Today's acceptable photo quality

<p>So what I'm reading is that there should be no problem with providing a cd of images to a customer as long as the photog ensures that the images are the best they can produce. The customer can print (under license) and the reulting prints shouldn't negatively affect attracting future customers.</p>

Ian Shalapata
ipsfoto.com | info@ipsfoto.com
Freelance Multimedia Journalist

<p>

<blockquote>

<p >The customer can print (under license) and the reulting prints shouldn't negatively affect attracting future customers.</p>

</blockquote>

<p > </p>

<p >I would be more concerned that your images be reproduced with the highest quality intended when the reproductions are seen by the most people. This usually would fall under the catagory of mass production organizations like media outlets, fine art photography publications, etc.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >If it's just regular folks, a reasonable facsimile should suffice.</p>

<br />

</p>

<p >I did at one time provide a CD to my customers, with warning that if they used a “one hour” lab the results would not be as they should. I carried around samples of images to show them the difference in quality from “those” labs and proper professional labs.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >I stopped doing it mostly because I could not sell a print to save my life. It was clear that no matter what I said to them to show the difference, they went to who knows where to get prints and most likely made copies to pass around to family and such.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Since I stopped giving them CDs, my print sells are doing fairly well now. Imagine that….</p>

<p > </p>

<p >I still do provide a CD of “Proof” size/quality images with no rights to print on their own. I also offer to sell them a complete CD of high res images for a price.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >So, will it hurt your ability to book future clients due to bad prints made by past clients? I think that is hard to answer and I guess it would be possible if the right/wrong person came along, but I would not think it will kill your business. But from my standpoint, I want to control every aspect of the process to create the images I give my customers. I do, however depend on a lab to make my prints, but I get them first and proof them before sending on to the customer. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >Bottom line for is that I am a part timer and so I would like to hear form the real pros on this as well.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Jason</p>

<blockquote>

<p>It's not about people avoiding you because they don't like a poorly handled print. It's about them not seeking you out because they weren't amazed by a print.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Although if you hadn't given the client a CD, then that print they made at Walmart wouldn't exist and therefore your chance of impressing the friend would be zero which is worse than very low in my book!</p>