p>

<p>The work leaves questions about the nature of the process and the intent of the artist that I have not yet decided upon. It appears to be a kind of mosaic-style photography, similar to David Hockney's work but more architectonic, and certainly with a deliberate desire to make the seams line up where possible. As to the photographer's goal it seems that his work achieves a vague, painterly quality, so I can only speculate that his purpose was to deconstruct real-world, mundane spaces into their abstract geometric components in a sort of expressionist manner. The vantage point, chosen almost universally from above, serves to flatten the subject and therefore de-emphasize the photographic nature of the process.</p>

<p>Overall, though, I am left with a feeling that either I haven't caught on to some insight or subtlety underlying the work, or that there is not much actually there. I think it doesn't really ascend to a state of notability as fine art that I have seen in other photographic work (e.g., the aforementioned works by Hockney). Indeed, I've seen images from other photo.net photographers that I consider to be artistically superior and conceptually more cohesive. And no, I'm not talking about stereotypical landscapes or portraiture or "pretty pictures."</p>