Proper Case for New FD 85mm F1.2 L

cadillacmike

<p>Hi, to all - I haven't been on in a while - it's been busy here. While trying to pass the time away on my year long paid vacation to afghanistan, I picked up a New FD 85mm F1.2 L lens, but it didn't come with the case. I have all the brochures at home, but that doesn't help me here. Can anyone tell me the correct LH-C or LH-D whatever case is the one listed for this lens so i can try to find one. I don't want it to get trashed when I return home later this fall.<br>

Thanks in advance, Mike.</p>

<p>OK, thanks, I was thinking that would be the one. I think I have one here but it's holding my New FD 20-35 F3.5 L! I'm putting together an order list from them (KEH), might have to make two orders, one for here with that case and the other for home. My wife's going to go ballistic!<br>

Mike -143rd ESC</p>

<p>Mike, I don't bother with the "proper" cases for my FD lenses, but use Lowepro cases instead. They're much more dust and weather resistant than the stock FD cases, and their pliable shells make them easier to pack.</p>

<p>I believe that the Lowepro case that perfectly accommodates my 85/1.2 L is the LC 1W.</p>

<p>Mark, He does want the proper case. Military baggage will be thrown into a shipping container, bounced across the country to Kuwait (the roads in Iraq are comparable to pig trails), banged around several container handling yards, loaded on a ship for around a 30 day trip to the States, banged around several more container handling yards, then shipped to their final destination in the States. Remember that this is an 85/1.2 L. A pliable case would leave Mike with a pile of junk</p>

<p>Mike, One thing that I found worked well with the hard cases was to place the lens in a zip-loc bag and then insert it into the case. This will keep the moondust out of the lenses. All mine came back just as clean as when they left the States.</p>

<p>Well I hope this thread stops right here before it creates a big storm that doesn't have anything to do with Canon FD camera equipment. I would have never expected this to happen here. Our normal noise maker is FD lenses on EOS cameras.</p>

<p>Political opinions and snide remarks acheive only arguments, name calling and discontent and have no place here.<br>

Use the four-way test before posting. It's also handy in your daily life.<br>

Is it the TRUTH?<br>

Is it FAIR to all concerned?<br>

Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?<br>

Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?</p>

<p>Phillip, That is Mike that asks about the LH-C13 but I let me add, I have many FD lens cases and I have always been disappointed with the hoods not fitting in the case with the lens.</p>

<p>I want to get some of the soft cases that Mark P. mentions, to hang on my belt for those times that I need an extra lens and don't want to lug a bag. 80-200 f4, 35-105 f3.5 and a 24, one on the camera and two on the belt. I might would put a 50 f1.4 in the case with the 24.</p>

<p>I know that Canon made cases that lens hoods would fit in, but I have never seen a chart stating what hood fit what case. These were small side opening cases. Occasionally you see them with 2X extension tubes. Anyone know if they made one of these cases for the larger (72mm and up) hoods?</p>

<p>Hi all, I just wanted to know the right size to put it in for when I eventually get home. I'm also getting an LH-D13 and 16 (probably EOS cases) to see if they fit the lens with its hood (I don't have a hood anyway). I'm not trusting any of this to the army's shipping, it's going in my backpack and i'm carrying it on the plane with me! If i have to leave out an extra uniform, or a change of underwear, then I'll live with that! And if anyone thougt iraq was dirty - they have never been to kandahar afghanistan! Everything gets an instant coating of dust within seconds...<br>

As far as cases for hoods, you can fit any 52, 55 or 58mm hood in the cases that the old FL and early FD lenses came in. I have dozens of those cases, all like new. and most with an FL hood in them.<br>

When I take cameras out for shooting, I use Tamrac cases, I have the huge 614 Super Pro - their biggest with 2 Motorized F-1s and several lenses. But I only take that when I'm doing a wedding etc. I have some smaller Tamracs as well as a few Canon bags (I like the forest green one of the 90s) that holds one camera and some lenses. Even with those cases, the big hoods usually get tossed in the top of the case since they don't fit well in the lens pockets. The 24, 28, 35, and 50mm lenses all fit in the pockets with their hoods inverted. And my 80-200mm F4 with the built in hood fits nicely. Man i like that lens!</p>

<p>Mike the hood for the 85 F1.2 is a large plastic affair (a flimsy version of the L series EF hoods!) It is not that well made and the attachment tends to wear. However, it does help if you are shooting at angles towards the sun as it keeps flare down and more importantly keeps contrast high.</p>

<p>Phil, I've seen the hood, it's about the biggest bayonet hood they ever made. And the locking tabs do wear easily. But as you said, it's useful. I use the hoods on all my other lenses, so i'll eventually get this one as well, but probably not until i get home.</p>

<p>Somebody, B+W I believe, makes an aluminum hood with matte black finish that screws onto the filter threads. Very nicely made; I have one for my 85 f/1.2. I stopped using it when I found one of the cheap plastic Canon hoods. Because it screws onto the filter threads, you can't store it inverted.</p>

<p>Raid-<br>

Will putting a small dessicant pack eliminate humidity/fungus concerns or will it conversely cause seals and grease to dry out? I just ordered a few hard cases from KEH for storage purposes and now am wondering if I should store my lenses in them (with a small packet of dessicant).</p>